LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

11-10-2010, 04:40 PM

LOL!!

That's awesome, this guy's awesome!

Although I wonder if what you say is true about the cops risking their lives.
A normal cop yeah I agree, but a specialized bike-enthusiast cop?
His pride might stand in his way if someone out-bikes him...
I think it would for me anyways, I wouldn't let myself get shown up by a punk if I was on my tricked-out cop bike with a flawless catch-record...
Odds are the cop enjoys the 240kph through shifting trucks just as much

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-10-2010, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
There are fewer crimes in general, so more forces to dedicate to solving them. The typical police force in the US, for example, solves more crime per person by the numbers but a lower percentage by the actual number of crimes. Also, the severity of Japanese crime tends to be much lower so it`s easy to dedicate a force to every severe or violent crime.

As for whether the conviction rate is the actual rate of solving crime - I seriously doubt it.
I think, as with most things, the statistics don't really illustrate the reality much. With certain types of crime in Japan, the report rate might just be low, so it looks like there isn't as great a presence as there perhaps really is. Also I think I heard that outside of actual murder investigations, autopsies aren't as common as they are in the UK or the USA, so if there are practices like like, it's possible things slip under the radar. My only interactions with police in Japan has been asking for directions and once I was pulled over on my bike, but they just wanted to warn me there was broken glass on the road.

Someone said something about special forces for big incidents? That rings pretty true to me. At the end of my stay in Japan bits of a body was found on the railway track. We didn't realize what was going on at the time (being oblivious to the news/announcements), but we saw a squad of armed police in full gear heading for the river and the track. As it happened, my friend's Host father was there when the legs were found (he called us shortly after we saw the police to tell us to go home because some guy with a knife had been seen and was suspected to still be in the area). At any rate, these were totally different guys than the usual ploddies we saw around town. Different uniforms and attitude.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
siokan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-10-2010, 04:56 PM

Ghost Rider is famous also in Japan!(biker only? )
It is fully also in the Video hosting service(nikoniko douga) in Japan.

This two especially has popularity.

Please permit poor English. orz
Cryptanalysis is necessary for you.
set a goal:English at the same level as Johan Cruyff
(#14 (permalink))
Old
KungMartin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-10-2010, 05:03 PM

^Hahha he always makes me chuckle when he's on a bmx or mini bike xD

Also how do u know these statistics, are u form Japan??

pz ! <3
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)

11-10-2010, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KungMartin View Post

Also how do u know these statistics, are u form Japan??
Who's that aimed at?
(#16 (permalink))
Old
KungMartin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-10-2010, 05:12 PM

The arrow is pointing up, so the post above=S

pz ! <3
(#17 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

11-10-2010, 08:12 PM

Statistics

In 1990 the police identified over 2.2 million Penal Code violations[citation needed]. Two types of violations—larceny (65.1 percent of total violations[citation needed]) and negligent homicide or injury as a result of accidents (26.2%)—accounted for over 90 percent of criminal offenses in Japan[citation needed]. In 1989 Japan experienced 1.3 robberies per 100,000 population, compared with 48.6 for West Germany, 65.8 for Great Britain, and 233.0 for the United States; and it experienced 1.1 murder per 100,000 population, compared with 3.9 for West Germany, 1.03 for England and Wales, and 8.7 for the United States that same year[citation needed]. Japanese authorities also solve a high percentage of robbery cases (75.9%, compared with 43.8% for West Germany, 26.5% for Britain, and 26.0% for the United States) and homicide cases (95.9% , compared with 94.4% for Germany, 78.0% for Britain, and 68.3% for the United States)[citation needed]. This is connected to the fact that prosecutions are less likely to be successfully challenged compared to the above mentioned countries, a fact that has caused human rights concerns and has led to a change in the law which will take effect in 2009[citation needed].

Crime in Japan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wikipedia's take.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)

11-10-2010, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Statistics

In 1990 the police identified over 2.2 million Penal Code violations[citation needed]. Two types of violations—larceny (65.1 percent of total violations[citation needed]) and negligent homicide or injury as a result of accidents (26.2%)—accounted for over 90 percent of criminal offenses in Japan[citation needed]. In 1989 Japan experienced 1.3 robberies per 100,000 population, compared with 48.6 for West Germany, 65.8 for Great Britain, and 233.0 for the United States; and it experienced 1.1 murder per 100,000 population, compared with 3.9 for West Germany, 1.03 for England and Wales, and 8.7 for the United States that same year[citation needed]. Japanese authorities also solve a high percentage of robbery cases (75.9%, compared with 43.8% for West Germany, 26.5% for Britain, and 26.0% for the United States) and homicide cases (95.9% , compared with 94.4% for Germany, 78.0% for Britain, and 68.3% for the United States)[citation needed]. This is connected to the fact that prosecutions are less likely to be successfully challenged compared to the above mentioned countries, a fact that has caused human rights concerns and has led to a change in the law which will take effect in 2009[citation needed].

Crime in Japan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wikipedia's take.
Just shifting the bold to balance the argument for the lazy readers. That's a bit of a text wall. I think there's better stats on the JPD website. If I get a moment, I'll go see if I can dig them up.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
Aniki (Offline)
JF's Road Roller

11-10-2010, 11:42 PM

Citation needed.