JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
steven (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-20-2010, 06:47 AM

I'm gonna have to agree with RickOShay about the pay!

If you're from the states, you don't have to pay taxes (to Japan or the US). You will also get great insurance (which I think covers half of what you'd pay without it).

The exchange rate is a huge part of it. If you are looking to pay back student loans and stuff like that, then you'd do pretty good getting payed in yen (for the time being). In 8 years or so it could be better or worse, but that's for the gods to decide.

Some costs that they don't seem to talk about are things like paying for school lunch, school trips (that you may or may not go on with teachers or city officials), and other little things. However, you get a mean pension (which I think amounts to something like 8k after 3 years), a portion of your rent may be payed, and your traveling expenses (related to work) will often be meticulously calculated and reimbursed. This all depends on many factors though.

The reality is you might not get a nice round 3000 a month... it might be closer to 2500-2600. That doesn't mean you're not getting that extra 4-5 hundo, that all goes to your pension and things like that. Given expenses like school lunches and "enkais" in reality you might bring home 2300-2400 a month. Saving half of that shouldn't be hard at all.

If you do something crazy like major in Japanese in college like I did (which really doesn't have a lot of purpose) then doing JET might be your best bet. I think this worked out better for me than trying to get a job for Toyota. Well... I might've been able to get a job with them in the Summer of '08, but even if I did get that job I doubt VERY highly I'd still have a job with them given the current situation.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

08-20-2010, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickOShay View Post
Umm.. actually JET really is not all that bad for pay (if you are from the States), coming out of college in the States (unless you are something special) you would probably not be making much more, actually probably less, than what you are paid on JET, consider the what kind of annual income (pre-taxes) it would take to get a net pay check of roughly $3000 dollars a month. And this is only for the time being, but consider the current exchange rate as well. I think that adds up to a pretty decent salary. (of course decent is relevant to where in the States you live).

Sure, purchasing power/cost of living and all is different here, but when I was on JET I always managed to save more than 50% of every paycheck.
Sorry, it's just my standard of living.

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography
(#13 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-20-2010, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsToDiscovery View Post
Sorry, it's just my standard of living.
I have never ever heard anyone complain about the JET salary. At 35 hours a week and 300,000 yen a month with benefits, it is hard to complain about.

If your standard of living requires champagne and bon-bons, then it might be tough, but that isn't who JET is looking to hire.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Toastyzeus (Offline)
JF Regular

08-20-2010, 10:56 AM

Wow, excellent.
I think I would enjoy a job like that. (I like teaching)

Seems quite reasonable.
I hear a lot about people on the JET program being mocked for being "foreign" (元亀 .. ? Genki? Is that it?) or something like that, is that true?

Regardless, I hope there is an opportunity like this still available in the many many years to come
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Sashimister (Offline)
他力本願

08-20-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toastyzeus View Post
元亀
What in the world does 元亀 mean?
(#16 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

08-20-2010, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I have never ever heard anyone complain about the JET salary. At 35 hours a week and 300,000 yen a month with benefits, it is hard to complain about.

If your standard of living requires champagne and bon-bons, then it might be tough, but that isn't who JET is looking to hire.
I don't know why you're making a personal attack on my lifestyle. Just because I have money doesn't mean it's all "champagne and bon bons." I just gave an opinion like everyone else, and in my opinion I consider what JET offers as a con. Anyone else can come in and give their opinion as well, and even say it's good money to them, but you guys are treating me like I bragged about it.

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography
(#17 (permalink))
Old
JamboP26 (Offline)
日本オタク

Send a message via MSN to JamboP26
08-20-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashimister View Post
What in the world does 元亀 mean?
On Google Translate, it translates as 'Genki'

I'm a Cafe-kko, Nyappy in the World. But GazeRock is not dead. 「Sixth Gun」です

An Cafe, Vidoll, Versailles, Dir En Grey, Deathgaze, the GazettE, alice nine., UVERworld, Kiryu , YUI, AKB48, Buono!, Berryz Koubou, C-ute, S/mileage, Morning Musume, Zoro, Lolita23Q, Visual Kei, Oshare Kei, J-Rock, J-Pop, Idol groups FTW (≧∀≦)
(#18 (permalink))
Old
Sashimister (Offline)
他力本願

08-20-2010, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamboP26 View Post
On Google Translate, it translates as 'Genki'
lol No way. You can't fool me like that when Japanese is my first language.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-20-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsToDiscovery View Post
I don't know why you're making a personal attack on my lifestyle. Just because I have money doesn't mean it's all "champagne and bon bons." I just gave an opinion like everyone else, and in my opinion I consider what JET offers as a con. Anyone else can come in and give their opinion as well, and even say it's good money to them, but you guys are treating me like I bragged about it.
I didn't make a personal attack on your lifestyle. I meant "you" as the general "you" not "you" WingsToDiscovery.

JET pays more than many other English teaching positions with tougher hours. Again you (WingsToDiscovery) is the first person I have ever heard complain about the JET salary. The majority of JET participants are young fresh college graduates, so for a single person I think it is a pretty generous salary.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-20-2010, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashimister View Post
lol No way. You can't fool me like that when Japanese is my first language.
元亀 【げんき】 (n) Genki era (1570.4.23-1573.7.28)

I think he wanted to say 外人.