JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#81 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

02-19-2011, 07:06 AM

I kinda agree with Nyororin in that just because you're a foreigner over here as well it doesn't mean we're going to end up bestest of buddies. Sure having that link does give you something to have a chat about. I'm always interested to hear their story of why they're here.
(#82 (permalink))
Old
xkmkmlmx (Offline)
JF Regular

02-19-2011, 07:16 AM

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying anyone has an obligation to anyone... but making a choice one way or another makes you just as bad. No one should expect you to, but you shouldn't go out of your way to avoid people either.

I am sure a lot of you who take the anti-gaijin stance would not turn your nose up at some gorgeous 24 year old Japanese girl that just wanted to talk to you because YOU were different. But the logic in reverse does not apply? Right, ok.
(#83 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)

02-19-2011, 07:31 AM

Actually if a gorgeous 24 yo Japanese girl approached me I would probably run like hell the other way! I'm happily married and want to stay that way!!
(#84 (permalink))
Old
xkmkmlmx (Offline)
JF Regular

02-19-2011, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNative View Post
Actually if a gorgeous 24 yo Japanese girl approached me I would probably run like hell the other way! I'm happily married and want to stay that way!!
Haha of course ^^. That is why I said a "lot" and not all. Don't want to lump everyone here into the same group nor get anyone in trouble
(#85 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
02-20-2011, 04:40 PM

I`ll reply as I am pretty sure I was the person who said most strongly that I`m not going to go out of my way to make friends with anyone just because we`re in a country other than our own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkmkmlmx View Post
So many posts stating that it isn't that 'you are hating on foreigners, but more that you wouldn't be friends or extend yourself over the simple concept of just both being or living in a foreign land together' are ironic.

You are posting on a centralized subject matter message board to STRANGERS. Some of you with thousands of posts. You extend yourself here, but have some issue with most likely a lot of the same type of people that you might come across in Japan? I don't entirely buy the logic.
And I don`t see the irony.

I am under absolutely no obligation to make friends with anyone on here. I can ignore and avoid anyone should I feel the urge. There is no direct interaction, and I can pick and choose from the privacy of my home what to reply to (or not). If there is a question I feel I can answer, or if I`m in the mood to say something - I am free to do that at will. But there is no obligation, and no expectation that I am going to get along with or feel the same as someone else.

A real life friendship is an entirely different thing. I can`t stop in the middle of listening to a friend talk and say "Oh, hey, I don`t feel like listening to you. Bye." (Well, I could, but I doubt that the "friend" status would last for long.)

My issue with a lot of the people I encounter in Japan is that they expect to be able to find common ground based on the fact that we`re both in Japan. That, and that alone. To me, that isn`t something that can provide a sufficient foundation for a relationship. And in my experience, those who DO feel that is a sufficient foundation are not the type of people I would associate with. Under any circumstances.

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I am not saying anyone has an obligation to anyone... but making a choice one way or another makes you just as bad. No one should expect you to, but you shouldn't go out of your way to avoid people either.
I have yet to go out of my way to avoid anyone. But if someone comes along and wants to be friends because we`re both gaijin and they need somebody to be friends with... I`ll be perfectly amicable and polite, but do not expect to ever hear from me again unless there is some OTHER trait that leads me to believe you would be worth the time and effort of friendship.

Quote:
I am sure a lot of you who take the anti-gaijin stance would not turn your nose up at some gorgeous 24 year old Japanese girl that just wanted to talk to you because YOU were different. But the logic in reverse does not apply? Right, ok.
I have, do, and will continue to "turn my nose up" at ANYONE whose sole interest in me is my non-Japanese-ness. This is true regardless of their nationality. Nothing irritates me more than being "used" for some personal fulfillment. I will not be a convenient friend because you are in Japan and want some foreign friends... Nor will I be a convenient friend because you think that English is so cool and want to live abroad.
I`ll smile, take your contact info... And forget the whole experience.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#86 (permalink))
Old
Ryzorian (Offline)

02-21-2011, 12:52 AM

Gonative, I'm not married so that gorgeous 24 year old Japanese girl can approach me all she wants.
(#87 (permalink))
Old
tokusatsufan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-22-2011, 12:16 PM

But the Japanese can "pretend they're American" all they want!

