Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
burkhartdesu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Buddhist Monk arrested for growing Marijuana - 09-17-2009, 06:53 PM

TOKYO
- A Buddhist monk was arrested Wednesday for growing cannabis marijuana near his temple in northern Japan, a police official said.

Michimaru Obara, 48-year-old monk at Eikoji shrine in Iwate prefecture (state), is suspected of cultivating about 5.3 pounds of marijuana, according to a police official who refused to give his name due to policy.

Authorities also suspect the monk sold at least 1.7 ounces of the illegal plant to an office worker near Tokyo, the official said.

Obara has already been arrested for drug possession, after police found marijuana at his home last month. The monk has admitted he cultivated the plant for personal and religious consumption, but denies selling his harvest, reports said.

Drug penalties in Japan are harsh. Convicted drug users face up to life in prison under anti-narcotics laws, although most first-time offenders get suspended prison terms.

----------------

Thoughts?
Is Marijuana for religious use acceptable?

Some Buddhist priests believe it to be the most holy of plants, and there are many written records that suggest that the founder of Buddhism, Gautama Siddhartha, lived primarily on marijuana seeds and leaves in the years before his enlightenment. Recently 2,700 year old marijuana was found in Yanghai Tombs near Turpan, China.

Rastafarians and some modern Gnostic Christians believe that the Tree of Life referred to in one Biblical passage ("the leaves of the Tree of Life [that] are for the healing of the nations”) refers to the marijuana plant.

Some historians believe that oil derived from marijuana seeds was a central ingredient in Jewish and Christian holy anointing oils. Some of the healing miracles of Jesus have even been attributed to the anointing oils – the drug can take effect through skin absorption, and marijuana can relieve the effects of glaucoma, skin ailments and menstrual pains.

There is a long history of marijuana associated with Hinduism, since about 1500 BC by some records. It is most commonly consumed in a drink called bhang, mixed in with spices, milk and sugar and drunk during Holi and Baisakhi, key festivals of the Hindu religion. The marijuana plant is associated with the god Shiva, and many Shiavites smoke it in clay pipes called chillums, believing it to be a gift from Shiva to help humans reach a higher spiritual level.

Last edited by burkhartdesu : 09-17-2009 at 06:55 PM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
solemnclockwork (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-17-2009, 11:09 PM

[quote=burkhartdesu;771866][b]
Rastafarians and some modern Gnostic Christians believe that the Tree of Life referred to in one Biblical passage ("the leaves of the Tree of Life [that] are for the healing of the nations”) refers to the marijuana plant.

Some historians believe that oil derived from marijuana seeds was a central ingredient in Jewish and Christian holy anointing oils. Some of the healing miracles of Jesus have even been attributed to the anointing oils – the drug can take effect through skin absorption, and marijuana can relieve the effects of glaucoma, skin ailments and menstrual pains.

5 Religions You Didn’t Know Used Marijuana

Some historians believe that oil derived from marijuana seeds was a central ingredient in Jewish and Christian holy anointing oils. Some of the healing miracles of Jesus have even been attributed to the marijuana in the anointing oils – the drug can take effect through skin absorption, and marijuana can relieve the effects of glaucoma, skin ailments and menstrual pains.

In addition to this, Rastafarians and some modern Gnostic Christians believe that the Tree of Life referred to in one Biblical passage ("the leaves of the Tree of Life [that] are for the healing of the nations”) refers to the marijuana plant.

It would be better for you to do your own research.

Gnosticism is not Christianity for one.

Jesus did not anoint ANYONE with oil.

Old testament exodus 30: 22-29. Talks about the ingredients to make anointing oil.

Calamus is translated as a sweet cane.

Original Hebrew is besem qaneh which means sweet smelling calamus water reed spice.

Point is Christianity does not condone marijuana use.

1 Corinthians 10: 31-33
31 Whether therefore ye eat or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God. 32 Give none offense, neither to the Jews, nor to the Gentiles, nor to the church of God. 33 Even as I please all men in all things, not seeking mine own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
burkhartdesu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-17-2009, 11:26 PM

And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for food. : Genesis 1:29

"I will raise up for them a plant of renown, and they shall be no more consumed with hunger in the land, neither bear the shame of the heathen any more." (Ezekiel 34:29) A healing plant. On either side of the river, was there the tree of life, which bare 12 manner of fruits, and yielding her fruit every month; and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations. Revelations 22:1-2

"Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; that which cometh out of the mouth defileth a man." Mat. 15:11

Cannabis
any plant of the genus Cannabis; a coarse bushy annual with palmate leaves and clusters of small green flowers; yields seeds and tough fibers, if chewed or smoked produces a euphoric effect

Last edited by burkhartdesu : 09-17-2009 at 11:29 PM.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
trunker (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-18-2009, 02:14 AM

"and they shall be no more consumed with hunger in the land"

i think the munchies disqualifies weed as the plant he was talking about.

if all the fanatics in the world were to partake in the joys of cannabis, the world would be a much nicer place.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
JF Old Timer

