LinkBack Thread Tools
(#221 (permalink))
Old
termogard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Post radioactivity - 03-12-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsygypsy View Post
current rate of the radioactivity is 1015 micro sievert/hour around the fukushima plant. I don't know what that means besides it's hella dangerous.
The experience, given by Chernobyl Disaster says that the most dangerous place due to heaviest radioactive poisoning is located inside and around the damaged Block of reactor and (in worst-case scenario) in an surrounding area up to 2 or 5 kilometers. Other regions of Japan may get certain amount of radiation with a vapor (from damaged cooling system, or after explosion of Block). But it strongly depends of local weather conditions (winds).
Try to stay mostly at home two or three days, do not open windows, use water from bottles and run home cooling system equipped by air purificator or portable air purificatror.

Real-life map of radioactive poisoning
(#222 (permalink))
Old
tipsygypsy (Offline)
wa gwaaan?

03-12-2011, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by termogard View Post
The experience, given by Chernobyl Disaster says that the most dangerous place due to heaviest radioactive poisoning is located inside and around the damaged Block of reactor and (in worst-case scenario) in an surrounding area up to 2 or 5 kilometers. Other regions of Japan may get certain amount of radiation with a vapor (from damaged cooling system, or after explosion of Block). But it strongly depends of local weather conditions (winds).
Try to stay mostly at home two or three days, do not open windows, use water from bottles and run home cooling system equipped by air purificator or portable air purificatror.

Real-life map of radioactive poisoning
gotcha

Jah Rastafaaari. Yeah pasta for life
(#223 (permalink))
Old
termogard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Post anti-radioactive measures - 03-12-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:
gotcha

I used to live near a base of nuclear submarines in my childhood. There was a similar type of explosion onboard one sub. The reactor containment was seriously damaged by hygrogen explosion. Waters of local sea as well as air were poisoned. Local authorities quickly informed people about an incident and provided the same recomendations I have posted above.
(#224 (permalink))
Old
tipsygypsy (Offline)
wa gwaaan?

03-12-2011, 09:21 AM

Quote:

I used to live near a base of nuclear submarines in my childhood. There was a similar type of explosion onboard one sub. The reactor containment was seriously damaged by hygrogen explosion. Waters of local sea as well as air were poisoned. Local authorities quickly informed people about an incident and provided the same recomendations I have posted above.
Thank you so much. That information really helps me.

(#225 (permalink))
Old
tipsygypsy (Offline)
wa gwaaan?

03-12-2011, 09:38 AM

@Go Native

watch out! wind is blowing toward hokkaido now

(#226 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

03-12-2011, 09:45 AM

The evacuation around Fukushima took place early this morning, so people who were within 3 kilometers are already gone. Evacuation orders to a 10km radius were issued earlier in the day. Not many people live near the plant as it is, so even in a worst-case scenario there would be few casualties.

I wouldn't want to be the one who has to pump in the boric acid, and if things have reached such a point it's probably futile anyway. The reactor is 40 years old, and given the level of quality of Japanese construction and materials at the time (the era when Japanese goods and steel were considered cheap junk), I doubt the containment system will be sufficient. The plant is built at the edge of the sea, so and outer containment system will be difficult to construct, and aftershocks continue to shake the area.

Another Chernobyl is unlikely, the Fukushima reactor is smaller, and is probably not capable of producing such a disaster. Still, if it melts down it's not going to be fun.

Japan cannot afford this tragedy, not with economic growth declining, a national debt more than 200% of GDP, and a stagnation in national spirit. People have been crying for change, perhaps this disaster will be the spark that ignites it.

Japan has always been good at recovering from the worst of disasters, but the disaster is more widespread than that caused by the earthquake, hopefully the momentum to rebuild will extend to the other troubles as well.
(#227 (permalink))
Old
termogard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Post valid info - 03-12-2011, 09:47 AM

Quote:
@Go Native

watch out! wind is blowing toward hokkaido now
tipsygypsy, watching national news in real-time, tell please, did observers detect iodine-131 in air near Fukushima?
If so, the reactor's core damaged 100%.

Last edited by termogard : 03-12-2011 at 09:56 AM. Reason: typo
(#228 (permalink))
Old
tipsygypsy (Offline)
wa gwaaan?

03-12-2011, 09:50 AM

Quote:
tipsygypsy, watching national news in real-time, tell please, did observers detect iodine-131 in air near Fulusima?
they are not telling any specific names of radioactive elements....

(#229 (permalink))
Old
tipsygypsy (Offline)
wa gwaaan?

03-12-2011, 09:51 AM

Quote:
tipsygypsy, watching national news in real-time, tell please, did observers detect iodine-131 in air near Fulusima?
now they just have mentioned about cesium.

(#230 (permalink))
Old
tipsygypsy (Offline)
wa gwaaan?

03-12-2011, 09:52 AM

a guy working at 2nd reactor is found dead