JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
dgeclipsed49 (Offline)
New to JF

Exclamation Capture & Killing of Dolphins in Taijii - 01-07-2011, 02:15 AM

I am looking for anyone who does not like or approve of the killing of Dolphins at dolphin cove in Taijii. They have started the killing again today. As well as the capture and captivity of others in overcrowded, dirty tanks. Anyone interested in help stop this please respond.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

01-07-2011, 02:25 AM

Wish I could help but I can't.

Good luck to you though.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
dgeclipsed49 (Offline)
New to JF

Up to 20 dolphins have just been slaughtered in the cove including juveniles. - 01-08-2011, 01:44 AM

Up to 20 dolphins have just been slaughtered in the cove including juveniles.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
steel (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-08-2011, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgeclipsed49 View Post
I am looking for anyone who does not like or approve of the killing of Dolphins at dolphin cove in Taijii. They have started the killing again today. As well as the capture and captivity of others in overcrowded, dirty tanks. Anyone interested in help stop this please respond.
Dolphins are generally cute and considered intelligent - and killed as 'pests' by fishermen or trapped for sale to aquariums. Similarly, monkeys are also considered intelligent - sometimes cute - and like the cute but stupid deer, ugly but intelligent wild boar, and sometimes cute but vicious bear, they are often legally shot and killed as they are considered 'pests' by most Japanese farmers.

I've also been fortunate enough to have sampled delicious venison and wild boar (inoshishi) as well as pheasant (kiji -- beautiful but the most stupid creature of the lot). Nom nom nom. I have no desire to sample monkeys or dolphins. I am struggling with myself whether it's eating stupid animals that is okay or ugly ones as well. I mean, the wild boar, while ugly was considered pretty intelligent. And, I'd never ever eat my dog although he is both dumb and cute as Hell.

While I struggle with my thought and food crimes, I regret to inform you that I cannot be much help. I am also worried that being so stupid myself, someone might kill and eat me....
(#5 (permalink))
Old
dgeclipsed49 (Offline)
New to JF

01-08-2011, 05:24 AM

I struggled with those thoughts myself for years. And eventually went vegetarian. I think all killing is wrong, when there are other means of food available.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

01-08-2011, 08:38 AM

we did have another thread on this very subject. some of had seen the documentary showing the barbaric methods used to kill these creatures.

Green Peace Trying to stop it.

It is so cruel the way they are herded together so helplessly.

Yet can any of us who eat fish or meat-- protest really.

I certainly do-- a time will come when there will be no fish left in the sea. I read recently of Japanese paying a heck of a lot of money for a blue fin shark?

soon they will have disappeared.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)

01-08-2011, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
we did have another thread on this very subject. some of had seen the documentary showing the barbaric methods used to kill these creatures.

Green Peace Trying to stop it.

It is so cruel the way they are herded together so helplessly.
If you'd read any of that thread properly, you'd have known that The Cove documentary is a poor way to get a view of what goes on at this kind of dolphin hunt. A lot of the 'barbarianism' is hyped up by the film crew and director and it's an incredibly biased production. I mean, it's still awful if you are a dolphin /really like dolphins, but not very much worse than what happens to the average cow world-wide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
I certainly do-- a time will come when there will be no fish left in the sea. I read recently of Japanese paying a heck of a lot of money for a blue fin shark?

soon they will have disappeared.
The Cove dolphins aren't a threatened species so the population doesn't actually take much of a hit from these culls. It was a Blue-fin Tuna sold recently, and they -are- pretty vulnerable to overfishing.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

01-08-2011, 01:02 PM

hmmmmmmmmm!
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

01-08-2011, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbine View Post
If you'd read any of that thread properly, you'd have known that The Cove documentary is a poor way to get a view of what goes on at this kind of dolphin hunt. A lot of the 'barbarianism' is hyped up by the film crew and director and it's an incredibly biased production. I mean, it's still awful if you are a dolphin /really like dolphins, but not very much worse than what happens to the average cow world-wide.
The Cove was a bit too emotional for my liking too.. but I felt that overall their message was sound.

Regarding your cow statement.. why does one have to defend either all animals or no animals? I mean I'm sure philosophically they're against all animal cruelty. But just because they've decided to make a stand for a particular animal doesn't make them hypocrites. It just means their resources are limited and they like dolphins the best.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)

01-08-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
The Cove was a bit too emotional for my liking too.. but I felt that overall their message was sound.

Regarding your cow statement.. why does one have to defend either all animals or no animals? I mean I'm sure philosophically they're against all animal cruelty. But just because they've decided to make a stand for a particular animal doesn't make them hypocrites. It just means their resources are limited and they like dolphins the best.
I think the premise of the idea of The Cove was good; dolphin hunting is a rarity, so a large scale operation should be explored and portrayed to a wider audience, so people can make their own judgements on the controversy. The problem was, The Cove's director went in with the express object of portraying it all as barbaric and wrong, without any unbiased explanation from the other side of the equation.

Not sure what the confusion is over my cow statement. Who is 'they'? Dogsbody called the method of slaughter barbaric, I just wanted to point out that (moral objections over the intellect of dolphins aside) the method is generally no worse than how thousands of other food-crop animals are slaughtered world-wide. We only perceive it as being tangibly 'worse' because it's a very visible slaughter of a relatively non-conventional food animal. That's all the point I was making. I didn't say you had to be anti-cow slaughter as well as anti-dolphin meat. This is not a the value of cows vs the value of dolphins argument.

With all due respect, I don't agree with you but I'm not going to go into the 'resources' part of your post here as it would just de-rail the thread.