JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
WSEV12 (Offline)
New to JF

How do the Japanese sleep - 05-09-2010, 03:00 AM

I would like to get rid of my mattress in favor of something simpler. I have heard about the Shikibuton but would like to learn about people's experiences with it. Do you sleep well on it? Where do most Japanese sleep? I am thinking about getting one and would like to know how to pick one out. Thank-you.

-William
(#2 (permalink))
Old
clintjm (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-09-2010, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSEV12 View Post
I would like to get rid of my mattress in favor of something simpler. I have heard about the Shikibuton but would like to learn about people's experiences with it. Do you sleep well on it? Where do most Japanese sleep? I am thinking about getting one and would like to know how to pick one out. Thank-you.

-William
I had a shikibuton in college. Slept okay on it. However most college students can sleep about anywhere at anytime in any environment at that age. You also can beat the space it saves in a dorm or other cramped living arrangements.

Most Japanese I know sleep on traditional futons. However, well off, younger generation sleep on beds.... including their children. However it is a matter or preference too I believe. Also there is a idea being sleeping on the floor make you more susceptible to illness... I think from being cooler on the floor in the winter or something to that effect; plus depending on how often the areas is properly cleaned. I don't really know how much of that is true. Could be the bed manufacturers selling points.

My wife's side of the family and other close friends have always slept on futons, however their children have always been given beds. Not to mention the beds, even smallest ones, I have seen in Japan are really quite expensive. Definitely a luxurary.

In the end I prefer a bed. I can get by on the traditional futon, as I do in travel, and did for a good while living there. Being an American though, my body has just acclimated throughout my life to expect a bed, and I really do sleep better on it.

I would do it if you want to save some space and are one that keeps the floor clean.
Shoes off in that area I imagine too.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MonkeYMaideN (Offline)
New to JF

05-09-2010, 03:31 PM

Hey clintjm, do you think an inflatable mattress placed on the floor would count as a "futon"... kinda?

I have tried to sleep on a futon on the floor, and it was too hard. We also had a difficult time storing my mother's futon it in the storage room.

But the inflatable mattress is very comfortable, and is easy to store away in a box or assemble (we have one of those plug in air pumps).

If I go to Japan (I will someday!) would Japanese people consider it strange if I used an inflatable mattress? Could I easily purchase one in Japan?

They're up in your face, they don't think you belong
Man, you got it, you got it goin' on
What breaks the weak just makes you strong
You got game, baby bring it on, bring it on

~ Donna Summer
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

05-09-2010, 03:53 PM

I usually sleep on the couch. I had a bed. I also have futons. Depends really on how I've organised my apartment on any particular given day. I've seen all sorts of sleeping arrangements in Japan. I think futons are the most common, but other types of bedding are hardly rare.

<- AnimeMusicVideos.Org
(#5 (permalink))
Old
clintjm (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-09-2010, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeYMaideN View Post
Hey clintjm, do you think an inflatable mattress placed on the floor would count as a "futon"... kinda?

I have tried to sleep on a futon on the floor, and it was too hard. We also had a difficult time storing my mother's futon it in the storage room.

But the inflatable mattress is very comfortable, and is easy to store away in a box or assemble (we have one of those plug in air pumps).

If I go to Japan (I will someday!) would Japanese people consider it strange if I used an inflatable mattress? Could I easily purchase one in Japan?
I would prefer a futon over a air matress myself. Also a futon on a hard wood etc floor (if that was the case) compared to a floor with Tatami matting is a different story.

I wouldn't worry about carrying one over there. If you end up going over there for study abroad and have a host family, you have a chance of having a bed.

It might be perceived as weird, or even rude, depending on the situation if you dragged one over there and you were staying as a guest with someone who has prepared living space for you. Dorms might have beds. Renting, of course you are master of your domain ^^/

In general, travel super light, you can buy what you need over there as needed.
Places like 東急ハンズ or other home / life shops have them. They may not be as cheap over there than in the U.S.; like many things.

Bottom line, you can fix it later if it doesn't work for you when you get there.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
MonkeYMaideN (Offline)
New to JF

05-09-2010, 08:26 PM

Okay, I understand.

I certainly wouldn't bring a bed over if I was visiting someone else's house and they had one already prepared for me.

The futon I have is pretty thin, so I guess that explains why it is so uncomfortable to sleep on. If I do use a futon in Japan, I'll make sure it's extra thick!

I guess like Tsuwabuki said, it all depends on how you arrange your living space. But it's gonna be awhile before I visit Japan, I'm just fantasizing right now.

They're up in your face, they don't think you belong
Man, you got it, you got it goin' on
What breaks the weak just makes you strong
You got game, baby bring it on, bring it on

~ Donna Summer