I don't know. I'm guilty of being a bit of a weaboo,if you're an anime/tokusatsu/Jdrama whatever fan you will be! It is not the greatest crime!
(#88 (permalink))
Old
JamboP26 (Offline)
日本オタク

Send a message via MSN to JamboP26
02-22-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Very good point. No come back to that...

I'm a Cafe-kko, Nyappy in the World. But GazeRock is not dead. 「Sixth Gun」です

An Cafe, Vidoll, Versailles, Dir En Grey, Deathgaze, the GazettE, alice nine., UVERworld, Kiryu , YUI, AKB48, Buono!, Berryz Koubou, C-ute, S/mileage, Morning Musume, Zoro, Lolita23Q, Visual Kei, Oshare Kei, J-Rock, J-Pop, Idol groups FTW (≧∀≦)
(#89 (permalink))
Old
xkmkmlmx (Offline)
JF Regular

02-22-2011, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
I am under absolutely no obligation to make friends with anyone on here. I can ignore and avoid anyone should I feel the urge. There is no direct interaction, and I can pick and choose from the privacy of my home what to reply to (or not). If there is a question I feel I can answer, or if I`m in the mood to say something - I am free to do that at will. But there is no obligation, and no expectation that I am going to get along with or feel the same as someone else.

A real life friendship is an entirely different thing. I can`t stop in the middle of listening to a friend talk and say "Oh, hey, I don`t feel like listening to you. Bye." (Well, I could, but I doubt that the "friend" status would last for long.)
Weird, no one said you were under any obligation here or otherwise. And I was not talking about a friendship. I thought we were talking about strangers in general?

Quote:

My issue with a lot of the people I encounter in Japan is that they expect to be able to find common ground based on the fact that we`re both in Japan. That, and that alone. To me, that isn`t something that can provide a sufficient foundation for a relationship. And in my experience, those who DO feel that is a sufficient foundation are not the type of people I would associate with. Under any circumstances.
Sure, I get your issue. You have made that quite clear. All I am saying is, it is a weird stance, given that you are basically alienating people right off the bat with no other information about them. All relationships start somewhere.

Quote:

I have, do, and will continue to "turn my nose up" at ANYONE whose sole interest in me is my non-Japanese-ness. This is true regardless of their nationality. Nothing irritates me more than being "used" for some personal fulfillment. I will not be a convenient friend because you are in Japan and want some foreign friends... Nor will I be a convenient friend because you think that English is so cool and want to live abroad.
I`ll smile, take your contact info... And forget the whole experience.
Quite frankly, we are all being used by someone and using people in return. Just depends on what it is for.

Why so gruff and stand-offish about it all? Why did you approach your husband/wife/gf/bf/significant other/best friend/regular friend/etc? Was there a common interest? Did you like their specific physical look? Their hair color? Their style? Were they into a specific musical act you liked? Did you guys work at the same place? There is a basic commonality that takes place at the start of ALL relationships. But a lot of times they can turn into something more meaningful as well.
(#90 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
02-22-2011, 09:59 PM

Quote:
So many posts stating that it isn't that 'you are hating on foreigners, but more that you wouldn't be friends or extend yourself over the simple concept of just both being or living in a foreign land together' are ironic.

You are posting on a centralized subject matter message board to STRANGERS. Some of you with thousands of posts. You extend yourself here, but have some issue with most likely a lot of the same type of people that you might come across in Japan? I don't entirely buy the logic.
There is nothing ironic at all. Most of us post ONLY in response to a specific comment or idea. We do not strike up extensive conversations with someone just because we are both from similar geographic areas. Beyond a courteous greeting, there has to be something more than proximity to connect with a person intellectually or emotionally.

There have been plenty examples of the attractive Asian I have met and had no further dealings with because there were no shared interests. If introduced or spoken to, people should be polite and acknowledge the greeting, but there is no obligation to continue further.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.