JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#141 (permalink))
Old
Ryzorian (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-12-2009, 05:41 PM

Honestly, I strongly suspect him being the first American of African decent becomeing president, is why he won the award, that itself is a major breakthrough.
(#142 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
10-12-2009, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryzorian View Post
Honestly, I strongly suspect him being the first American of African decent becomeing president, is why he won the award, that itself is a major breakthrough.
I think I'd agree with that more if this award was based on America alone, but it's an international thing. They gave reasons as to why they felt he deserved it, some of which seems to include how he's trying hard to strengthen our ties internationally (and this was before he won the election) and help get rid of the "bully" stigma that America has and the fact that he's a strong promoter of world peace. We just have to go with that.
(#143 (permalink))
Old
Ryzorian (Offline)

10-13-2009, 01:53 AM

I don't know about that aspect, the nomination itself came 11 days after he was inaugerated for heavens sake. Nor have his base policies changed much over Bush's..particularly on the terror war.
(#144 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-13-2009, 05:33 AM

I realize that 11 minutes is 10 minutes and 40 seconds longer than most of you will be willing to spend on a YouTube video, but this offers a perspective that some of you may not have heard.

Rachel Maddow is not a journalist pretending to be unbiased, but is a left-wing talk show host, just to make that clear. Regardless, she brings some perspective we haven't seen here.

Last edited by MMM : 10-13-2009 at 05:38 AM.
(#145 (permalink))
Old
YoshimiTheEthereal (Offline)
Neo-Nebula

10-13-2009, 05:49 AM

Well, if I'm not mistaken, the vote for him to get the Nobel Peace Prize had to be in in January '09, so he either wasn't even in office yet or just got there when people were voting for him to get it. How is that possible? He didn't do anything!

Quote:
"And so, if you say in a beautiful rose there are thorns, in Lareine there is me, and behind that there are these guys (Emiru, Mayu, and Machi)."
~Kamijo
(Kamijo is the beautiful rose and Emiru, Mayu, and Machi are the thorns.)
(#146 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-13-2009, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoshimiTheEthereal View Post
Well, if I'm not mistaken, the vote for him to get the Nobel Peace Prize had to be in in January '09, so he either wasn't even in office yet or just got there when people were voting for him to get it. How is that possible? He didn't do anything!
I can see you watched the video.
(#147 (permalink))
Old
Barone1551 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-13-2009, 06:12 AM

Great video MMM. Everyone in this topic needs to watch it before making further comments.

The King wore a crown. Now he is the king of kings.
(#148 (permalink))
Old
Aether (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Aether
10-13-2009, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post

I realize that 11 minutes is 10 minutes and 40 seconds longer than most of you will be willing to spend on a YouTube video, but this offers a perspective that some of you may not have heard.

Rachel Maddow is not a journalist pretending to be unbiased, but is a left-wing talk show host, just to make that clear. Regardless, she brings some perspective we haven't seen here.
It is always nice to see things from a different perspective. To me, I believe Obama handled things well. He recognized that while he does not put himself at the same level of so many great figures who won the Nobel Peace Prize in their search for peace, he understands that the Nobel Peace Prize can also be a way to show support for a cause, and in that regard, he accepted the award.

Another thing I would like to comment on are the clips in the video of people cheering and celebrating the Olympics not being in America. I mean seriously, having the Olympics being in America would have been a great honor, and I can't believe how many people were opposed to it simply because Obama supported it. I supported having the Olympics in America not because Obama did but because I did. And I believe those who opposed having the Olympics in America should have had reasons other than just trying to oppose Obama.

In any case, I have to agree with Rachel Maddow's closing words. America should be happy that our president received such an award.
(#149 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-13-2009, 07:38 AM

Although only a small majority of Chicagoans wanted the Olympics in Chicago (which is common for potential host cities) the vast majority of Americans supported the Olympics being held in the US in 2016.
(#150 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

10-13-2009, 09:03 AM

I'm confused, MMM... What was the purpose of that video? I'm afraid a video like that will only reignite negatives stereotypes foreigners had against Americans... Such as, Americans are stupid... They elected an idiot twice and now they're complaining about a decent president!