JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
NAPS (Offline)
New to JF

Online Optician - 05-15-2009, 11:44 PM

Right this may seem a stupid idea to many but im studying to be an optometrist who should be your first port of call if you notice or develop anything unusual to do with your eyes. To help me with my studies please fire away any questions you have concerning your eyes, basically this is designed for me to reinforce my knowledge on the complicated subject of optics.

EG:
Q: What are those little black dots i keep seeing floating around? Is there anything wrong with me?
A: This is a natural occurence called "floaters", most adults have them and some more than others. It occurs when the jellatinous substance inside of your cornea liquifies over time and debree breaks loose and floats around (hence terminology "floaters"). If you notice these floaters increasing in great amounts, especially to the point where it is affecting your vision, go and see your optometrist.

PS: One last thing, i am not yet a qualified optometrist, although i have utmost faith in my knowledge on quite a lot of things to do with eyes please dont take my word for anything, also if something seems a genuine problem go and see your optometrist.

Last edited by NAPS : 05-15-2009 at 11:49 PM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Aniki (Offline)
JF's Road Roller

05-15-2009, 11:52 PM

Oh, I have a good question.
Besides all those eye drops and pills that you can buy in drug stores what else would you recommend for keeping eyes healthy?
(#3 (permalink))
Old
NAPS (Offline)
New to JF

05-16-2009, 12:01 AM

There are many things you can do but the best one from my point of view is to maintain a healthy diet, carrots are not just a myth and although they do not make you see in the dark they are very beneficial to the health of the optic nerve and eyes themselves.
Another thing ive seen is something called an eye bath, it is basically a little cup which fits around your eye socket, you fill this with the solution that comes with it and bathe each eye for a few minutes. I found it great for aleviating tired and dry eyes and it also leaves an extra protective layer of fluid on your cornea which lasts for a while, i recommend carrots and eye baths.

Edit: Was my information helpfull?

Last edited by NAPS : 05-16-2009 at 12:10 AM.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Aniki (Offline)
JF's Road Roller

05-16-2009, 11:53 AM

Yes, it was. Thank you.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
iPhantom (Offline)
is a pretty cool guy

Send a message via AIM to iPhantom Send a message via MSN to iPhantom Send a message via Skype™ to iPhantom
05-16-2009, 12:36 PM

When I get up from laying in bed for a certain amount of time... my vision completely goes away for like 5 seconds and comes back again o_o especially when I stretch muscles and such. Sometimes I need to stand somewhere...

Quote:
Since when is it immature to talk about pudding? Seriously, do you know the meaning of mature?
(#6 (permalink))
Old
kcyk8703 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-16-2009, 02:30 PM

I like this thread, it's informative.

So sometimes I fall asleep in class and when I wake up, my vision is blurry for a couple of minutes before returning to normal. Do you know the reason for this?
(#7 (permalink))
Old
iPhantom (Offline)
is a pretty cool guy

Send a message via AIM to iPhantom Send a message via MSN to iPhantom Send a message via Skype™ to iPhantom
05-16-2009, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastFortnight View Post
So we have an optician now... geez. What is happened to JF?
Just tells how many different people come here. we might even have pr0nstars around here.

Quote:
Since when is it immature to talk about pudding? Seriously, do you know the meaning of mature?
(#8 (permalink))
Old
SaintKat (Offline)
Veni Vidi Vicious

05-16-2009, 05:39 PM

Hi NAPS, could you tell me what reasons would make you an unsuitable candidate for laser eye surgery please?

Nobody is perfect.
I am nobody.
Therefore, I am perfect.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
iPhantom (Offline)
is a pretty cool guy

05-16-2009, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastFortnight View Post
Yeah, other than live in a country with lots of earthquakes.
Haha, yea, when I did my leg surgery they needed me to sign a paper showing risks like, the surgery lamp might fall in your leg. I lol'd there.

Quote:
(#10 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
05-16-2009, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAPS View Post
Q: What are those little black dots i keep seeing floating around? Is there anything wrong with me?
A: This is a natural occurence called "floaters", most adults have them and some more than others. It occurs when the jellatinous substance inside of your cornea liquifies over time and debree breaks loose and floats around (hence terminology "floaters"). If you notice these floaters increasing in great amounts, especially to the point where it is affecting your vision, go and see your optometrist.
I think I first noticed these in college when I kep having trouble in microbiology lab. My counts using microscopes were always off. "Was that microbe or a floater?!?!"

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.