LinkBack Thread Tools
(#251 (permalink))
Old
bELyVIS (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-14-2009, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagato289 View Post
These race names are just so complicated. All I can say is that if you are from the US, you are American, no matter what race: Same should go for other countries.
Good idea. But what would you tell police if you were robbed? I was robbed by a six foot tall, 180 pound American? It wouldn't work too well.

The World's only Belly Dancing Elvis Impersonator!
(#252 (permalink))
Old
Zagato289 (Offline)
Multi-Console Gamer

08-14-2009, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedesjin View Post
That would make things a lot more simple, I agree. But what about the different cultures that stretch out across America? What about the different religions, music, food, and "deep culture" values and understandings? I don't know if it would be so fair to just say, "They're all American." America is a place that has many roots. I personally would like to study those roots, preserve the history of those roots, rather than just put them all under the one category of American.

I kind of wish there was a way to have both, because I definitely agree with you. I would like to just say, "We're all one people." But what about the ones who want to identify with a race or culture because they're proud of it?

It's a Catch-22. If we identify people by their race/culture, then that makes it easier for racism and other forms of oppression to spring up. If we ignore race/culture, then we're also ignoring people's roots.
In my opinion(and for some people im wrong) US is a country of mixed races and cultures. For me, the word American just means mixed cultures. All those mixed cultures here in US is what makes the American culture, so thats why I just think we should just be called Americans.

It's so easy, To think about Love, To Talk about Love, To wish for Love, But it's not always easy, To recognize Love, Even when we hold it.... In our hands."
--Jaka

(#253 (permalink))
Old
Zagato289 (Offline)
Multi-Console Gamer

08-14-2009, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bELyVIS View Post
Good idea. But what would you tell police if you were robbed? I was robbed by a six foot tall, 180 pound American? It wouldn't work too well.
ofcourse in those type of situation we should describe every detail.

It's so easy, To think about Love, To Talk about Love, To wish for Love, But it's not always easy, To recognize Love, Even when we hold it.... In our hands."
--Jaka

(#254 (permalink))
Old
darksyndrem (Offline)
Banned

Send a message via MSN to darksyndrem
08-14-2009, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bELyVIS View Post
Black, yellow, white, faded white, pale, brown, yellow/white, black/white, faded black......?
(#255 (permalink))
Old
Yuusuke (Offline)
Banned!

08-14-2009, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksyndrem View Post
Black, yellow, white, faded white, pale, brown, yellow/white, black/white, faded black......?
HE WAS ALL THE COLOURS OF THE RAINBOW

(#256 (permalink))
Old
darksyndrem (Offline)
Banned

08-14-2009, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuusuke View Post
HE WAS ALL THE COLOURS OF THE RAINBOW
We're talking about races, not sexual preference.
(#257 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-14-2009, 09:11 PM

Quote:
In my opinion(and for some people im wrong) US is a country of mixed races and cultures. For me, the word American just means mixed cultures. All those mixed cultures here in US is what makes the American culture, so thats why I just think we should just be called Americans.
Huh. No, that's true. Maybe that's something I'm going to start trying out in the USA. Thanks for the idea.

The more I think about it, the more I like it. What's the point in stating, "He's a black American?" or, "He's a Latino American?" or anything like that? With each race comes attached stereotypes. Why risk bringing up those stereotypes, when they can just be called "person" or "American"?

LOVE: pass it on

Last edited by mercedesjin : 08-14-2009 at 09:11 PM. Reason: question mark
(#258 (permalink))
Old
Kawatta (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Kawatta Send a message via MSN to Kawatta Send a message via Skype™ to Kawatta
08-14-2009, 09:12 PM

Quote:
If you hadn't said it, i would have, nice one.
(#259 (permalink))
Old
darksyndrem (Offline)
Banned

08-14-2009, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedesjin View Post
Huh. No, that's true. Maybe that's something I'm going to start trying out in the USA. Thanks for the idea.

The more I think about it, the more I like it. What's the point in stating, "He's a black American?" or, "He's a Latino American?" or anything like that? With each race comes attached stereotypes. Why risk bringing up those stereotypes, when they can just be called "person" or "American"?
Because a "Black American" is black, and a "latino American" is latino?
It's not bring up stereotypes, it's bringing up races. Now, it's your turn, go ahead...ask me why I posted this, since your obviously going to ignore it anyhow.
(#260 (permalink))
Old
Yuusuke (Offline)
Banned!

08-14-2009, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksyndrem View Post
We're talking about races, not sexual preference.
I was too XD

Closed Thread