JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Ehrenritter (Offline)
New to JF

What's the image of the 旭日旗, Kyokujitsu-ki (Rising sun Flag) in Asia and Japan? - 03-06-2011, 04:14 PM

Hello there, I'm a graphic designer and I'm quite interested in the expressive potential of the japanese rising sun flag, so I want to use it in one way or another in my designs.

Image of the flag:

The question is that I've heard that the flag have negative connotations in some places of Asia, is that true? At least here in Europe is a trendy symbol, a very visual signifier without meaning, so postmodern, but I don't want to make a mistake thinking that in the rest of the world is the same, so I would be very grateful if someone could clarify me about the mental meaning or the `` instant impression´´ that comes to the mind of an Asian (and the possible differences between Japan, China, Korea, Sudeast Asia etc) while seeing that flag.

Thanks in advance.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
tipsygypsy (Offline)
wa gwaaan?

03-06-2011, 04:41 PM

uuuh yeah. japanese navy used to use this flag during WW2. so, chinese and korean get offended when they see this. but i like this image tho

Jah Rastafaaari. Yeah pasta for life
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-06-2011, 05:20 PM

Japanese right wing nationalistic symbol. Like the confederate flag in the US. Not recommended.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

03-06-2011, 05:33 PM

It is still used in Japan as the standard of the Japan Maritime Self Defense forces.

It does have some negative connotations, especially where the Japanese forces were invaders during World War 2. My mother doesn't like the flag all that much, since it reminds her of the occupation of her native Cebu....
(#5 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)

03-07-2011, 01:35 AM

A very cool flag though. Pity about the negative connotations...
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Ryzorian (Offline)

03-07-2011, 03:57 AM

Flags are the emotional core of people, both pro and con. Particularly in reguards to warfare between nations. However, I won't begrudge someone thier history just because I may or maynot have a favorable opion on a said flag. I am not overly fond of the USSR flag, but I won't deny somebody the right to fly and or use it. Perhaps they had a father or someone fight for that flag, who am I to say.

Many of the flags in the world have been fought for and against..much blood has been shed either defending them or trying to dislodge them. In reguards to useing the riseing sun flag for art design..know the audiance you wish to sell too.

MMM mentioned the Confederate flag from the US civil war..even though the stars and bars is actually the confederate battle banner, not the actual confederate flag. Still, useing that flag in the states depends wholly on the audiance you wish to cater too. Son's of the Confederacy is prolly a positive location for such a flag....the national meeting of the NAACP..prolly not so much....

Like the photgraph of the Navy ships showing a Japanese ship and an American ship in the same fleet. 70 years ago they would have been in apposeing fleets, so how a flag is viewed can change with time.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
03-07-2011, 04:33 PM

From an artistic, graphic point of view, I think the Rising Sun is excellent.

Even so, it is not my first response when seeing it. It has negative connotations for most of the world outside of Japan because of the military actions that took place under it. And for me it also reminds me of the warped mentality when when Japanese-Americans were interred and the sadness of an era coming to an end with the debasement of Hirohito.

There are only two other flags I have such strong negative reactions to - the Stars and Bars and the Swastika. All three remind my of bigotry, torture and genocide. The Stars and Bars did not mean that when it was used in the Civil War. It became that emblem in the hands of cowards wearing white hoods while commiting their atrocities..

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
alp12ha (Offline)
New to JF

03-10-2011, 10:27 AM

In real this is very awesome and unique.
I like it.

Imagination is more important than Knowledge - Einstein