JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

Send a message via MSN to Suki
The Mysteries of Informatics. - 01-29-2011, 02:59 PM

Ok, so I have this problem with my mouse which is really pissing me off, I hope someone out here has a clue as to why this is happening and can help me out.

I have Chrome as my default navigator and for some reason, whenever I'm on a website the mouse cursor stops showing unless I'm moving it around on my screen. This happens only when I'm on a website, works just fine when I'm on my desktop or using any other program. It still happens when I use the touchpad... Like, when I stop touching the touchpad the cursor on the screen just disappears and shows back up when I touch it again. It's weird that it only does so when running Chrome. I checked the mouse options on Control Panel and everything appears to be fine. And Chrome has no mouse settings, and if it does I cannot seem to find them.

It just looks like it's something to do with the mouse settings on Chrome, like there's an option to make the cursor disappear when not in use, but I can't seem to find it anywhere, plus it just happened overnight, I never changed anything on the settings, maybe I accidentally typed a shortcut on my keyboard to make it happen and never realized? Anyone has a clue...? please please please.

everything is relative and contradictory ~
(#2 (permalink))
Old
princessmarisa (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-29-2011, 03:15 PM

About 2 days ago I started getting issues with chrome that are kinda similar, tickboxes do not show and the *like* boxes on facebook display wrong.

Googled it a bit earlier, seems to be a bug, few people suggest if you change your desktop theme back to default and hit save it fixes it, but I don't know how!

Fighting ignorance and slaying a few narutards whilst I am at it.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

01-29-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suki View Post
Ok, so I have this problem with my mouse which is really pissing me off, I hope someone out here has a clue as to why this is happening and can help me out.

I have Chrome as my default navigator and for some reason, whenever I'm on a website the mouse cursor stops showing unless I'm moving it around on my screen. This happens only when I'm on a website, works just fine when I'm on my desktop or using any other program. It still happens when I use the touchpad... Like, when I stop touching the touchpad the cursor on the screen just disappears and shows back up when I touch it again. It's weird that it only does so when running Chrome. I checked the mouse options on Control Panel and everything appears to be fine. And Chrome has no mouse settings, and if it does I cannot seem to find them.

It just looks like it's something to do with the mouse settings on Chrome, like there's an option to make the cursor disappear when not in use, but I can't seem to find it anywhere, plus it just happened overnight, I never changed anything on the settings, maybe I accidentally typed a shortcut on my keyboard to make it happen and never realized? Anyone has a clue...? please please please.
Los misterios de la informatica.... Haven't heard that term since I was in Spain.... Anyway, I typed the problem and this seems to be an issue solver for most.... Hope it helps!

It does seem to be related to Flash (that damn Flash seems to have been at the root of a number of problems.) If you start the Chrome Task Manager (Shift+Esc) and end the Shockwave Flash Plug-in, the pointer / I-beam insertion point returns. There are a fair number of sites that propose installing what may be a Firefox plug-in - pTAM: How to Install Adobe Flash Plugin for Google Chrome, e.g. Any comments?
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

01-30-2011, 05:48 PM

It's fixed now! Damn, all I had to do was update my Java version to the latest one, that seemed to be the issue... >.>'

Thanks so much, guys!!!

_______

You may now close this thread or keep it open for other people to post their computer-related issues.

EDIT: GAAAAAAAH! It's happening again! Jeez, how does one thing get solved then goes back to being crazy? crapcrapcrappp!

Okay, guess I'll try what you suggested. Awh, just when I thought I'd fixed it, man...

EDIT II:

Fixed again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBraden
It does seem to be related to Flash (that damn Flash seems to have been at the root of a number of problems.) If you start the Chrome Task Manager (Shift+Esc) and end the Shockwave Flash Plug-in, the pointer / I-beam insertion point returns. There are a fair number of sites that propose installing what may be a Firefox plug-in - pTAM: How to Install Adobe Flash Plugin for Google Chrome, e.g. Any comments?
Anddd thank you! Your link was the answer to the problem I really didn't think it was Flash-related, but I googled my problem, which led me to a forum page where lots of people were having the same issue (which did feel nice, I hate feeling like I'm the only one getting errors so it's comforting to know the same shit happens to other people as well LOL), and so I checked the link, downloaded whatever plug-in needed and... solved! Thanks a lot, John! You're a lifesaver!

