LinkBack Thread Tools
(#61 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-14-2009, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barone1551 View Post
Ok I think this is comparing apples and oranges. I dont think JayT was trying to state that anyone who is shot is a thug. I kind of see where they are coming from with 50. He uses being shot to act hard and like a "thug". Whether of not he is a "real" thug, he still acts like a thug.
But you see, that's the main point. He ACTS like a thug. Acting like something doesn't mean a person isn't actually that thing. If that was true, then I'd be pretty afraid of most actors and actresses, that's for sure. A person will act on screen to be an entertainer. 50 Cent acts as a thug to be an entertainer.

Quote:
I know what your staying he isn't really a thug. As he dealt drugs as a kid. I think people can change and people can make a new image for themselves. But he hasnt tried to change his image completely. He still tries to hold on to the fact that at one point in his life he dealt drugs, and was shot and was a criminal. He often brags about it. There are many people who are influence by him, and he doesnt exactly state that he was a thug and isnt anymore and that it is wrong to do crime. He influences people to become thugs like he was, so how do you draw the line between someone who is acting like a thug, and someone who is a real thug.
That's a reason why I don't like 50 Cent. He does influence children into thinking that it's right and fine to be a criminal - so that yes, there are kids today who will commit crimes because artists like 50 Cent are their idols. I think that's terrible. I'm not going to think that every single kid that listens to 50 Cent is a criminal, though.

Quote:
It doesn't make stereotyping them ok but sometimes it is necessary. Especially if you don't know that person personally.
Stereotyping is never necessary. Period.

Quote:
But "thug" is a popular term used in rap, and has become synonymous with rap. The two do go together, and is becoming less of a way of describing a criminal in general, and glorified as a whole way of life. It is used to define a whole genre of rap and style. This is due to stereotypes, but its hard to deny that the word has changed some of its meaning. Its unfortunate because there are many artists out there who are not "thugs".
First, it definitely depends on what kind of rap you're talking about. Mat Kearney raps about love. I don't really think he's a thug. There are a lot of different forms of rap. You're speaking specifically about the rap that glorifies violence. The rap artists that glorify rap create images for themselves. They're not really thugs, as you've said. Why, then, would you want to stereotype them?

LOVE: pass it on
(#62 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-14-2009, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastFortnight View Post
So in your opinion what characterises bullying is the effect it has on the person and not the characteristics of the act itself, but since each person is different, those effects will have different impacts in more or less sensitive people and it makes it impossible to know when it's bullying or not.
No, what I'm saying is that any insult is an attempt of bullying. Always. Whether the person is affected by the attempt or not depends on the person.

(#63 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-14-2009, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastFortnight View Post
What? So are you saying we can't insult at all because if we do we'll be bullying someone?
No, I'm not trying to tell you what you can and can't do. If I said that, I'd be judging you. That's not what I'm trying to do at all. I mean, I don't even know you, you know?

All I'm saying is that it's wrong to insult others, as that is a form of bullying.

(#64 (permalink))
Old
Quailboy (Offline)
Been Here Too Long

Send a message via AIM to Quailboy Send a message via MSN to Quailboy Send a message via Yahoo to Quailboy Send a message via Skype™ to Quailboy
07-14-2009, 11:47 PM

You are all idiots.

Butthurt now? Didn't think so.

You haven't dug your hole too deep until it's killed you
(#65 (permalink))
Old
Barone1551 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-14-2009, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedesjin View Post
But you see, that's the main point. He ACTS like a thug. Acting like something doesn't mean a person isn't actually that thing. If that was true, then I'd be pretty afraid of most actors and actresses, that's for sure. A person will act on screen to be an entertainer. 50 Cent acts as a thug to be an entertainer.

That's a reason why I don't like 50 Cent. He does influence children into thinking that it's right and fine to be a criminal - so that yes, there are kids today who will commit crimes because artists like 50 Cent are their idols. I think that's terrible. I'm not going to think that every single kid that listens to 50 Cent is a criminal, though.

Stereotyping is never necessary. Period.

First, it definitely depends on what kind of rap you're talking about. Mat Kearney raps about love. I don't really think he's a thug. There are a lot of different forms of rap. You're speaking specifically about the rap that glorifies violence. The rap artists that glorify rap create images for themselves. They're not really thugs, as you've said. Why, then, would you want to stereotype them?
Yes, he is acting to a point. He was a thug, he may have changed he may not have. Im not trying to prove or disrpove that. What I am saying is he has always has this persona of being a thug. He doesnt readily admit he doenst do all that stuff anymore, he doesnt hide the fact that he was a criminal. He puts it out in the open trying to earn recognition for being a thug. The difference between actors and 50 is the fact that actors play different roles, they become themselves after this role. They are seen as themselves all the time, in the real world. 50 plays a thug, but never changes when he is in the limelight. He always plays the thug, he doesn't turn off the persona.

