JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Ambitions - 08-05-2010, 10:46 AM

DO YOU HAVE AMBITIONS and have they been fulfilled?

How far would you go to achieve a long felt ambition.

Nothing in this life is worth while unless we strive hard-- would you agree.

I wonder if there are some japanese people here who have had longings or ambitions and whether they have achieved them?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
JamboP26 (Offline)
日本オタク

Send a message via MSN to JamboP26
08-05-2010, 11:24 AM

I think everybody has ambitions. Difference is some people's are bigger than others. My personal ambitions is to live in Japan. Speaking the language and generally living the lifestyle I've dreamed about. I think quite a few people on this forum, would have similar ambitions, but only they can tell you that. I agree with the fact you've to strive hard for it. I really dislike college. The general trip there & back, the workload that sometimes builds up, but I'm pushing though it to achieve goals & dreams. In answer to your final question, I'm guessing 'Yes'. Whether it's a goal or ambition like mine, or simply to be a good son/daughter & take care of older relatives. I'm sure others can explain further.

I'm a Cafe-kko, Nyappy in the World. But GazeRock is not dead. 「Sixth Gun」です

An Cafe, Vidoll, Versailles, Dir En Grey, Deathgaze, the GazettE, alice nine., UVERworld, Kiryu , YUI, AKB48, Buono!, Berryz Koubou, C-ute, S/mileage, Morning Musume, Zoro, Lolita23Q, Visual Kei, Oshare Kei, J-Rock, J-Pop, Idol groups FTW (≧∀≦)
(#3 (permalink))
Old
willgoestocollege (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-05-2010, 11:20 PM

I think a lot of people on this forum will post in this thread that their ambition is to live in Japan but I want to hear other ambitions than that one. My ambitions are to own a business or have a decent IT career, travel the world and be a father.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)

08-06-2010, 02:52 AM

My ambition was always to live in a place it snows and preferably work in the ski industry. These ambitions have been fulfilled.

My next big goal is to retire by 50. This doesn't mean never doing another days work from 50 but I want to be in a position of financial independence from having to earn a wage. My current investments have been doing well and with another 11 years to go till I'm 50 I reasonably confident I will get there.

Less working = more skiing! That's the real goal.

I never really had an ambition to be a father but the wife insisted and now I have a little daughter (14 months old). It's been a great experience so far. Looking forward till when she's old enough to come skiing with me!

Last edited by GoNative : 08-06-2010 at 02:54 AM.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
manganimefan227 (Offline)
星の翼

08-06-2010, 03:22 AM

To write manga here or in Japan but mostly tp be happy. ^_^

Best of luck to you all!!

My Life Sucks- The kids I babysit have drooled, ripped or drawn on all of the cards and put the cars with the little people in the microwave!

I have no Friends- The cats have scratched and destroyed all of the DVDs!

I always owe someone- In fact I put two os in it!

I always ruin my clothes with Bleach!- The show is so dom suspensful I spill my grape soda on them!

But . . .I'll live.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
steven (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-06-2010, 04:35 AM

I agree that goals are good, but it's hard to set realistic goals. I mean, there are always goals that you can't reach, but it can be especially empty feeling when you get all your ducks in a row and just knock them down all at once. It can make you a little lost for a while if you know what I mean.

Right now I'm working on completing a tracking room. I always wanted some space where I could record music and I finally found it. I've definitely gotten carried away and taken the project to a place I'd never thought I'd go. I've learned a lot along the way and feel that I've used pretty much every thing I'd studied in school up to this point. I've learned a lot about acoustics, electronics, and the process of building things. The equipment involved in recording has cost a fortune... the room itself has been relatively cheap, but it has still cost quite a bit.

Another goal that I have is making an archtop jazz guitar. I've repaired a couple of guitars with my friend since I've been in Japan. I started carving the top of a jazz guitar quite a while ago but have been tied up with my tracking room to make a lot of progress.

I also want to learn how to sight read music for multiple instruments. I especially want to learn how to read for bass guitar and solo instruments like glockenspiel or synth and stuff like that. I got a few books on it recently. They are in Japanese, so I'm learning about this stuff in my second language.

Everyone always talks about how great goals are. I like to keep myself busy with stuff, but sometimes I am a little jealous of people who can just sit around all day. While I admit that there have been a few times when I've finished some goals and felt completely happy and satisfied, most of the time I'll finish something only to immediately start working on and worry about something else.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
08-06-2010, 03:16 PM

I think Nekojita has the right idea. You may have some grandiose ambition to do something spectacular someday, but in the meantime there are any number of minor goals or ambitions to achieve along the way.

With some of mine I was reminded of the warning "be careful what you wish for" because once achieved I realized that the goal was not worth the cost. In other cases, things that I seemed to have simply fallen into, really had more work to achieving them that I realized at the time.

Just be ready for time and circumstance to alter any long term ambition. It may only vaguely resemble the dream you start out with, and some times that is for the best.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

08-06-2010, 04:11 PM

some extremely interesting messages here. I think one has to be realistic and not want impossible goals-- but it is good to have an aim in life.

I had ambitions quite simple ones really, one was to breed dogs and compete in shows and breed champions. I did that for many years and was happy. My aim was to breed as near perfect animals as I could. Not always easy as NAture always has her own way and teaches us many lessons.

I have sold my dogs in several countries where they did well and gave much pleasure as companions. I wanted to own an Arabian stud farm as I adore those magnificent animals-- I could not do that so the dogs were a realistic answer.

I tried to climb mountains after Hilary and Tensing conquered Everest, then I realise I was a real wimp when it meant descending from the mountain. LOL.

Its great that GONATIVE can do his real love and ambition in Hokkaido. How many have that opportunity.

I wanted to bring my children up as well as I could, because I had no family of my own, I am quite proud of my family so did not make too many mistakes.

wanted to meet my mother but left that too late.

scottish dancing was my other joy in life. oh so much fun.

Iwish that you all achieve your ambitions. Life without a passion to follow can be rather dull I think.

Now I shall be trying to learn Japanese and understand its culture. I fancy going to hokkaido to see the ice sculptures.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

08-06-2010, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNative View Post
My ambition was always to live in a place it snows and preferably work in the ski industry. These ambitions have been fulfilled.

My next big goal is to retire by 50. This doesn't mean never doing another days work from 50 but I want to be in a position of financial independence from having to earn a wage. My current investments have been doing well and with another 11 years to go till I'm 50 I reasonably confident I will get there.

Less working = more skiing! That's the real goal.

I never really had an ambition to be a father but the wife insisted and now I have a little daughter (14 months old). It's been a great experience so far. Looking forward till when she's old enough to come skiing with me!

good luck to you , lets hope that comes true. children are wonderful, so I hope your daughter has a good life. They are a real blessing.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

08-12-2010, 12:36 PM

any more ambitions or dreams still to fulfil?