LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

01-19-2011, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMisa View Post
Whatcha think of England ^_~ (I'm gonna regret this, aren't I? )

I like K-pop, but I don't really know much about Korea to be honest.
lol.. don't worry. None of this is meant personally. (That might be an indication of what is to follow )

England is similar to New Zealand culturally speaking so I can't really say I particularly like anything about it because it just seems normal to me.

What I dislike about England, I dislike about New Zealand and Western countries in general.

We eat too much, drink too much and are quite materialistic.

On the plus side we have a great tradition of philosophy which promotes egalitarian and philanthropic values. The problem is what we practice is a lot different from what we preach.

I do think England is overpopulated though and London at least is an extremely dirty city.

But on the flipside there is a lot more to do in England than there is in New Zealand and going on holiday to another country is a cheap train or plane fare away.
(#22 (permalink))
Old
macki06 (Offline)
New to JF

01-19-2011, 10:03 PM

i always thought that south korea is an interesting country (including people, culture all together), of course next to japan.
i have an aunt who had recently visited seoul and shes from new york. and she said, shes pretty amazed and impressed how clean and modern seoul was. she said, its interesting how a modern city like seoul is surrounded by mountains, and i think she found temples and korean infrastructure in general fascinating.

id say id also like to see thailand for its famed beach lines, although i havnt even seen most of the philippines' islands where i came from. lol

to the post above me. ive recently just moved here in england from the philippines. id say, the weather is really depressing. especially when you are used to seeing the sun and the moon/stars at night, all year round except when there are monsoon rains and typhoons which dont really last long. lol. not to mention, in the equatorial regions, i think, the sun rises, and sets in almost a constant interval 6am and 6pm. so, seeing the sun at 10pm, kind of messed up my already f*ckd up sleep wake cyle. haha.

people here are really nice. although i used to get confused when people were asking me something or making a request, as ive noticed most sentences are seemingly constructed in a question form. but generally, most locals i know are very polite, although the very frequent use of words such as lovely, wonderful, and brilliant, will make you think or wonder if people really mean what they say.
(#23 (permalink))
Old
macki06 (Offline)
New to JF

01-19-2011, 10:17 PM

Quote:
We eat too much, drink too much and are quite materialistic.

On the plus side we have a great tradition of philosophy which promotes egalitarian and philanthropic values. The problem is what we practice is a lot different from what we preach.

and on the contrary, i think the english have better control of their diet than say the americans or maybe than filipinos?, just my opinion.

and i do agree that the peple here are more liberated when it comes to philosophy and religion in general. maybe because it very multicultural, or a significantly older civilisation that tolerated immigration early on... people are seemingly more inclined on the humanitarian good side of people rather than the religious implications of being 'good'. thats just my view on things, coming from a morally uptight christian dominated country myself.
(#24 (permalink))
Old
BobbyCooper (Offline)
Banned

01-19-2011, 10:34 PM

My First Post in the best Japan Forum on the entire World Wide Web

As for the topic, I have been to South East Asia before and I've also met Japanese and Korean people in Australia. I actually traveled with three Korean guys down in OZ.

I have to say that, the biggest and by far most beautiful difference to our Western society are the lovely people. And this really counts for more then 90% of the Asian society if not more. It's just amazing how different these people are compared to us. It's also almost impossible for me to explain there kindness and lovely (character) traits.

I always tell people, that if we all were Asian's that this World would be a better place!

Thanks for this beautiful Forum guys
(#25 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

01-20-2011, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMisa View Post
I'd say that's pretty fair. London is a dirty city, but maybe that's just because I come from Yorkshire, the countryside is all fresh and shiny, haha.

I like it's shops and stuff though.
Yeah true. The countryside is nice. I especially thought the Isle of Wight was nice.

As for London.. don't get me wrong.. I had a great time while living there and met some cool people.

But the people I happened to meet made it for me more than the place.
(#26 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

01-20-2011, 04:13 PM

which parts of LOndon are dirty.

I am a LOndoner lived there at different times. I'd say its people who are dirty who leave litter everywhere.