09-18-2009, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkhartdesu View Post
And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for food. : Genesis 1:29

"I will raise up for them a plant of renown, and they shall be no more consumed with hunger in the land, neither bear the shame of the heathen any more." (Ezekiel 34:29) A healing plant. On either side of the river, was there the tree of life, which bare 12 manner of fruits, and yielding her fruit every month; and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations. Revelations 22:1-2

"Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; that which cometh out of the mouth defileth a man." Mat. 15:11

Cannabis
any plant of the genus Cannabis; a coarse bushy annual with palmate leaves and clusters of small green flowers; yields seeds and tough fibers, if chewed or smoked produces a euphoric effect
Calamus is translated as a sweet cane, not cannabis. Even then anointing oil is NOT consumed is it?

calamus - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

* Main Entry: cal·a·mus
* Pronunciation: \ˈka-lə-məs\
* Function: noun
* Inflected Form(s): plural cal·a·mi \-ˌmī, -ˌmē\
* Etymology: Latin, reed, reed pen, from Greek kalamos — more at haulm
* Date: 14th century

1 a : sweet flag b : the aromatic peeled and dried rhizome of the sweet flag that is the source of a carcinogenic essential oil
2 : the hollow basal portion of a feather below the vane : quill

I also don't believe that calamus (also known as sweet flag) is apart of the cannabis family.

NOTICE- This was risen on whither Christianity support such and such, thus everything after that comes from a Christian point of view.

These verses are not new. They are almost always found together to support this, to which they are taken out of context. Why are two separate verses in the same paragraph?

Gen 1:29
Genesis also has several things we cannot do today (walk around naked, without lusting, have a perfect tropical environment, and not sin). It was before Adam and Eve committed sin, certain things had a different meaning. At that point everything was pure, and good, until sin entered the world and corrupted everything. Adam and eve was made in God's image, then when they sinned that image was corrupted. Same applies to everything else on the earth. Most undoubtedly certain/all things had a different purpose/meaning before the fall.

Mat. 15:11
This is the verse that is taken out of context (it's a parable). First read verse 2 (Matthew 15:2). Pharisees at the time had a tradition of washing there hands if they had contact with a gentile (non-Jew). Thus Jesus responds with verse 11. Verse 15 is in which Peter asks Jesus to explain the parable. This is what he meant.

16And Jesus said, Are ye also yet without understanding?

17Do not ye yet understand, that whatsoever entereth in at the mouth goeth into the belly, and is cast out into the draught?

18But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man.

19For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies:

20These are the things which defile a man: but to eat with unwashen hands defileth not a man.

Revelations 22:1-2
I don't believe a cannabis plant is a tree which bears fruit. Not to mention this was the verse in your previous post that Gnostics refer to. I don't see how this verse relates to cannabis, when the description doesn't even fit.

Ezekiel 34:29
Interesting, how do yo automatically assume it's cannabis?

It could be read two ways. One being a messianic prophecy or plantation of renown. (not plant, translation is off).

All the Divine Names and Titles in ... - Google Books

Pg 217 and 218.

1 Corinthians 6:19-20
Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body

Galatians 5:19-21
Now the deeds of the flesh are evident, which are: immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, disputes, dissensions, factions, envying, drunkenness, carousing, and things like these, of which I forewarn you, just as I have forewarned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God

Sorcery is Greek for pharmakeia, from which the English word pharmacy comes from. Point is, against using drugs. Note you have to look at the context of the usage of the word also (this word belongs to a family of words). Each time it is used in the new testament it is used in a negative sense. It always refers to those who use poisons, mix drugs, or use drugs. In simple terms drug abuse.

Christians are to OBEY the law of the land.
Deuteronomy 17:2; Ecclesiastes 8:2-5; Matthew 22:21; 23:2-3; Romans 13:1-7; Titus 3:1; 1 Peter 2:13-17; 2 Peter 2:9-11

Chrsitains are allowed to choose what to do what they want, but WILL suffer consequences.

Galatians 5:13
For you were called to freedom, brethren; only do not turn your freedom into an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another

1 Peter 2:16
Act as free men, and do not use your freedom as a covering for evil, but use it as bondslaves of God

1 Corinthians 6:12
"Everything is permissible for me"--but not everything is beneficial. "Everything is permissible for me"--but I will not be mastered by anything.

2 Peter 2:18-19
For speaking out arrogant words of vanity they entice by fleshly desires, by sensuality, those who barely escape from the ones who live in error, promising them freedom while they themselves are slaves of corruption; for by what a man is overcome, by this he is enslaved.

31 Whether therefore ye eat or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God. 32 Give none offense, neither to the Jews, nor to the Gentiles, nor to the church of God. 33 Even as I please all men in all things, not seeking mine own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
burkhartdesu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-18-2009, 03:28 AM

Okay, really, this wasn't about Christianity.

It's about a Buddhist Monk.

By the way, I never mentioned "Calamus" once. I'm not sure what you're trying to argue.

