JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#51 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-10-2010, 10:54 PM

How many Graduates obtain a worthwhile career when they leave UNI?

I have heard of many who end up doing menial work.

the old days of apprenticeships were often a great way to gain practical skills.

so many of our previous skills are disappearing.

I believe that for the Scots there is help-- but non Scots will have to pay a certain amount.

Many of us are suffering in many ways from these present CUTS.

I just feel the coalition are racing through Bills without really understanding what they are doing.

I was thinking of applying to OPEN UNIVERSITY if there was a COURSE that excites me-- but then you don't get the experience of University Life-- which must be unique really.

How many students study the Courses that will help them on their way outside?
(#52 (permalink))
Old
totallylost202 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to totallylost202
11-10-2010, 11:21 PM

I'm a student, currently in my year abroad. I study French and Japanese back in the UK and will be doing Japan next year. I'm really looking forward to it!

It took me a while to decide between French and German and French and Japanese. I'd done both French and German for a long time before Japanese and sometimes I worry that Japanese won't help me in the long run unless I want to live in Japan (which I might not), but I'm glad to have taken this course just simply for the experience and the friends I have made.
(#53 (permalink))
Old
ModusOperandi (Offline)
JF Regular

11-11-2010, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suki View Post
And what you call just a piece of paper is the only thing I'll have to prove I have all that knowledge in my brains.
Your degree does not show the amount of knowledge you have in your brains. Do you have to settle for it? Yes. Is it a reflection of your efforts? no. After all, like I mentioned earlier, I'll be getting the same paper that geniuses and slackers will be getting. I'm guessing you will be too.
But I won't fight you on it. Like I mentioned a couple of times, It's what you make of it to be honest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suki View Post
So yes, having gone through university means I'm more prepared in many aspects than someone who didn't, because there's no way that person could have gotten the same education I did. Unless the person who's competing with me is freaking Will Hunting, otherwise I'll always be a better one for the job.
This is a very disturbing point of view Suki. I implore you to reflect on it at a deeper level.

--------------
@dogsbody70

Your statement about apprenticeship is very true. People invest too much into the theoretical aspects and fail when it comes to practicality. I've seen this several times during my time at retail. There's a 59-year-old lady who had been with the company for 15 years. She's so accustomed to the place that she does most of the managing duties for the freshly-graduated human resources employees. What's the difference between them? She didn't have a higher education. They, on the other hand, are radiating all the experience in the world they so happened to attain from college...(apparently because that paper said so).

The lady only makes around 16 dollars an hour working the floors with us(a significantly larger mount than what we earned due to her duration with the company). I get mixed emotions every time I see a freshly-graduated employees working in the higher departments (making in the upper $20) taking credit for what they didn't do. They always come looking for her asking "what should we do with this?" and "what do you think we should do about that?"

It's really a sad state if you ask me
(#54 (permalink))
Old
JamboP26 (Offline)
日本オタク

Send a message via MSN to JamboP26
11-11-2010, 09:30 AM

Just seen those student riots in London over the rise of tuition fees. They stormed the Conservitive HQ, took to the roof and threw fire extinguishers at the police. It was absolutely classic stuff

I'm a Cafe-kko, Nyappy in the World. But GazeRock is not dead. 「Sixth Gun」です

An Cafe, Vidoll, Versailles, Dir En Grey, Deathgaze, the GazettE, alice nine., UVERworld, Kiryu , YUI, AKB48, Buono!, Berryz Koubou, C-ute, S/mileage, Morning Musume, Zoro, Lolita23Q, Visual Kei, Oshare Kei, J-Rock, J-Pop, Idol groups FTW (≧∀≦)
(#55 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

Send a message via MSN to Suki
11-13-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModusOperandi View Post
This is a very disturbing point of view Suki. I implore you to reflect on it at a deeper level.
You think? So why do people even bother? What's the use of university then, if -according to you- people leave uni not being well-prepared to enter the working world? I believe in meritocracy too, but let's be real, not everyone has what it takes to go through a degree. If you were dying and your only chance at surviving was to have surgery, would you let anyone operate on you? I'm guessing you'd want a good surgeon, and if you knew that surgeon had excellent grades and was the best student in his class at med school, you'd feel more confident about letting him slice you open. Right? or would you go "your degree and accreditations do not show the amount of knowledge you have in your brains, I want another surgeon"?

