JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
KungMartin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

What's the security like in Japan compared to let's say Sweden? - 11-09-2010, 09:49 PM

I always wondered how well security covers Japan?? Like, if someone broke a law and got away, will the police do everything in their power to catch that person etc?

I got kinda curious cuz I was thinking of this famous legend here in Sweden called "Ghost Rider", who pretty much taunts the law encorecements for fun using his extremely tuned Suzuki Hayabusa (which mixed with his skills pretty much renders him impossible to catch). He even managed to get away with his tuned Snow Mobile (during summertime, no snow), which he drives two laps outside Stockholm Castle before the police are after him.

Here's a video of what I mean:

and here's when he's driving his hayabusa

I think the law enforcement pretty much gave up hope on catching him after a while, for many obvious reasons.

If say Ghost Rider went to Japan and did the same thing, would he be easier to catch over there?

pz ! <3
(#2 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

11-10-2010, 04:38 AM

reminds me of Durarara

police here are soft too, as far as I can tell, I think he could get away with it in Japan just as easily

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

11-10-2010, 05:39 AM

The solving of crime rates is much higher in Japan than it is in the US.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-10-2010, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
The solving of crime rates is much higher in Japan than it is in the US.
For what crimes exactly?
I know the conviction rate of cases that go to court is extremely high here but that's mainly because normally prosecutors will only go to court when they have a confession or indisputable evidence.
Have you got links to how good they are at actually solving reported crime though?
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

11-10-2010, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNative View Post
For what crimes exactly?
I know the conviction rate of cases that go to court is extremely high here but that's mainly because normally prosecutors will only go to court when they have a confession or indisputable evidence.
Have you got links to how good they are at actually solving reported crime though?
I just know the conviction rate in Japan is much higher than that in the US. I really don't feel like fighting about it.

If you think you can find links about how good or how bad anyone is at "actually solving" reported crimes, then please feel free to share.

You will also have to define what "actually solving" means, how you can measure it, and which is higher or lower.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-10-2010, 06:35 AM

Gosh it's all about fighting or conflict for you today isn't it?

You said the rate for solving crimes was higher, I had just never heard that before. Yes conviction rates of cases that actually go to court are very high but for the reasons I said earlier. I was just interested if you had statistics that show they are actually good at solving crimes here. Asking questions is considered fighting now?
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
11-10-2010, 07:03 AM

There are fewer crimes in general, so more forces to dedicate to solving them. The typical police force in the US, for example, solves more crime per person by the numbers but a lower percentage by the actual number of crimes. Also, the severity of Japanese crime tends to be much lower so it`s easy to dedicate a force to every severe or violent crime.

As for whether the conviction rate is the actual rate of solving crime - I seriously doubt it. Conviction refers to the number actually brought to court. I have a feeling this may drop as juries are being used more and more these days. There is also the question of "Are all convictions guilty?" - but there is no easy way to test that.

I would say that the Japanese police force, in general, is kind of slow and bumbling. However, thanks to the low number of crimes, they can bring in special forces when anything serious happens - leaving only the minor stuff to the average guys.

When it comes to something like in the video - the police likely wouldn`t even do anything at all. In general, it has been found that chasing these guys usually ends with them or someone else dead / injured... And that it is safer just to leave them be. When a someone dies on a motorcycle during a police pursuit, the police tend to be considered at fault - this in one of the big reasons that police usually don`t pursue motorcycles unless the rider is already wanted for some other unrelated crime.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
siokan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-10-2010, 07:16 AM

The ratio of arrests of Japan has fallen.

It gives priority to the investigation of the heinous crime.
Other crimes are rounded down and it arrests it by an important offense.
The police cannot arrest the minor offense by shortage of labor.

GR vs
YouTube - Japanese motorcycle cop
YouTube - 白バイに学ぶ究極のストリートテクニック

Which wins? I want to see.

Please permit poor English. orz
Cryptanalysis is necessary for you.
set a goal:English at the same level as Johan Cruyff

Last edited by siokan : 11-10-2010 at 07:31 AM.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

11-10-2010, 07:40 AM

My experience with police here is that they are incredibly bored.
They will bother you about the most minor infraction and take it to the full extent if it gives them something to do for an hour.

Of course that's because nothing bad ever seems to happen which they have the power to do anything about. Crime is everywhere but it's far too red-taped for them.

I just found out that there are special police teams for bike gangs, but the normal police don't interfere.
The special teams have intense bikes and themselves are bike-fanatics that tweak their own bikes.
My girlfriend's bro got arrested by that team cuz he was racing on a mountain in Nara. All he could saw was "oh my god they were so intense, I tried to run but they are pro!"

So I correct myself, Ghost Rider might meet his match.

edit: apparently her bro also had some illegal bike hardware on his bike but the cop sympathized with him and ignored it lol

edit2: I found a youtube video of them; the black panthers hahaha

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.

Last edited by RealJames : 11-10-2010 at 07:56 AM. Reason: add a video
(#10 (permalink))
Old
KungMartin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-10-2010, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by siokan View Post
woah those bike cops are pretty badass. But the thing with Ghost Rider is that he puts his life on the line. I doubt any cop would risk their life the way Ghost Rider does, did you see in the second video how he drives between two meeting trucks in 240 km/h?

Same answer goes for RealJames=) It's pretty sweet though that they have specialized biker cops, they only have regular biker cops here in Sweden as far as I know. Speaking of bike cops, here's a video of Ghost Rider apprently under cover as a Swedish bike cop chasing a friend lol (the bike he uses is waayyy slower than his Suzuki though)

Also, here's a trailer of the last movie Ghost Rider made. Also shows him messing around a bit with mini bike and bob slide attatched to the back of a car lol.

In one part of this movie (u only get to see part of it in this trailer) he loses two police helicopters driving a Subaru car!!

Also here's GR breaking the speed limit with BMX lol

pz ! <3

Last edited by KungMartin : 11-10-2010 at 04:23 PM.