Ihate litter droppers. they exist all over the place not just London.

different parts of London vary a lot. it's a big city with many suburbs.

Maybe you were there when we used coal fires etc.

Smog and all that. Maybe factories that throw out discarded smoke and chemicals into the river etc.

If everyone treated any town as their own home and picked up ALL rubbish and litter-- bottles, cigarette ends etc takeways leftovers>

Its people dirty neglectful lazypeople. they do not exist in London alone

steam trains left lots of smut to ruin the washing hanging out to dry.
(#27 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)

01-20-2011, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
which parts of LOndon are dirty.
I go there fairly often; compared to other cities (especially Japan), it's pretty grotty. We also don't cull our pigeons so much so there's loads of diseased birds limping around, and we have more dogs. Not nice. Plus the sheer amount of car fumes stains things; it's pretty much a local joke that londoners have black bogeys. The amount of cigarette butts and chewing gum is outrageous too. Didn't seem to be half so much left all over the place in Japan, which considering how many people smoke is fairly remarkable. London's still not as bad as China though. The British may let their dogs poo on the street, but at least we stop our kids from doing it.

Quote:
Smog and all that. Maybe factories that throw out discarded smoke and chemicals into the river etc.
*groans* don't say that. I spend half my time convincing foreigners that London isn't full of pea-soup smog and they won't die of air poisoning at night if they go there. The Thames isn't perfect, but it's actually cleaner than it was. Still work to go on it, but they're slowly recovering fish stocks in the river.

Quote:
steam trains left lots of smut to ruin the washing hanging out to dry.
and I'm pretty sure THAT hasn't been an issue pretty much anywhere for a good 50 years.
(#28 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

01-21-2011, 02:18 PM

I said that steam trains Left lots of smut on clothes etc.

I did not say Leaves.

Fifty years--not quite I think.

It was in the mid sixties when we had to stop using coal fires that smoke.

Some places i have visited such as HULL have huge chemical factories.

London has to cope with a lot of people-------- it costs a lot of money to clean public buildings.

as far as dogs are concerned its against the law not to pick up the poo. There again its lazy owners to blame.

we have pigeons and seagulls here near the sea and starlings can leave a heck of a mess

I used to think that Edinburgh was very dark and grey. mostlybecause of the granite buildings but when they are cleaned they look wonderful.

London is like many little villages. I spent a lot of my childhood in battersea immediately following the war-- there was a lot of bomb damage. Nowadays it is a place for commuters and the property is sky high in price compared to what it used to be like. Awful smelly factories. I also have lived in other parts of London

It depends which part of London you visit. I love London for its many parks and common land

I live by the sea now so would not want to live back in London but there are many sides to the city and its suburbs.

I still say that people have to be tidier and not drop so much litter.

One time when I was in glastonbury I was shocked at the way litter louts just dropped litter.

We also have many of those here. even though there is a law most people seem to ignore it.

disgusting.

Last edited by dogsbody70 : 01-21-2011 at 02:22 PM.
(#29 (permalink))
Old
maggil33 (Offline)
New to JF

01-21-2011, 03:04 PM

Bangladesh is the most popular country in Asia. There are many historical places.
(#30 (permalink))
Old
NanteNa (Offline)
sixth gun.

Send a message via Skype™ to NanteNa
01-21-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umihito View Post
Ahh I see, I'll be sure to do that from now on, sorry.
How many years have you been in Uni so far then? And do you get a year in Korea? With a few Bachelor Degree options here you get a year abroad in the country you're studying.
No problem : D

Uhm, I'm starting Uni this summer.. I practiced hangeul and a few sentences so far, but of course I can't learn grammar and stuff without a tutor.
Well, I live in Denmark : / Education is free, but unless you get sponsored by a company or the government feels like ''rewarding'' you, it's all on yourself and your own wallet. I'd love to go there for a few weeks in the summer and then maybe for a longer period after a while.

[ <-- Jordan's heart! \(Ò_ó)/ ]
Follow me on TUMBLR
"Well if a chick has a problem with the way I conduct myself I'd draw the bitch
a map to the nearest exit and stamp "fuck off" on her forehead."
- Pot Roast