JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Umihito (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Thumbs up What other Asian countries do you like? - 01-15-2011, 06:11 AM

Most people here of course have a love for Japan.

But what other Asian countries do you like? Are there any you have visited that you also love?
Maybe there's one(s) that you wish to visit or live/work in for a little while, whether you've been to them or not?

For me, the only Asian countries I've been to and had experience with are Japan and Malaysia.
I like Malaysia. I wouldn't go as far as to say I love it to pieces there, but I have a friend who lives there, and so I have a big advantage of having locals showing me round all the hot and hidden spots, so I had a very intimate experience with the country. For that reason I'm booked back to go to Malaysia in July. I don't put it extremely high in my top countries list though because there are places I simply like a little better. But of course I liked Malaysia or I wouldn't have booked to go back

I want to visit China and both Korea's. All three of those countries have a lure to me in their own ways.

Looking a little more to the West of Asia. I'd like to go to places like India and Pakistan. Maybe the Maldives before they sink.

2 random ones at the West of Asia that I'd like to see are Israel and Saudi Arabia.
I checked, and the Middle East counts as Asia, so it's all good.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

01-15-2011, 06:15 AM

What makes you like a country?

I don't like countries. I like aspects of countries but studying International Relations has made me realise that ALL countries suck. Some just suck more than others.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Umihito (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-15-2011, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
What makes you like a country?

I don't like countries. I like aspects of countries but studying International Relations has made me realise that ALL countries suck. Some just suck more than others.
Ahh well it's basically the same thing, so for you, which country's aspects do you like? XD
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)

01-15-2011, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umihito View Post
Most people here of course have a love for Japan.

But what other Asian countries do you like? Are there any you have visited that you also love?
Maybe there's one(s) that you wish to visit or live/work in for a little while, whether you've been to them or not?
I've been to 7 countries in S. E Asia; they're all pretty unique. The main thing I really came to realize is that Japan is about as 'Asian' as the UK is European. Nominally there are similarities, but there are huge, HUGE differences too so it's hard to compare. Especially to still-developing countries like Indonesia and Laos. And that's not even including central asian countries like India and Uzbekistan which have vastly different cultures to much of the rest of Asia, and each other.

Of the ones I've been to, I (predictably) liked Japan the most. It's where I'm most comfortable traveling. Singapore would be a viable second- even though I didn't get much of a 'feel' of the place, it's fairly westernized in some regards so I think I'd be Ok there. I also really enjoyed Vietnam; I'd happily go back there to travel. Malaysia was also nice, and along with Thailand and China is on my list of places to go and see more of. Actually my trip to China was awful but I'd like to attempt it again. Benefit of the doubt, kind of thing. It's a big country after all.

I'd like to visit Laos, Indonesia and various of the smaller island nations in Micronesia, but I don't think theres anywhere I've never visited that I want to live or work in.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
alisia (Offline)
New to JF

01-15-2011, 11:56 PM

I haven't been to any Asian countries. But I am interested in going to Korea someday. I'm starting to get into the fashion and the music.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
NanteNa (Offline)
sixth gun.

Send a message via Skype™ to NanteNa
01-16-2011, 01:11 AM

I'm very interested in Korean history, language and culture. Am going to Uni to study exactly that.

[ <-- Jordan's heart! \(Ò_ó)/ ]
Follow me on TUMBLR
"Well if a chick has a problem with the way I conduct myself I'd draw the bitch
a map to the nearest exit and stamp "fuck off" on her forehead."
- Pot Roast
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

01-16-2011, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umihito View Post
Ahh well it's basically the same thing, so for you, which country's aspects do you like? XD
I like Japan's low violent crime rate. One of the safest countries I think I've visited.

I like Japan's pacifist constitution. While it's true that they have a military in all but name.. I just think it's something that all other countries should commit to in writing like Japan has.

I like Japanese pre-modern culture just because to me it's aesthetically the most beautiful in the world.

I like the environment of Japan. It's an island country so it's surrounded by sea but it's also mountainous and has many forests and rivers. Not to mention the four seasons are really nice in Japan (except for Typhoons)

For those reasons I think Japan is one of the countries I like the most.. though I would like to be more accurate and say that Japan is one of the countries I hate the least.

The rest of Asia.. meh.

Chinese history and philosophy is interesting though. And the beaches of Thailand look great!
(#8 (permalink))
Old
JamboP26 (Offline)
日本オタク

Send a message via MSN to JamboP26
01-16-2011, 11:26 AM

For me, China. Much the same reasons as my love for Japan, just less on the entertainment side. More culture, language, people, history & future

I'm a Cafe-kko, Nyappy in the World. But GazeRock is not dead. 「Sixth Gun」です

An Cafe, Vidoll, Versailles, Dir En Grey, Deathgaze, the GazettE, alice nine., UVERworld, Kiryu , YUI, AKB48, Buono!, Berryz Koubou, C-ute, S/mileage, Morning Musume, Zoro, Lolita23Q, Visual Kei, Oshare Kei, J-Rock, J-Pop, Idol groups FTW (≧∀≦)
(#9 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

01-16-2011, 12:17 PM

China is so vast and its people and landscape has suffered so much in the past.

I was totally ignorant about China until I read "JUNG CHANG's Wild Swans." AND her "MAO". I am still very ignorant but when I was watching a dvd on China's war-- with Japan-- those Chinese people-- survivors were so brave and hard working. There is much I dislike especialy the way they mistreat animals--skinning cats and dogs alive!!! URGH--- but I also have respect for individual Chinese people. They are industrious hard working.

I have Chinese friends who I respect massively.

Their dynasty reaches back to 5'000 years we are told.

Now they are moving forward at a rapid pace-- so much of what we buy comes from China.

Have you ever read Pearl Buck's "The Good Earth?" Her parents were missionaries in CHina-- that book describes peasant life in China during that period.
You know-- I think when visiting a specific country or part of it-- its worthwhile reading and learning as much as possible before going there.

Japan is so small compared to CHINA.

PS I do wonder about the inbalance between male and female re the policy of getting rid of Chinese female infants. Not sure if that is still the situation. I would sincerely hope not.

we see programmes telling us there are not enough women for the Men-hardly surprising.

Last edited by dogsbody70 : 01-16-2011 at 12:21 PM.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
termogard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Post small, but prioud - 01-16-2011, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
Japan is so small compared to CHINA.
By comparison to big China, small Japan is a motherland of modern technology.