JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
AnnaJapana (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via Skype™ to AnnaJapana
Hosting a japanese exchange student - 09-04-2010, 06:21 PM

So in January or April of next year My family and I will be hosting an exchange student from japan.They will be a female (since i am female). I am doing this because it will help me with scholarships to go to japan and it will help me find a new friend. and and AND its free
Anyway, i would like to know if there is anything i can say or do to make sure they feel at home. And also things i definitely should NOT say or do. The Lady giving us the information told us that Japanese exchange students are the hardest to host because they can be really shy, especially if there is nobody around that speaks there language. Well, i`ve been studying japanese for about one year now. I`m still far from fluent but i can get the job done. Also ive joined this forum to help me with any gramatical problems i have.
I will also probably asking alot of questions later on when the exchange student comes regarding any walls we come across. But for now please assist me with the main question. Thank you.

Im so pumped for this, even though its like 4 months away i like even made blog xD

My Blog:
http://annajapana.wordpress.com/

秋茄子は嫁に食わすな。
(#2 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

09-05-2010, 09:46 AM

I would have thought the whole point of an exchange program is for the student to fully experience a different culture. So if I were you I'd just be yourself and help them to experience as much of the sort of life you normally lead. Unless you're into some pretty weird stuff I can't imagine anything that major you could do or say that would cause any big problems.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

09-05-2010, 10:02 AM

also if they are with you in order to study ENglish they will wish to speak English.

hope you find time to also learn some japanese. The japanese girls I have met have been gentle and charming and helpful and appreciative.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
AnnaJapana (Offline)
New to JF

09-05-2010, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
also if they are with you in order to study ENglish they will wish to speak English.

hope you find time to also learn some japanese. The japanese girls I have met have been gentle and charming and helpful and appreciative.
Thank you, you were helpful

My Blog:

秋茄子は嫁に食わすな。
(#5 (permalink))
Old
AnnaJapana (Offline)
New to JF

09-05-2010, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNative View Post
I would have thought the whole point of an exchange program is for the student to fully experience a different culture. So if I were you I'd just be yourself and help them to experience as much of the sort of life you normally lead. Unless you're into some pretty weird stuff I can't imagine anything that major you could do or say that would cause any big problems.
Yes i know im going to act like i usually do now. And dont worry the stuff i do arent that weird lol xD Thank you for your answer

My Blog:

秋茄子は嫁に食わすな。