But to continue this further:

Cannabis is kaneh bosm in the bible before the “Authorized” versions of the bible became available. The 5 passages that experienced the “MISSING” are, Exodus 30:23; Song of Solomon 4:14; Isaiah 43:24; Jeremiah 6:20; & Ezekiel 27:19. These 5 passages are where kaneh bosm was miss-translated to cane or calamus or sweet calamus or fragrant cane or sweet cane or fragrant calamus or sweet smelling inscense or sweet inscense with in my 4 Bibles. Calamus and cane etc. is inconsistent between my 4 different bibles but further is inconsistent even with in each of my four common bibles shown on the chart (maybe not available in transposing to this site..). The chart shows how in my King James Version, New American Standard Bible, New International Version and the Living Bible there is a wide array of what is used, inconsistent in all respects from more original texts using kaneh bosm.

Last edited by burkhartdesu : 09-18-2009 at 03:34 AM.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
JF Old Timer

09-18-2009, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkhartdesu View Post
Okay, really, this wasn't about Christianity.

It's about a Buddhist Monk.

Thoughts?
Is Marijuana for religious use acceptable?

Your words, I gave what Christianity said, while refuting an article saying Christianity supported something it did not.

I believe that was within the bounds of the thread.

(#8 (permalink))
Old
bELyVIS (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-18-2009, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solemnclockwork View Post
Christians are to OBEY the law of the land.
Deuteronomy 17:2; Ecclesiastes 8:2-5; Matthew 22:21; 23:2-3; Romans 13:1-7; Titus 3:1; 1 Peter 2:13-17; 2 Peter 2:9-11
All laws? Germany had a law to report Jews and other "undesirables" to the SS. My relatives died there for refusing to obey this "law". The law isn't always right and I am willing to bet that they didn't end up in Hell.
All major religions used Cannabis in their rituals, including Christians. More people have died from drinking too much water than Cannabis. "Judge not lest ye be judged", allow others to make up their own minds without twisting the Bible to be used to further your beliefs against anything (sorry for using that quote, but it fits).
And Burkehartdesu is correct with his information.

The World's only Belly Dancing Elvis Impersonator!
(#9 (permalink))
Old
komitsuki (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

09-18-2009, 04:01 AM

Cannabis is an important protein source and fiber materials in ancient China, Korea, and Japan and to today.

Some of the "mosi" clothes sold in South Korea are actually from a particular variety of Cannabis Sativa grown around eastern South Korea.

JapanForum's semi-resident amateur linguist.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
JF Old Timer

09-18-2009, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bELyVIS View Post
All laws? Germany had a law to report Jews and other "undesirables" to the SS. My relatives died there for refusing to obey this "law". The law isn't always right and I am willing to bet that they didn't end up in Hell.
All major religions used Cannabis in their rituals, including Christians. More people have died from drinking too much water than Cannabis. "Judge not lest ye be judged", allow others to make up their own minds without twisting the Bible to be used to further your beliefs against anything (sorry for using that quote, but it fits).
And Burkehartdesu is correct with his information.
I'm very sure your aware of the bible also teaching that when authority directly contradicted the commands of God i.e. reporting Jews to the SS, that we do what's right. I'm not debating wither someone ends in hell or not (completely not the point and does nothing more then make hard feelings i.e. troll bait), do not bring unrelated subjects into this.

Acts 5:28-29
saying, "We gave you strict orders not to continue teaching in this name, and yet, you have filled Jerusalem with your teaching and intend to bring this man's blood upon us." But Peter and the apostles answered, "We must obey God rather than men.

Acts 4:19
But Peter and John answered and said unto them, Whether it be right in the sight of God to hearken unto you more than unto God, judge ye.

HOW did I twist the bible, do not make a accusation without backing it up, buddy.

That said show me where I was wrong, then you will have a case that my information is incorrect. Making a statement does it make it factual, we are not dealing with opinions here.

"Judge not lest ye be judged". did I judge anybody? Did I condemn someone for using cannabis, I do not think not. I gave passages, and explained ones which where used to support a position the bible clearly does not. Let me be very clear here, explaining something does not make one judgmental, nor does it mean I'm judging someone.

I really don't see how the phrase "more people die of drinking water, then cannabis" relates to this, at all.

It wasn't Burk information ether, he copied pasted something from the website I gave in my first post (without citing it), hence the reason I put that there.

Perhaps you missed this segment of my post also

Christians are allowed to choose what to do what they want, but WILL suffer consequences.

Galatians 5:13
For you were called to freedom, brethren; only do not turn your freedom into an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another

1 Peter 2:16
Act as free men, and do not use your freedom as a covering for evil, but use it as bondslaves of God

1 Corinthians 6:12
"Everything is permissible for me"--but not everything is beneficial. "Everything is permissible for me"--but I will not be mastered by anything.

2 Peter 2:18-19
For speaking out arrogant words of vanity they entice by fleshly desires, by sensuality, those who barely escape from the ones who live in error, promising them freedom while they themselves are slaves of corruption; for by what a man is overcome, by this he is enslaved.

Last edited by solemnclockwork : 09-18-2009 at 04:34 AM. Reason: left out a part
Closed Thread