(#51 (permalink))
Old
YukisUke (Offline)
Konichiwa, bitches

Send a message via AIM to YukisUke Send a message via Yahoo to YukisUke
06-19-2009, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionshead View Post
Ok, regarding the term Otaku,... it is true that the term Otaku sometimes has a negative stereotype however,

Otaku (おたく/オタク?) is a Japanese term used to refer to people with obsessive interests, particularly anime, manga, and video games. In modern Japanese slang, the term otaku refers to a fan of any particular theme, topic, or hobby. definition from wikipedia

If I said I was a otaku of japanese culture i would be "most likely" catagorizing myself as someone who fits those traits based on the definition, and not negatively sterotyping myself. Otaku is not a negative term. All it means is I really like something, like anime.

So i don't see anything wrong with just the term Otaku, its just the sterotype that goes with it. What I mean is... He/She is a Otaku so all i do is watch anime all day. Thats a stereotype because its not necessarly true and has nothing to do with the definition.

Here is another example...
If i am a Technican, I fix electrical equipement. Definition.
He is a technican that does not do much work. Opinionated Fact
I am a Technican as well as my friends, so we don't do much work either. Stereotype

Hope this helps...
UHHH.... no. Not at ALL!!!
(#52 (permalink))
Old
Pike (Offline)
Asian Female? Where?

06-19-2009, 01:44 AM

I am an manga/anime fan But I do not consider myself a hardcore fan. I own some anime's. However manga/anime's are not the reason I like and want to visit Japan. I am also an Star Trek fan but I do not refer to myself as "trekkies" because I do not dress up and attend every convention. As a matter of fact I have never went to a "trekkies" convention. I do not look down on people that do fall into those categories.

My family and I are hardly home because of our hobbies which keep us out of the house so often I think we should live in an RV.

The Ecstasy of Emptiness
The Purity of Suffering
The Divinity of Loneliness

Last edited by Pike : 06-19-2009 at 01:46 AM.
(#53 (permalink))
Old
YukisUke (Offline)
Konichiwa, bitches

06-19-2009, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pike View Post
I am an manga/anime fan But I do not consider myself a hardcore fan. I own some anime's. However manga/anime's are not the reason I like and want to visit Japan. I am also an Star Trek fan but I do not refer to myself as "trekkies" because I do not dress up and attend every convention. As a matter of fact I have never went to a "trekkies" convention. I do not look down on people that do fall into those categories.

My family and I are hardly home because of our hobbies which keep us out of the house so often I think we should live in an RV.
You guys are very active.
(#54 (permalink))
Old
komitsuki (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

06-20-2009, 01:52 AM

If you think otaku people are weird, then you should see Japanese hardcore baseball fans. Some of them are as worse as otaku.
(#55 (permalink))
Old
YukisUke (Offline)
Konichiwa, bitches

06-20-2009, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshAussie View Post
I want to go to an anime convention dressed like Bill Gates. Play Otaku for a day.
BILL GATES?! Who the F**K is he that you would play him at the convention?! LMFAO.
(#56 (permalink))
Old
Ryzorian (Offline)

06-21-2009, 02:23 AM

I like Anime becuase the stories are pretty good. Still, I am rather amused that every American shown is either some ignorant Soldier or a blond domineering princess.

Afterall most American's aren't blond and being ex army, I don't consider myself that ignorant. It's also funny to watch how many Americans are fluent in Japanese, we all know that isn't true. I know the same amount of Japanese that every American knows...Toyota, Sony, Honda...
(#57 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-21-2009, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryzorian View Post
I like Anime becuase the stories are pretty good. Still, I am rather amused that every American shown is either some ignorant Soldier or a blond domineering princess.

Afterall most American's aren't blond and being ex army, I don't consider myself that ignorant. It's also funny to watch how many Americans are fluent in Japanese, we all know that isn't true. I know the same amount of Japanese that every American knows...Toyota, Sony, Honda...
True, anime portrayals of foreigners definitely aren't the best. Not only anime, but media in general tend to make foreigners the enemies.

I have to say, though... You might not know that much Japanese, but not every American is like that. Maybe most, but not every.

LOVE: pass it on
(#58 (permalink))
Old
Ryzorian (Offline)

06-21-2009, 08:20 PM

True enough, most it would be.
(#59 (permalink))
Old
thcuteness (Offline)
Banned

06-21-2009, 09:22 PM

im cool with the whole otaku thing, maybe cause i am one.

but yeah i can understand people detesting them, ive meet some otaku's who annoy even me.
(#60 (permalink))
Old
Salvanas (Offline)
Great, just my luck.

06-22-2009, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukisUke View Post
BILL GATES?! Who the F**K is he that you would play him at the convention?! LMFAO.
Clueless person is clueless.

- “I've been lucky. I'll be lucky again.” -