JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-09-2011, 02:19 PM

I know it is a real issue, any product that can damage a person's health is a product that shouldn't really be on the market . . . but - to be honest - I doubt this topic will get much sympathy, or that anyone will care.

I don't say this to be harsh, but simply it seems generally that western society and culture is very much against smokers and smoking. Smokers are pretty much a minority, I read a statistic the other day that 22% of people smoke, which is less than a quarter, and the government only today has announced new measures to tackle it. It's seen as a social problem. Then there's the general mentality of 'if people want to do damage to their bodies anyway then why should I care if they eventually do get damaged, they brought it upon themselves'.

I hadn't actually heard of these 'fake' cigerettes until you mentioned them, and - yes - smokers need to be careful, but if they don't care about cancers and diseases that they inflict upon themselves why would anyone care about the ammount of lead that they could potentially take? The smokers take a risk every day, this is just one more risk.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-09-2011, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
well i am no expert but an expert said they contained massive amounts of lead.
he warned that they are like a loudly ticking time bomb.those who smoke them are in real danger healthwise.
But cigarettes themselves are a loudly ticking time bomb. It's like saying, "Be careful of the Chinese made grenades. They have extra shrapnel."
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Ryzorian (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

03-10-2011, 04:50 AM

Lead will kill you faster than cigs. Your really just talking degrees of death here. Sides, I would imagine these fakes are more problamatic overseas than in the US.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
03-10-2011, 08:10 AM

I think the really important thing that people are missing - these are FAKE cigarettes. The electronic types where you put an infuser of some type in them and "smoke". They are not tobacco products, and are not limited by age in many places. They are in Japan - you can`t buy them under 20 - but in a number of other countries they are classified as "novelty" items.

So... On top of being touted as a "safe alternative" to really smoking, they are available to children who are particularly susceptible to the neurological damage from lead and other contaminants.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-10-2011, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
I think the really important thing that people are missing - these are FAKE cigarettes. The electronic types where you put an infuser of some type in them and "smoke". .
Information I could have used YESTERDAY!

(#16 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

03-10-2011, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Information I could have used YESTERDAY!
???

All the posts that I see seem to be talking about these as if they are fakes of normal cigarettes - ie. the type with tobacco in them that you light...
Not the "pretend" plastic types with little plugs of scented something-or-other in them to "simulate" smoking.

The electronic ones are being marketed as a safe alternative to actually smoking - and for the legit ones, it apparently is. They can provide a decreasing dose of nicotine and give the smoker something to do when trying to quit. The legit ones are expensive - so there are fakes of these flooding the market using random chemicals that are more harmful than real cigarettes.

(#17 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-10-2011, 09:18 AM

Quote:
???

All the posts that I see seem to be talking about these as if they are fakes of normal cigarettes - ie. the type with tobacco in them that you light...
Not the "pretend" plastic types with little plugs of scented something-or-other in them to "simulate" smoking.

The electronic ones are being marketed as a safe alternative to actually smoking - and for the legit ones, it apparently is. They can provide a decreasing dose of nicotine and give the smoker something to do when trying to quit. The legit ones are expensive - so there are fakes of these flooding the market using random chemicals that are more harmful than real cigarettes.
Exactly. I thought the warning was about tobacco cigs.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

03-10-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Exactly. I thought the warning was about tobacco cigs.
Okay. The addition of the image made it seem sarcastic, as if I was stating the obvious.

(#19 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

03-10-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
I think the really important thing that people are missing - these are FAKE cigarettes. The electronic types where you put an infuser of some type in them and "smoke". They are not tobacco products, and are not limited by age in many places. They are in Japan - you can`t buy them under 20 - but in a number of other countries they are classified as "novelty" items.

So... On top of being touted as a "safe alternative" to really smoking, they are available to children who are particularly susceptible to the neurological damage from lead and other contaminants.

these are not the electronic type at all
(#20 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

03-10-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
But cigarettes themselves are a loudly ticking time bomb. It's like saying, "Be careful of the Chinese made grenades. They have extra shrapnel."

for pities sake i give up if people want to kill themselves then these cigs will help them on their way