JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

Exclamation Communication for all cultures and the Cyber World - 05-12-2009, 12:40 AM

After spending a healthy period residing in Japan, one thing that struck me was the outstanding ability of Japanese in the art of communication.

Is this easier for Japanese people because they simply have the right single words and sayings and they just know when and where to use them, or does this involve extra stress with an instruction like feeling?

Western cultures are all so different and each individual almost always says something different to the next.

For example, for hello we may say. Good day, Hi, What's new, How are you going, etc., whereas the Japanese seem to have the correct same words for each and all..

I also find that Western people, certainly Australian's and I am guessing "US" to, we tend to listen off the top of our heads, and quite often, we don't hear whole senetences, but rather cut people off by turning our heads and saying Yeah.

I found Japanese we always listen and think, or at least appear to be.

Is this for real or is it just a style?

What does all this mean?

Are humans failing in face to face communication in the real world?

Are we failing communication in the Cyberworld?

Are we failing in both worlds, or is one successful?

Cheers - Oz
(#2 (permalink))
Old
RadioKid (Offline)
Native Japanese

Send a message via Yahoo to RadioKid
05-12-2009, 12:56 AM

Communication is not only sending messages but also including dependence on the environment.

With large common environment shared, people can communicate with less words. It would be what happens in communication of Japanese.

Are you aware that Japanese talker often confirms the common environment with the listner saying "ne?", "desho?" ?

The characteristics of Japanese communication (or Japanese language at the same time) is mutual reliance, which makes miss-understanding at the communication with foreign people.

Language makes Culture and Culture makes Language.

Links to Japan forum Tips :
1) How to remove spam massages on you screen
2) How to post Youtube movies or Pictures

... and
Ask professional translator for your business work. You can not get useful business resources for free.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

05-12-2009, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioKid View Post
Communication is not only sending messages but also including dependence on the environment.

With large common environment shared, people can communicate with less words. It would be what happens in communication of Japanese.

Are you aware that Japanese talker often confirms the common environment with the listner saying "ne?", "desho?" ?
Absolutely.

My little two year old Kai is currently going through a 'Ne' stage!

Messy ne!

Oishi ne!

Cold ne!

Hungry ne!

Gone ne!

Super cute, just that I am now going to bed everynight with the word 'Ne' in my head!

I always took this as an acknowledgement which I think shows the highest standard of communication.

Many Western people fail in this respect, and I have often heard from Japanese directly that they are not good communicators which I disagree with.

I think the Western world could learn a lot from Japan.

Cheers - Oz

Last edited by ozkai : 05-12-2009 at 01:12 AM.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Debi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-12-2009, 01:10 AM

You are asking a lot of questions here.
I'd not go as far as saying that japanese are so much better at communication than westerners.
My opinion is that you might have fell in love with Japan.

For what I know, they doesn't listen better than anyone.
そう...
そうです
そうですか
そうですね
those are pretty much the "yeah.. (i don't care) we commonly hear in english.

Gimme a stick and I'll make a masterpiece out of it, go figure.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

05-12-2009, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debi View Post
I'd not go as far as saying that japanese are so much better at communication than westerners.

そう...
そうです
そうですか
そうですね
Definitely love Japan, the people, culture and food, but that could also be my good past experiences within when I had a lot of FUN!

I was trapped with a good group of expats and we had a ball.

I also made a few good JP friends, although having a son who is half Japanese I guess could also be having an influence

Cheers - Oz
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Debi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-12-2009, 01:22 AM

You are talking about formal or informal situations ?

(#7 (permalink))
Old
RadioKid (Offline)
Native Japanese

Send a message via Yahoo to RadioKid
05-12-2009, 01:24 AM

Quote:
In general, Japanese people are good at Japanese style communication depending on the (Japanese) environment and not good at western style communication depending on the message passing.

You can see it in Japanese deplomacy achievements.

Quote:
I agree for Oz.

Quote:
そう...
そうです
そうですか
そうですね
Sorry, I can not catch you.

Language makes Culture and Culture makes Language.

Links to Japan forum Tips :
1) How to remove spam massages on you screen
2) How to post Youtube movies or Pictures

... and
Ask professional translator for your business work. You can not get useful business resources for free.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Debi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-12-2009, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioKid View Post
Sorry, I can not catch you.
If the listener say "そうです" once the speaker is done speaking, it doesn't mean he listened carefully to what the speaker was saying.
It's not different from when the listener say "Oh yeah" here in the West.

ozkai was saying that japaneses always seems to listen and think about what you are saying, which is not more true than any other cultures.

You say japaneses are good with japanese communication but bad at westerner(english) communication.
We could say that english are good with english communication but bad at japanese comm.

What I think is formidable is the quality of formal situations in japanese.

(#9 (permalink))
Old
komitsuki (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

05-12-2009, 01:44 AM

It's all about pragmatics.

Pragmatics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(#10 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

05-12-2009, 02:04 AM

Quote:

ozkai was saying that japaneses always seems to listen and think about what you are saying, which is not more true than any other cultures.

You say japaneses are good with japanese communication but bad at westerner(english) communication.
We could say that english are good with english communication but bad at japanese comm.
I think it is more true than other cultures.

Now having a Korean partner and dealing with her friends over for dinners, I can tell you that their listening skills are terrible.

Australian friends, it really depends on who, as many of my friends are totally different. No "rule" of thumb as far as listening goes, and the "Yeah-Yeah" thing to me is a poor sign of listening. For a start, it's not even a correct English word!

Now If I was to have a group of Japanese friends over, the conversation would feel totally different and their would be a strong feeling of understanding and warmth in the air. The communication just feels "right", I don't care if it is on the outside or in, it works and feels comfortable for all.

Nothing against anything here, but I do admire and envy Japanese and the way they communicate.

My only disagreement is that I do think most Japanese communicate well in English with non Japanese, and that includes broken English.

Japanese more often than not come accross extremely well and polite, even with limited English vocabulary. They will usually appear very conscious of their surroundings, and will respond likewise with utmost respect and consideration treading very cautiously in what they say, how they respond and that definitely shows to the native listener.

Their are a few differences, one being why the cleaners at Cairns airport cannot understand why the men will always place a piece of paper towel of the exit door handle of the rest room.
I mean it's previous damn obvious isn't it..

I go to a few local Japanese restaurants here twice a week, sometimes with Japanese friends and I enjoy evrything Japanese.

Cairns is a small tourist place, also popular for students and working holiday visa makers from Japan, although we now have a fairly healthy Japanese population which I think will keep increasing.

Just around the corner we have a Japanese Juku.

Go to the main city ANZ bank here, four Japanese girls, three Koreans, and two Aussie staff ratio..

One thing that all my Korean and Japanese friends say is that they are amazed how well I fit in with Asian culture, although I believe in most ways that my communciation actions and style were learnt from Japan as beforehand, I was a typical Aussie surfer that just did not listen or understand properly.

Don't get me wrong here..

I'm in no way a die hard "I want to be Japanese person", but rather, a respecting Australian observer that envy the culture.

I had an Aussie friend in Japan, and if you ask me, he lost the plot staying their forever with his wife who was also Japanese, and he was just a nice quiet guy who I guess felt popular in Japan and was willing to adopt the culture.

I would not do that and I am Aussie born, although not 100% bred with British parents.

I come from both sides of the fence, and can now be respecting for my son who is a touch of all

Hope all this makes sense.

Cheers - Oz