JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
cridgit001 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via AIM to cridgit001
12-03-2008, 11:56 PM

America's ISP's are retarded. I hate Comcast with a passion because of their, "We want to stop piracy so you only get 250 gigs per month".

On the download speed part, Japan has rolled out a 1 gig/per second backbone so LittleBig Planet would be downloaded in under a minute. Sounds pretty reasonable to me.
(#22 (permalink))
Old
XjapanFOREVER (Offline)
In X we Trust

Send a message via MSN to XjapanFOREVER
12-03-2008, 11:58 PM

Even though you haven't had to re-download something, doesn't mean someone else hasn't.

it may be faster, but reliability is always an issue.

did I mention that a 1TB disc drive is in the works? the I/O rate is going to be around 100MB/sec.
Want a 1TB optical drive? Call/Recall me • The Register

Quote:
Originally Posted by cridgit001 View Post
On the download speed part, Japan has rolled out a 1 gig/per second backbone so LittleBig Planet would be downloaded in under a minute. Sounds pretty reasonable to me.
That's just Japan, gaming is a world-wide industry.
Someone at Square was just saying at TGS how Japan has lost the edge on gaming, and they're trying to get that back. It's good Japan has it, but most game developers are looking at the broader spectrum. more money

Microsoft is making computer's just like air conditioners; they work properly until you open WINDOWS.

Last edited by XjapanFOREVER : 12-04-2008 at 12:00 AM.
(#23 (permalink))
Old
cridgit001 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-04-2008, 12:19 AM

Well yeah, I was just saying that that speed of transfer is out there on the commercial market. The fastest I have had is 1.6 mb/sec download. Anyway, here is an article I found about the 400 gig disk, IGN Advertisement
(#24 (permalink))
Old
ivi0nk3y (Offline)
Calm Like A Bomb

12-04-2008, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
But look at the music business. You can say the exact same thing about CDs. And when I buy a game from my 360 Wii or PS3 a record is kept of that, so if I lose my hard drive, I can redownload for free.
What can I say about CDs? I don't see CDs going out of business anytime soon at all, let alone DVDs.
Digital distribution is only "the way" cos companies need a slicker way to combat piracy lol.
As for re-downloading, what you gonna do if ur hard drive fails, which it does a lot of the time? Got electronic receipts for that? Gonna burn a hard copy of your game just to make sure you don't have to spend hours re-downloading a game?

I dunno if you're aware but broadband isn't exactly becoming advanced either, with most companies only offering an allocated amount of bandwidth every month, unless you pay much more for your 'plan'.

Either way, it is not at all a thing of the future and will only be pushed as something akin to this by people who support things like DRM and so on. It is much more effective to encode a certain "download" with anti-piracy, than a CD or DVD.

I will always want a hard copy of my movies, games & music simply because I collect them.
Not everyone is like this but there is plenty of reason for Digital Distribution to be nothing more than 'another option'.

ps. the storage solution of the future is SOLID STATE TECHNOLOGY. Right now its too expensive though.

Truth Hurts

LIFE THREATENING
Lifestyles
A HITMAN, A NUN
Lovers

Last edited by ivi0nk3y : 12-04-2008 at 12:25 AM.
(#25 (permalink))
Old
Tyrien (Offline)
I'm e-vincible.

12-04-2008, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cridgit001 View Post
Hi, please learn how transfer rates work before you try and use them in arguements. It's noy Gigabyes per second, it;s Gigabits. 8 bits are in a byte. That would mean (for argument sake) LBP's 40GB would take about 5 minutes and 30 seconds.

This is however assume you're getting a perfect connection to the download server, and the sever you're downloading from can upload at 1Gbps, which I doubt it will, and you're never, ever going to get a perfect connection. Not to mention it's impossible for an ISP to throttle it's speed exactly, and speeds are always "up to". You also have to take into accounts the limit of your ethernet adapter, which the standard currently is a 100Mbps network. Don't forget it's also dependant on your computers specs, and location.

So after all that you're realistically looking at a 50~100Mbps download which would translate into anywhere from 1 to 2 hours. Still fast but don't argue with distorted values.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Look at the music biz, the PS3 store, The Wii's virtual console and the X-Box 360 store. All these devices have hard drives, and imagine the savings by eliminating retailers and physical discs as delivery systems.
True. However with the state of broadband connection speeds and prices it's not vaiable yet as an end-all answer. I don't think DD will "take over" for a very long time. At best it will become a viable alternative that's embraced for consumers. Physical storage will still be around.

Personally I hat ethe idea of having an entire digital movie collection and video games.

