LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
simoscow (Offline)
New to JF

School uniforms? - 03-01-2010, 12:20 PM

Hello!
I am doing a project in school about school uniforms and
I need many different peoples opinion in about this.
Would you be willing to help me by answering some questions?
I have three basic questions and then, if you have time, about six more (a little more difficult to answere maybe). ^^
Please send a message to me on jf if you want to help me! :3

Otherways, please answere in this thread:
Are you for or against school uniform in school? And Why?

Thank you!!~~

(PS. if you answere this. please tell if your school has school uniform!~)
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Undertherose25 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-01-2010, 09:00 PM

I was in a school that had uniforms in Middle School. I don't see the point of it honestly...my school wanted to stop girls from dressing provocatively, but it didn't help of course they just found different ways to show off their jailbait parts.

♥Proud Wife of a U.S. Airman♥

Dir en Grey
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Eureka77 (Offline)
JF Regular

03-01-2010, 10:14 PM

I go with school uniforms because when other students make fun of what you're wearing, you get to laugh back at them.

I love Japan!!!
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Daydreamer (Offline)
Hi everyone

... - 03-01-2010, 11:49 PM

I went to a school where i had to wear uniforms everyday in elementary school but i hated it because everyone looked the same and there was no kind of uniqueness.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
03-02-2010, 05:31 PM

I never attended a school that required uniforms. I was accepted into a private school when I was 10, but my parents couldn't afford it, so I had to stick with public. I was actually looking forward to uniforms because it would mean that it's easier when it came to getting ready for school. No need to spend forever deciding on what you're going to wear if you already have the outfit ready for you.

I don't feel that it would take away one's "uniqueness", that's what after school is for.

They had school uniforms at my younger cousins' elementary schools (they're 16/19 now, though). They never complained about having to wear them.

Anyway, I'm all for them. I doubt kids would be bullied for what they're wearing because they'd be wearing the same thing as the bully and less time having to shop for clothes for school. It might even come out cheaper.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Michelle1968 (Offline)
New to JF

Uniforms - 03-02-2010, 07:17 PM

I agree with SS. I attended Catholic school for 12 years and had to wear a uniform the whole time, as well as my friends, so it wasn't a big deal. My high school was an all-girls' school so we didn't have to impress anyone either with what we were wearing (this was back in the mid 80s).
(#7 (permalink))
Old
thcuteness (Offline)
Banned

03-03-2010, 12:17 AM

I attending a school now that requires uniform, and its not that big of a deal really, I personally like the idea of a uniform, school for learning its not a fashion show. Although personally i do wish our uniforms were a bit more stylish.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
RickOShay (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-03-2010, 12:33 AM

I am from the States, so I'd like to give a few observations about school uniforms there and in Japan. In the states most schools that require school uniforms are private/catholic (to my knowledge), and to me they seemed sometimes snobbish, or maybe used as a form of disipline.
In Japan however, though the intent might have been discipline at first, today I think school uniforms help form a sense of solidarity among students, and help give them their identity. I would even say many students enjoy wearing their uniforms here.

Now whether I am for or against them.. personally I do not think I would enjoy wearing one, but it is not like it would have been the end of the world had I had to wear one when I was in school.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
sarasi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-03-2010, 12:45 AM

I went to school in New Zealand where most public middle and high schools have uniforms. While I didn't like the style/colour of our uniform much, it made deciding what to wear in the morning very easy and took away the "fashion show" aspect that can crop up at that age and is hard on kids from families who don't have the money to buy labels. It also means other kids don't judge you by what you wear, so I'm quite happy I had to wear a uniform.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
03-03-2010, 01:20 AM

I only attended 1 year at a school without uniforms...

Personally, while I can`t say I liked the uniform itself particularly - I do think it is a positive thing. People found plenty of ways to be be unique with accessories, and I saw much much less categorizing of people by their clothing styles.
Without uniforms, it seemed that groups were very clearly cut by what they wore, and people didn`t socialize much outside of those groups...

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.