LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
minminRW (Offline)
JF Regular

09-25-2009, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbine View Post
Well, that's just sensible; Wikipedia isn't very reliable.
What about google scholar though?
I have not use google scholar, but all easy tools sometimes spoil people's effort.
Searching or filtering might let people lazy.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
spoonybard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-25-2009, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Multilingual ability as a competitive edge
I thought everybody knew that already.... There are a few instances in which people actually get paid more for being bi/multilingual, and they actually have to take a test to prove that they are. Because Spanish is the native tongue of many people here but we are a territory of the US, in many cases, knowing English is a requirement for a job.

In my case, I just like learning languages, because I find that interesting in and of itself. I would like to learn Japanese,Thai, German, and Mandarin. People don't know why, but I just do; it's one way for me to get my kicks. Either way, the only way for a person to learn a language different from their own is the desire to do so; it's something you have to want. If not, you won't get anything out of it since you won't have the necessary motivation to persist.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
samwu33 (Offline)
New to JF

09-26-2009, 06:40 AM

Same as language , more precisely speaking our mother tongue , set the boundary of what we are capable of thinking of ; foreign language ability now limits the extent and depth of the information we can access and therefore what we can think of . It is a pity that there are some people there still ignorant of the rapid changes happen around them .