JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
HimeChan13 (Offline)
Hardly Immaculate

Cool Weather in Japan - 02-24-2011, 01:20 PM

I have heard a lot about Japanese climate, but none of it goes together. I suppose there are several different islands on which the weather would be different. I have also heard that there are earthquakes very frequently in Japan. After asking someone who has been there personally, I learned that the earthquakes do not effect all of the islands so much. Uh, this confused me a bit. I read a bok on Japan that said there are anore than a thousand earthquakes in Japan per year. Is this true? That's more than three a day. Also, can anyone tell me something very accurate about the weather patterns in Japan. I hope to go there one day and I want to be prepared, and comfortable.

The sound of your voice, painted on my memories. Even if you're not with me, I'm with you.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

02-24-2011, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HimeChan13 View Post
I have heard a lot about Japanese climate, but none of it goes together. I suppose there are several different islands on which the weather would be different. I have also heard that there are earthquakes very frequently in Japan. After asking someone who has been there personally, I learned that the earthquakes do not effect all of the islands so much. Uh, this confused me a bit. I read a bok on Japan that said there are anore than a thousand earthquakes in Japan per year. Is this true? That's more than three a day. Also, can anyone tell me something very accurate about the weather patterns in Japan. I hope to go there one day and I want to be prepared, and comfortable.
Holy crap that's an involved question...

Hokkaido is cold
Okinawa is hot
Honshu and it's immediately adjacent islands are in the middle
Most of Japan has a spring that ends with a rainy season and then morphs into a humid hot summer and dries up for hay fever season with autumn and then depending on the place, no snow, to a speck to grab your snowboard and ride out the next few months!

99.9% of those 1000 earthquakes are undetectable to most people, I feel incredibly slight tremors about once a week, but I'm not always sure that's what they are, they could just be indigestion or a freight truck passing by, or the wind if I'm at work in the tall building.

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

02-24-2011, 02:06 PM

Tokyo- over the past year

Summer: hot as balls.
Fall: typhoons and crap.
Winter: mild. felt like spring.
Spring: snowy.

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography
(#4 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

02-24-2011, 03:32 PM

I find the climate in Japan to be fascinating but then I've always found weather and climate fascinating (that's why I majored in meteorology for my science degree).
Japan's climate really is quite unique. Being an island situated off the east of the huge Asian continent with a relatively mild body of water in between (The Sea of Japan) Japan has almost more of a continental than maritime climate even though it's an island.
There is huge variation in the climate from the southern islands around Okinawa situated in the sub tropics to the the cool temperate zone up in Hokkaido.
In the summer months much of Japan is affected by the East Asian Monsoon. This usually takes the form of a quasi-stationary front that gradually moves up through Honshu during June but rarely makes it right up to Hokkaido and if it does generally only briefly. In it's wake hot and very humid air coming up out of the South China Sea predominates throughout Honshu. From around September typhoons start making their way up towards Japan and can bring huge amounts of rain. Again these rarely make it all the way up to Hokkaido which on the whole manages to remain reasonably mild and definitely not so humid throughout the summer.
By October the quasi-stationary front has started moving back down bringing relief from the heat and humidity and by mid October frosts are becoming common up in Hokkaido and the peaks of the mountains are already dusted in snow.
By October Siberia is mostly covered in snow and already averaging temperatures well below freezing. Normally a reasonably strong stationary high pressure system starts to dominate over Eastern Siberia and low pressure systems start developing in the Sea of Okhotsk and Northern Pacific. When these combine cold air flows out of Siberia across the Sea of Japan and over Japan. First snowfalls to sea level start occurring from late October to early November in Hokkaido and by the end of Nov into early Dec regular cold outbreaks start bringing snow to lower levels right along the western seaboard of Japan. Because the cold air crosses the reasonably mild waters of the Sea of Japan it picks up a lot of moisture in what's know as the 'sea effect' which brings some of the heaviest snowfalls in the world to the western slopes of the mountains in Honshu and Hokkaido. It is a similar effect to the 'lake effect' snows experienced on the Eastern side of the Great Lakes in the US but a much more pronounced effect as it's a much larger body of water. Winters are long, cold and snowy up in Hokkaido and quite mild and short down in Kyushu.
The Spring and Autumn seasons are often fairly brief between the two major seasons Summer and Winter but they often have some of the best weather of the year.
Of course there's a whole lot more to it all. The other major factors that effect the climate here are two major ocean currents, the warm Kuroshio and the cold Oyashio. The paths these currents take can greatly effect the paths of major weather systems from year to year. Lots of other long term more global climate factors that affect the weather and climate here of course like El Nino, Arctic Oscillation, Pacific Decadal Oscillation, etc, etc.

Overall the climate here is pretty amazing. I'm still amazed at how hot and humid it can get in summer but by winter be snowing to sea level. Huge variations from North to South and from season to season. The climate has had a pretty big effect on Japanese culture and many of the biggest festivals throughout the year celebrate the changing of the seasons.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
tokusatsufan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-24-2011, 08:20 PM

I was relieved when it rained over there but it was fairly hot. If it's that hot in October,I'm gonna have to spend summer elsewhere.