Now what I meant by stereotyping is sometimes necessary is the fact that you don't know everyone. There are good and bad people everywhere. It is unfortunate that some people are stereotyped negatively becuase of how they dress, but it happens. Ill use the "thug" thing as an example. Its hard to deny the fact that there isn't a certain look that pertains to being a thug. Not all people that dress like this are thugs. But when there is a movement that sometimes influences people to be violent its hard to ignore it. If your in a rough neighbor hood and you see people who appear to be in a gang. I don't think many people would happily cross their path and hope for the best. Its looking out for yourself sometimes. It should be how you live your life, constantly judging people for what you think they are. Thats wrong. But sometimes, just sometimes, you may stereotype someone. It could be a wrong stereotype, or you could be dead on. But when you see a group of people who appear to be dangerous in a rough part of town somewhere, I wouldn't think any less of someone if they turned and walked the other way. For all they know they could be dangerous. I think it is especially different if you dont know the person or are in an area that is well known for violence. Like I said before you shouldn't go around all the time doing this everywhere. You would just be living a paranoid life. It may be wrong but it is sometimes necessary. I have been stereotyped before, it doesn't offend me. It only offends me if these people then don't allow their opinion to change after the know me. It offends me even less if im stereotyped because of my appearance and I never see this person again. If this person felt threatened by me and chose to go the other way, yeah I may be slightly hurt, becuase I know im not a bad person. But in the end I can understand that they may have just been looking out for themselves.

The King wore a crown. Now he is the king of kings.
(#66 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-14-2009, 11:51 PM

Quote:
This is a forum, open to the entire Internet. Therefore, if someone were to say, "You're an idiot," then it's open for thousands of people to read. If I felt hurt by that statement, then it's possible that I could feel humiliated because of the chance that so many people could read what was said to me. To me, it's the same thing.
Just because you feel bullied doesn't mean someone was bullying you. Just as if you don't feel bullied doesn't mean that someone wasn't bullying you.

Just as just because I feel discriminated against doesn't mean I was discriminated.
(#67 (permalink))
Old
Salvanas (Offline)
Great, just my luck.

07-14-2009, 11:51 PM

Quote:
All I'm saying is that it's wrong to insult others, as that is a form of bullying.
All that is doing, is proving AlanX's view that everyone is a bully.

- “I've been lucky. I'll be lucky again.” -
(#68 (permalink))
Old
Quailboy (Offline)
Been Here Too Long

Send a message via AIM to Quailboy Send a message via MSN to Quailboy Send a message via Yahoo to Quailboy Send a message via Skype™ to Quailboy
07-14-2009, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvanas View Post

Exactly..I'm pretty sure you guys have this thread covered.

Oh yeah, Salv. Your tacky. I hope that hurt. I'm a big ol inter-bully.

You haven't dug your hole too deep until it's killed you
(#69 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-15-2009, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvanas View Post

As I told AlanX, I don't think that's true. I know people who would never degrade others, because they don't feel the need to.

MMM: I disagree. If someone can point out to a statement saying, "This is where you bullied me," and, "This is where you discriminated against me," and it turns out that they have indeed had someone insult them or say something discriminating, then they've been bullied and they've been discriminated against. If someone has degraded another person and they didn't mean to, then all they have to do is apologize and the issue is over. If a person feels emotionally harmed, however, then yes - they've been bullied.

Barone: Everyone is constantly putting up an act. It's a huge part of social life. You will act different at home than you will act when you're in public, surrounded by strangers. Actors and actresses also present personas for the public eye. It's the same thing that 50 Cent does. He's not really a thug. That's something we've agreed on. I'm not sure why it's still a topic to discuss.

Unfortunately, to look at another person and think that they're immediately a part of a gang because of the way they dress is ignorant.

I live in a rough neighborhood. I see people who dress in baggy clothes everyday. I don't immediately think that they're in a gang - perhaps because I live amongst these people, and see them as human beings.

What do you think of people who work at airports who pull aside people of Middle Eastern ascent? Do you think that they deserve to be pulled to the side, because since they're Middle Eastern, there's a chance that they're terrorists?

Stereotyping, interestingly enough, is a form of bullying.

Last edited by mercedesjin : 07-15-2009 at 12:06 AM.
(#70 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

07-15-2009, 12:03 AM

As a teacher, I would say that I disagree with Mercedes as to the extent of behavior being bullying. Bullying is part of repetetive pattern, but not necessarily in regards to one victim. Many bullies bully whoever happens to be convienent, so it is possible each victim could be victimised once. The act, being part of a pattern, can be accurately labeled bullying.

However, the key is that billies target weaker opponents. Bullies never pick a fight unless they're certain the odds are in their favor. If you stand up to a bully, win or lose, they back off: you are not worth the trouble. Trading barbs between equals is not bullying.