(#41 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
04-29-2009, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cridgit001 View Post
You realize, this is college right, people with this would be 21+, not quite adolescents.
Not exactly. Many college freshmen are only 18. I was only 17 whan I started. But since this says "licensed permits" and you have to be 21 for that permit, it would only be legal for those 21 and older. I had my B.A. before I turned 21, so under this law I would have been an unarmed target through my entire under-grad studies.

Except during my riflery class and marksmanship practice.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#42 (permalink))
Old
kei0kusanagi (Offline)
New to JF

04-29-2009, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalnSG View Post
Not exactly. Many college freshmen are only 18. I was only 17 whan I started. But since this says "licensed permits" and you have to be 21 for that permit, it would only be legal for those 21 and older. I had my B.A. before I turned 21, so under this law I would have been an unarmed target through my entire under-grad studies.

Except during my riflery class and marksmanship practice.
LMAO!!!!! youre right about that and doomed!!!!!
(#43 (permalink))
Old
SaintKat (Offline)
Veni Vidi Vicious

04-29-2009, 06:44 PM

It feels like the people pushing the bill do have good intentions, but it's worrying. There's so many things that could go wrong. I don't think guns in schools is going to help make it safer.

Maybe they could improve existing school programmes against bullying, maybe even introduce sort of like a life skills class but in learning to communicate effectively and deal with difficult situations. Not really sure how to put it.

Nobody is perfect.
I am nobody.
Therefore, I am perfect.
(#44 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)

04-29-2009, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pexster View Post
How do you know that they are mature than men? I mean, yeah maybe you seen a couple of mature women. But They are still unpredictable, like men. That is why I don't think the law should be passed.
All humans, when threatened are unpredictable and even more so under the influence of alcohol or drugs, which is prevalent in the college environment. Given the high stress levels and relative emotionally immaturity of the average college student as well, adding weapons to the mix is a remarkably stupid addition to the mix. I owned two firearms when I was in college - pistol and a rifle with a fixed bayonette. I found that people just knowing I had them and could use them effectively meant they never had to come down off the closet shelf except to be cleaned. Just because females have a greater tendency to premeditated crimes instead of crimes of passion, does not mean committing a crime with one is the much more unlikely.

Banning firearms on campus will never remove all of them, but it will deter those who don't have the incentive to work around the rules. And it will continue providing solid grounds for detaining anyone on campus found with one. If its illegal there is no recourse through claims of unreasonable seizure of private property. Still - I would prefer to see it limited to only lifting the ban on being able to transport them across campus - as in locked in my trunk while I am on campus so that I have access to it en route to and from the campus.

(#45 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)

04-29-2009, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyakushi View Post
Some women are more mature then men, actually most are and they are more indanger of being beatin down or forced to do something they do want (If you get my drift)........

Excuse me! Please do not continue on that line of thinking. You are doing the male of the species a great deal of harm. Yes, women are the prevalent victims of violence at the hands of men - especially when we are referring to domestic voplence and crimes between two people who actually know each other. But there are far too many men in the world who are also victims of the same type of crime and it goes unseen because of social stereotyping, lack of resources for aid, and a general perception that such victims are never men. Men are beign abused too, and the longer it takes for the public to realize this the longer it will be before the problem is addressed on the levels it is for women.

Now back to the main thread of this.

(#46 (permalink))
Old
rison (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-29-2009, 09:34 PM

Let me ask a question directed at anyone.

Instead of enabling students to have firearms on campus, why dont they have policemen armed with guns stationed on campus grounds? Wouldnt this make more sense?

Orochimaru >>>>>Akatsuki,
(#47 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-29-2009, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rison View Post
Let me ask a question directed at anyone.

Instead of enabling students to have firearms on campus, why dont they have policemen armed with guns stationed on campus grounds? Wouldnt this make more sense?
It is just that it costs money.
(#48 (permalink))
Old
rison (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-29-2009, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
It is just that it costs money.
but far more effective.

Students carrying firearms may lead to domestic violence which will certainly destroy than protect these communities that contain schools.

Orochimaru >>>>>Akatsuki,
(#49 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-29-2009, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rison View Post
but far more effective.

Students carrying firearms may lead to domestic violence which will certainly destroy than protect these communities that contain schools.
Really? Most university campuses are very open places and most already have armed security guards. If someone wanted to bring a gun onto a campus and avoid detection it would be very easy on most American universities. Sure we could put walls around the campus and make going to class as secure a process as getting on an airplane, but the cost and time doesn't make that very feasible.
(#50 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

Send a message via Skype™ to alanX
04-29-2009, 10:45 PM

Pay money for photoshoot of an airplane almost flying into another building....
Or pay money to try and help save human life....?

Hmmm.......

猿も木から落ちる