godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

08-22-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokiburi View Post
If it were only cigarettes...

These are unhealthy anyway.

Unfortuntely it doesn't stop there.

Pharmaceuticals, aircraft parts, car parts, you name it.

Foodstuff too - remember that scandal about the adulterated milk ?
Far more than that... especially if you are Chinese and have exposures to Chinese news... More recent ones I've read are fake eggs, fake water melon, and fake pork...

Yes, fake pork, they use soaked card board and dye to similuate the texture....

A friend of mine, bought a pair of "Nike" in China, the entire thing was made with Paper.. he discovered that while running to the train station from the office while its raining.. it was embarrassing, he walk on to the train with no shoes and a pair of dripping socks....
(#32 (permalink))
Old
Gokiburi (Offline)
JF Regular

08-22-2011, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwine View Post

Yes, fake pork, they use soaked card board and dye to similuate the texture....

Judging from the taste, certain burger chains got there first with minced beef..
(#33 (permalink))
Old
Ryzorian (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-22-2011, 11:45 PM

Life is dangerous, should we stop trying to live it?. I mean really, if someone wants to smoke, that's thier choice just like drinking, doing drugs, jumping out of perfectly good airplanes, scaleing 30,000 foot mountains in winter with one rope. As long as what they do isn't going to interfere with someone else let them do what they want.

That should be the rule about it, if they don't hurt anyone else with thier activities, stop henpecking them.
(#34 (permalink))
Old
astrogaijin (Offline)
JF Regular

08-23-2011, 01:37 AM

Not surprising. When my friends went to china someone tried to sell them an iPhone 4 with a triangle home button. I yelled at them for not buying one. Also they didn't buy a Mao watch. I'd love one of those.
(#35 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-23-2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryzorian View Post
Life is dangerous, should we stop trying to live it?. I mean really, if someone wants to smoke, that's thier choice just like drinking, doing drugs, jumping out of perfectly good airplanes, scaleing 30,000 foot mountains in winter with one rope. As long as what they do isn't going to interfere with someone else let them do what they want.

That should be the rule about it, if they don't hurt anyone else with thier activities, stop henpecking them.
That's the problem, isn't it? What they do does hurt other people in many of those examples . . . second-hand smoke can be just as deadly as smoking itself, and drink/drugs lowers one's inhibitions and can make some people rather violent. I think many of the laws/rules involving these things are quite reasonable, and it's also reasonable to try and get people to stop behaviours that are a risk to themselves and others.

Plus jumping out of planes and rock-climbing are 'safe' activities, you do them with the expectation you'll make it out alive. Smoking causes damage regardless of any possible 'precautions', so it's not a risk but an actual threat, hardly comparable to the other examples.