JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
KandyGirl (Offline)
New to JF

Need ASAP help with Japanese Customs! - 08-26-2010, 09:55 PM

My mother works at a Ford proving ground company, and this up coming Tuesday she will be meeting up with some Hyundai Representatives from Japan. She is extremely nervous because they speak little English and she is very unfamiliar with their customs. If she does a good job and keeps them pleased this could mean a lot of business for the proving grounds, as well as put her higher up in the company.

I was hoping I could have someone help us in explaining what are the do's and don'ts of this meeting!! Should she try to keep with Japanese customs or should she stay with American customs since they are in America? Should she bow, and should she bring a english-japanese dictionary? would it offend them or gain their respect for her to try and speak some Japanese and do their customs (like bowing before them).

We need desperate help!! Last thing my mom wants to do is to offend them and she is really nervous!! Thank you in advanced!!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-26-2010, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KandyGirl View Post
My mother works at a Ford proving ground company, and this up coming Tuesday she will be meeting up with some Hyundai Representatives from Japan. She is extremely nervous because they speak little English and she is very unfamiliar with their customs. If she does a good job and keeps them pleased this could mean a lot of business for the proving grounds, as well as put her higher up in the company.

I was hoping I could have someone help us in explaining what are the do's and don'ts of this meeting!! Should she try to keep with Japanese customs or should she stay with American customs since they are in America? Should she bow, and should she bring a english-japanese dictionary? would it offend them or gain their respect for her to try and speak some Japanese and do their customs (like bowing before them).

We need desperate help!! Last thing my mom wants to do is to offend them and she is really nervous!! Thank you in advanced!!
If this really is an important meeting she should be talking to a Japanese business professional consultant. This person could also likely act as an interpreter. Even if they Hyundai representatives are bringing an interpreter with them, never count on the other guys' interpreter. Have your own.

In terms of customs, etc. You could fill a library with the books that have been written. She may want to invest in one before the meeting Tuesday. But really, she should talk to a business consultant. Google "Japanese business consultant interpretation" and the name of the city you live in and she should find someone.

This is important. I used to work for a company that did exactly this work, and have done this kind of consultation. I cannot tell you how many companies contacted us AFTER the meeting they had with the Japanese only to find out that spending a couple hundred dollars on consultation to make sure they did things right could have ensured a contract worth millions of dollars. Often they are consulting to figure out what went wrong. Don't make the same mistake.

The answers she needs should not be solicited on an anonymous forum. They are found with a professional consultant and interpreter. It is the best investment they will make.

People may come here and say "bow" and "give your business card with two hands" but that kind of advice is only the tip of the tip of the iceberg.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
cranks (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-26-2010, 11:46 PM

Hyundai representatives from... Japan?
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-27-2010, 12:54 AM

The company won't send people who don't have any skill in English. I was reading a newspaper article a couple weeks ago, and in the article I learned that office workers and middle-management personnel from the auto manufacturers are actually required to pass an English equivalency test. I'm sure your mother will not have too much difficulty communicating with them. Just tell your mother to smile a lot, and to speak clearly and slowly, and to avoid using idioms (look it up, come down, run into, etc) if she can help it.

Tell her not to worry if the visitors don't speak very much, and to make sure that she directs her speaking to all of them, rather than just to the most senior person.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
fluffy0000 (Offline)
FJ to JF

sorta lost - 08-27-2010, 04:24 AM

Hyundai has multiple divisions from Hyundai Motors to Hyundai Kia Automotive Group . But Hyundai is a Korean company.

Nov 28, 2009
The Straits Times
Singapore Press
Hyundai suspends Japan sales
Despite having growing sales worldwide, Hyundai struggled in Japan, having sold only 15,000 passenger cars from 2001 to 2009. Following an announcement on November 2009, Hyundai pulled their passenger car division out of the Japanese market . And the only thing left is a very small commercial vehicle division.

Last edited by fluffy0000 : 08-27-2010 at 04:28 AM. Reason: edit
(#6 (permalink))
Old
nobora (Offline)
Fan Ichigou

08-27-2010, 04:39 AM

MMM is completly right
(#7 (permalink))
Old
KandyGirl (Offline)
New to JF

08-28-2010, 07:03 PM

Thank you everyone!! The company invested in an interrupted so it will make my moms life a lot easier!
(#8 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-30-2010, 01:23 PM

I think you meant Interpreter so you had excellent advice here. hope all goes well.