EDIT III:

Oh My GOD!

Happening again... If you'll excuse me, I'll go shoot myself now.

Last edited by Suki : 01-30-2011 at 06:46 PM.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
cyberbemon (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to cyberbemon Send a message via Skype™ to cyberbemon
01-30-2011, 07:47 PM

use firefox...
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

01-30-2011, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbemon View Post
use firefox...
IF I wanted to use Firefox, I WOULD use Firefox... Which I did, for years, and stopped using cause it took ages to load stuff on some pages I regularly go to, then switched to Chrome, which works wonders for me except for this thing with the mouse pointer that I can't seem to sort out.

Anyway, yeah I think I fixed it again... sort of x) Good thing is I have found out the cause of why it happens so it should be ok...

(#7 (permalink))
Old
cyberbemon (Offline)
JF Regular

01-30-2011, 10:02 PM

Quote:
IF I wanted to use Firefox, I WOULD use Firefox... Which I did, for years, and stopped using cause it took ages to load stuff on some pages I regularly go to, then switched to Chrome, which works wonders for me except for this thing with the mouse pointer that I can't seem to sort out.

Anyway, yeah I think I fixed it again... sort of x) Good thing is I have found out the cause of why it happens so it should be ok...
woww chill bro :P ...i used chrome and i didn't like to be honest..stilll prefer foxxy ..and its a lot more secure..i agree foxxy has probs loading certain pages..:P..but i'm glad u fixed ur prob..and hope u don't have anymore trouble :P
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

01-30-2011, 10:09 PM

Quote:
woww chill bro :P ...i used chrome and i didn't like to be honest..stilll prefer foxxy ..and its a lot more secure..i agree foxxy has probs loading certain pages..:P..but i'm glad u fixed ur prob..and hope u don't have anymore trouble :P
I'm not a bro, mate. I'm a lady.

In which way is Firefox more secure than Chrome...? Cause really, Chrome blocks pop-ups and annoying widgets, plus it has a wider interface which I really appreciate. The one thing I don't like is that it has issues with Gmail, but I already found a way around that so it's cool.

(#9 (permalink))
Old
cyberbemon (Offline)
JF Regular

01-30-2011, 10:39 PM

Quote:
In which way is Firefox more secure than Chrome...? Cause really, Chrome blocks pop-ups and annoying widgets, plus it has a wider interface which I really appreciate. The one thing I don't like is that it has issues with Gmail, but I already found a way around that so it's cool.
Why I THINK Firefox is awesome:
much more customizable.There are thousands of add-ons available for Firefox that make the browsing experience much more powerful. Although Google has recently allowed add-ons for Chrome, the selection isn't nearly as robust yet.

It is easy to switch between search engines in the Firefox search box. Chrome only has one search box for searching Google.

Firefox usues less memory when u have multiple tabs open,where as in chrome each tab is a different process and takes up lots of memory!

Microsoft Silverlight runs a lot better on firefox(i use this framework a lot ! )..

now i'm not saying chrome is crap..or anything like..i love the UI ..it has a lot more space..and it has faster startup time!..and its improving...

Quote:
I'm not a bro, mate. I'm a lady.
well i'm sorry about that, apologies !
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

01-30-2011, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Why I THINK Firefox is awesome:
much more customizable.There are thousands of add-ons available for Firefox that make the browsing experience much more powerful. Although Google has recently allowed add-ons for Chrome, the selection isn't nearly as robust yet.

It is easy to switch between search engines in the Firefox search box. Chrome only has one search box for searching Google.

Firefox usues less memory when u have multiple tabs open,where as in chrome each tab is a different process and takes up lots of memory!

Microsoft Silverlight runs a lot better on firefox(i use this framework a lot ! )..

now i'm not saying chrome is crap..or anything like..i love the UI ..it has a lot more space..and it has faster startup time!..and its improving...
Ooook, you made your points clear. But having used both, I still like Chrome better. And it is the fact that Chrome only uses ONE search box that makes it all the better, for me anyway. The navigation bar on Firefox takes up so much screen space it's annoying. Also I find the bookmark-folder to be very handy.

Anyway, since you're a comp science student, hang around just in case. This whole computer stuff going wrong for no apparent reason really gives me a headache, so your knowledge in the field might come in useful.