Tyrien.DeviantArt~
As of 08/11/2008 5:33 PM Eastern Standard time I now officially own:
Miyavi, Kyo, Yuusuke, Maya, Gou, Aki, Aoi, Jun, Yusa, Jui, Key, Heechul, Yesung, Riku, Kei, Jyou, Satoshi, Takeru, Sin, Teddyloid, ♀Yooh♂, Reo, Tomoya, Tatsuro, Hitsugi, Kyoharu, Takanori Nishikawa, Jay Chou, Hirokai, Die, Kaoru, Shinya, and Toshiya.

Last edited by Tyrien : 12-04-2008 at 12:26 AM.
(#26 (permalink))
Old
ivi0nk3y (Offline)
Calm Like A Bomb

12-04-2008, 12:42 AM

SOLID

STATE

TECHNOLOGY

Truth Hurts

LIFE THREATENING
Lifestyles
A HITMAN, A NUN
Lovers
(#27 (permalink))
Old
Tyrien (Offline)
I'm e-vincible.

12-04-2008, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivi0nk3y View Post
SOLID

STATE

TECHNOLOGY

currently has a poor transfer rate compared to optical storage mediums.

or rather, SATA, and eSATA are used internally due to power consumption. There's no external use for them currently like an SD card.

Tyrien.DeviantArt~
As of 08/11/2008 5:33 PM Eastern Standard time I now officially own:
Miyavi, Kyo, Yuusuke, Maya, Gou, Aki, Aoi, Jun, Yusa, Jui, Key, Heechul, Yesung, Riku, Kei, Jyou, Satoshi, Takeru, Sin, Teddyloid, ♀Yooh♂, Reo, Tomoya, Tatsuro, Hitsugi, Kyoharu, Takanori Nishikawa, Jay Chou, Hirokai, Die, Kaoru, Shinya, and Toshiya.
(#28 (permalink))
Old
ivi0nk3y (Offline)
Calm Like A Bomb

12-04-2008, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrien View Post
currently has a poor transfer rate compared to optical storage mediums.
Lol. No it has a poor transfer rate because the interface itself is a bottleneck.

Obviously USB 2.0 is no speed demon compared with internal devices.

Anyway they have put SCSI and SATA 2 Interfaces on such devices but they cost a bomb.

Truth Hurts

LIFE THREATENING
Lifestyles
A HITMAN, A NUN
Lovers
(#29 (permalink))
Old
XjapanFOREVER (Offline)
In X we Trust

Send a message via MSN to XjapanFOREVER
12-04-2008, 01:48 AM

I've never really looked into SST, any semi-easy to understand articles about it for us semi-technical folk?

I couldn't agree with Tyrien more, digital collections are cool, but it just isn't the same, alot of people complained when X released I.V. as an iTunes single instead of a physical single, one reason could be the highest quality available on iTunes is 320 mp3.

also, with the increasing size of games, imagine the HDD you would have to have to store multiple games on it. A couple TB if you want a decent collection of PS3 games.

Microsoft is making computer's just like air conditioners; they work properly until you open WINDOWS.
(#30 (permalink))
Old
cridgit001 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-04-2008, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrien View Post
Hi, please learn how transfer rates work before you try and use them in arguements. It's noy Gigabyes per second, it;s Gigabits. 8 bits are in a byte. That would mean (for argument sake) LBP's 40GB would take about 5 minutes and 30 seconds.

This is however assume you're getting a perfect connection to the download server, and the sever you're downloading from can upload at 1Gbps, which I doubt it will, and you're never, ever going to get a perfect connection. Not to mention it's impossible for an ISP to throttle it's speed exactly, and speeds are always "up to". You also have to take into accounts the limit of your ethernet adapter, which the standard currently is a 100Mbps network. Don't forget it's also dependant on your computers specs, and location.

So after all that you're realistically looking at a 50~100Mbps download which would translate into anywhere from 1 to 2 hours. Still fast but don't argue with distorted values.

True. However with the state of broadband connection speeds and prices it's not vaiable yet as an end-all answer. I don't think DD will "take over" for a very long time. At best it will become a viable alternative that's embraced for consumers. Physical storage will still be around.

Personally I hate the idea of having an entire digital movie collection and video games.
*White flag* I had no intention of getting into an argument with an IT guy. You bring some good points and shoot down my own which I'm cool with.

Still though, DD is handy when I don't feel like going to game stop or best buy. One note on the, "needing terabytes to get a decent collection of games". If the Moore's Law holds, (which supposedly, in processors, they are going to hit a wall in size(nanometers wise) around 2020) 10 Terabyte HDD's wouldn't be out of the ordinary when the next consoles roll around.