LinkBack Thread Tools
(#31 (permalink))
Old
JasonTakeshi (Offline)
Conceptual Doubt

01-30-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhantom View Post
No, being selfish means you do it only for yourself. If you also do it for others, no matter if you enjoy helping them or not... it's not selfishness. You have issues understanding what 'selfish' means.
Comming from you sounds really kinky.

I dont need to explain my point over and over again. You're the one with issues understanding what "selfish" means according to my analysis/deduction.

My analysis differs from yours, nothing you say will change the way i see it and nothing I say will change the way you see it.

Edit: I respect your point, but i disagree.

Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like.
(#32 (permalink))
Old
iPhantom (Offline)
is a pretty cool guy

Send a message via AIM to iPhantom Send a message via MSN to iPhantom Send a message via Skype™ to iPhantom
01-30-2010, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTakeshi View Post
Comming from you sounds really kinky.

I dont need to explain my point over and over again. You're the one with issues understanding what "selfish" means according to my analysis/deduction.

My analysis differs from yours, nothing you say will change the way i see it and nothing I say will change the way you see it.

Edit: I respect your point, but i disagree.
Coming from me? o.O, It's ridiculous doing such accusations with people you debate, but ok, I don't really care.

Read a dictionary, they explain it very well. If you're gonna say again your definition of 'selfishness' is different from the usual, then I will just quit ever arguing with you.

Quote:
Since when is it immature to talk about pudding? Seriously, do you know the meaning of mature?
(#33 (permalink))
Old
gyl0119 (Offline)
JF Regular

01-30-2010, 07:12 PM

Please do keep in mind that, there is no such thing as right or wrong, its only a matter of perspectives and view points. try not to argue right or wrong, but instead convince yourself that your point of view is good, without using the context of other's view point.
(#34 (permalink))
Old
iPhantom (Offline)
is a pretty cool guy

Send a message via AIM to iPhantom Send a message via MSN to iPhantom Send a message via Skype™ to iPhantom
01-30-2010, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyl0119 View Post
Please do keep in mind that, there is no such thing as right or wrong, its only a matter of perspectives and view points. try not to argue right or wrong, but instead convince yourself that your point of view is good, without using the context of other's view point.
Mine is not a point of view. Here is what selfishness means:

"1. devoted to or caring only for oneself; concerned primarily with one's own interests, benefits, welfare, etc., regardless of others.
2. characterized by or manifesting concern or care only for oneself: selfish motives."

In the example we had, parents would die for their own child, thus being concerned about someone else's benefit before themselves. there is no possible misinterpretation going on here.

I know and I always keep in mind that no one had same opinions on such arguments, but this is not the case.

Quote:
Since when is it immature to talk about pudding? Seriously, do you know the meaning of mature?
(#35 (permalink))
Old
gyl0119 (Offline)
JF Regular

01-30-2010, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Mine is not a point of view. Here is what selfishness means:

"1. devoted to or caring only for oneself; concerned primarily with one's own interests, benefits, welfare, etc., regardless of others.
2. characterized by or manifesting concern or care only for oneself: selfish motives."

In the example we had, parents would die for their own child, thus being concerned about someone else's benefit before themselves. there is no possible misinterpretation going on here.

I know and I always keep in mind that no one had same opinions on such arguments, but this is not the case.

I can agree with you, in most instances, the parents are willing to give up their lifes to save their children, we can see a lot of these examples all around us whether its from movies or in news papers. however from an objection point of view one could argue that, the life of a parent loosing their child is too painful so that the parent rather give away their life and let the child suffer the pain intead, hence from the perspective of the of the children, the parent has a certain degree of selfishness (which this degree cannot be define). Another way to look at it is that the parent is selfish to him/herself because he/she sacrifice his/her life to protect what is his/her's and in this case its the child, saving the children is devoted to caring for oneself too. So i would liekt o conclude that selfishness itself is much more than a dictionary definition, the degree of accuracy of a dictionary defintion does not always apply to every situation, such that the laws of physics holds true until it holds true. its better to treat a dictionary definition as an insight or as a standard of measurement in society. But when analyzing a concept, i believe the proper way to go is to looking at it from all degrees possible, or think of it in a way where different perspectives creates a bigger perspective.

I am not tryign to prove who is right or who is wrong.
(#36 (permalink))
Old
iPhantom (Offline)
is a pretty cool guy

01-31-2010, 12:28 AM

You deformed the example we had put. There is no bad perspective from the child, unless the child doesn't know its parent at all.

Looking from different angles doesn't make any difference, because they all exist. the problem relies on what is the parent concerned more of, their child's happy life, saving some posession of theirs or whatever else.

And using the definition of 'selfishness' we can easily conclude that the parent is not selfish because their main goal is their child's happy future (unless you would argue even that). See? Dictionaries help a lot.

Quote:
(#37 (permalink))
Old
JasonTakeshi (Offline)
Conceptual Doubt

01-31-2010, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Coming from me? o.O, It's ridiculous doing such accusations with people you debate, but ok, I don't really care.

Read a dictionary, they explain it very well. If you're gonna say again your definition of 'selfishness' is different from the usual, then I will just quit ever arguing with you.
Good, then do it. If you're going to tell me again to read a dictionary, i prefer it that way.

Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like.
(#38 (permalink))
Old
manganimefan227 (Offline)
星の翼

01-31-2010, 10:48 PM

Jason and Phantom= Best debaters in all of JF

My Life Sucks- The kids I babysit have drooled, ripped or drawn on all of the cards and put the cars with the little people in the microwave!

I have no Friends- The cats have scratched and destroyed all of the DVDs!

I always owe someone- In fact I put two os in it!

I always ruin my clothes with Bleach!- The show is so dom suspensful I spill my grape soda on them!

But . . .I'll live.
(#39 (permalink))
Old
JasonTakeshi (Offline)
Conceptual Doubt

02-02-2010, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manganimefan227 View Post
That's the way we show the affection we have for each other. But he is becoming very demanding and "stalky". And Im starting to feel a little unconfortable and defenseless. Im very fragilised.

Last edited by JasonTakeshi : 02-02-2010 at 03:41 AM.
(#40 (permalink))
Old
gyl0119 (Offline)
JF Regular

02-02-2010, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manganimefan227 View Post
yup yup そうですよ