Pd. What movie is the frame in your dp from?

everything is relative and contradictory ~
(#56 (permalink))
Old
protheus (Offline)
Arthur et Les Minimoys

Send a message via Yahoo to protheus
11-13-2010, 01:17 PM

You think a surgeon goes directly to the cutting business after school? I'm sorry, but it takes years under the tuition of someone with experience to go to that stage, and why do you think that? Because experience is a must. The degree is just a small part of you being a doctor and the legal part requested for that.

Reverse psychology, "dear Watson", reverse psychology.
"Manganese? Is that manga language?" - lol?
(#57 (permalink))
Old
JasonTakeshi (Offline)
Conceptual Doubt

11-13-2010, 08:47 PM

My friend scored 18/20.

Hi-Tech cheating with wireless methods and tiny camera inserted @pen.

I bet he will do great having his... Diploma.

So yeah, diplomas means everything. (Obvious sarcasm is obvious)

Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like.
(#58 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

11-13-2010, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by protheus View Post
You think a surgeon goes directly to the cutting business after school? I'm sorry, but it takes years under the tuition of someone with experience to go to that stage, and why do you think that? Because experience is a must. The degree is just a small part of you being a doctor and the legal part requested for that.
You're forgetting that the best surgeons pick the students with the best results to be their apprentice! As well as the fact that students with the best grades get more chances and internships and a bigger variety of experience. Medicine is actually one of the fields where results and degrees count for A LOT since you probably won't even get the chance to get as much experience if you're not brilliant

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTakeshi View Post
My friend scored 18/20.

Hi-Tech cheating with wireless methods and tiny camera inserted @pen.

I bet he will do great having his... Diploma.

So yeah, diplomas means everything. (Obvious sarcasm is obvious)
Why are you mixing cheating into this? Sooner or later, the cheaters will probably get caught and they'll lose their job! Me and a friend done an experiment with this. We both applied for an internship! We both had the same results, he cheated, I didn't! He lasted 3 weeks before he got fired because they figured out he didn't actually know anything!

People are going way too far into the extremities! It's stupid to say that in general either Experience or education is more valuable than the other. Of course it depends on the field and career, but the best combination is a good education and good experience!

Last edited by noodle : 11-13-2010 at 09:23 PM.
(#59 (permalink))
Old
JasonTakeshi (Offline)
Conceptual Doubt

11-13-2010, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle View Post
You're forgetting that the best surgeons pick the students with the best results to be their apprentice! As well as the fact that students with the best grades get more chances and internships and a bigger variety of experience. Medicine is actually one of the fields where results and degrees count for A LOT since you probably won't even get the chance to get as much experience if you're not brilliant

Why are you mixing cheating into this? Sooner or later, the cheaters will probably get caught and they'll lose their job! Me and a friend done an experiment with this. We both applied for an internship! We both had the same results, he cheated, I didn't! He lasted 3 weeks before he got fired because they figured out he didn't actually know anything!

People are going way too far into the extremities! It's stupid to say that in general either Experience or education is more valuable than the other. Of course it depends on the field and career, but the best combination is a good education and good experience!
And you just proved my point by saying that. That's why I was mixing cheating into it.

He gets an high score, by cheating, he gets his diploma. Good for him, lookin'all smarty and stuff. Then when he gets a job... Something like that happens.

My point: Just because someone has a diploma it doesn't make them qualified for a job. Because nowadays, with the new technologies, it's so easy to cheat on exams... (Not saying that everyone does - but many do)

OaSN: And even a "legit" diploma, in alot of cases, doesn't make them qualified for a job. Experience does more than a piece of paper - and that's what everyone asks for nowadays.

But hey! We all have to start somewhere. That's why we have interships, amaright?

Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like.
(#60 (permalink))
Old
JasonTakeshi (Offline)
Conceptual Doubt

11-13-2010, 10:40 PM

In where I live, they value more experience than a degree. And the way you generally get experience here is by interships. And the way you get interships is, in most cases, by getting a degree.

And by cheating you get a diploma. With a diploma, you get an internship. With an intership gained by these methods, usually you won't last longer than a week.

F*cking paradoxal. They value more experience than a degree yet the only way to get experience is, generally speaking, by getting an intership. And to get an intership, generally speaking, you need a degree. And you can cheat to get one.

That's how things where I live, GENERALLY SPEAKING, works.

The next-in-line bankrupt country, Portugal.

Last edited by JasonTakeshi : 11-13-2010 at 10:43 PM.