(#51 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
03-17-2011, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayci View Post
Listening to you is making me feel better to be honest.
I`m not saying that nothing bad will happen, and that there won`t be major effects on the immediate area - but I seriously doubt that it`s going to blow up and make Tokyo uninhabitable. That`s just fear mongering.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#52 (permalink))
Old
Kayci (Offline)
The odd Gaijin :3

Send a message via MSN to Kayci
03-17-2011, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
I`m not saying that nothing bad will happen, and that there won`t be major effects on the immediate area - but I seriously doubt that it`s going to blow up and make Tokyo uninhabitable. That`s just fear mongering.
Thats what I've been trying to tell others myself.
But...their negativity is wearing down on me

Coffee prevents me from killing you.
(#53 (permalink))
Old
Ryzorian (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

03-17-2011, 06:47 AM

It's not going to render Japan Uninhabitable, that's all over blown hype. The radiation from a reactor melt down, while dangerous for a local area is containable. Three Mile island had a complete meltdown and no one died and nobody had large rates of cancer. In fact, the other reactor at Three Mile Island is stilll active and has been since then.

Not to mention the fact reactor radiation is far different than Weapon radiation. Nukes have gamma rays and x-rays, both very deadly, even from short exposure. The Reactor has niether and never will, the uranium there just isn't pure enough for that type of reaction. More than likely they pave over the place, establish a perimiter and go from there.

Hell, the US tested several nukes out in the west dureing the 50's, people could see the mushroom clouds from Vegas and nobody there has three heads nor 50 foot tall spiders. People are over reacting to this.
(#54 (permalink))
Old
termogard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Post the solution - 03-17-2011, 07:59 AM

Quote:
I honestly cannot see where there was any stalling in an attempt to keep from shutting things down. Getting things completely shut down in the reactors suffering problems was and is in the best interest of the electric company, as it means they could bring those that are not damaged back on line more quickly.

I suppose you could interpret hoping for proper cooling solution so that they didn`t have to completely destroy the reactor "stalling" - but it isn`t as if it actually used any time as they neither had the coolant nor a way to pump anything at all in even without.
It`s like being in a desert and hoping for some fresh water when there is none at all, but then settling for some muddy puddle water when you finally find one.
The only solution I see now is a proven Soviet-Russian way, to drop a huge amount of boric acid, mixed with sand and cement on damaged reactors from helicopters. Day-by-day, untill radiation exposure will be significantly weak. Then allow a skilled personnel to work on a territory of nuclear power station a prolonged time and create sarcofaguses for damaged reactor blocks.
(#55 (permalink))
Old
savejapan (Offline)
New to JF

Save Japan - 03-17-2011, 08:04 AM

Why don’t they start loading off concrete delivered by Helicopters from a secure high over the site?
(#56 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-17-2011, 08:06 AM

Jeezus, there is no need to scream. Turn it down a little.
(#57 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

03-17-2011, 08:27 AM

I see we`re going to get calls for the concrete fairies here too, like everywhere else on the net.

They can`t even get enough water in - how on earth are they supposed to be able to get enough concrete in unless it starts magically appearing?

(#58 (permalink))
Old
termogard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Post enough concrete - 03-17-2011, 08:33 AM

Quote:
I see we`re going to get calls for the concrete fairies here too, like everywhere else on the net.

They can`t even get enough water in - how on earth are they supposed to be able to get enough concrete in unless it starts magically appearing?
Not a magic but a rude reality. "Smoking" reactors could become not only japanese but international problem and very soon.They need to step after "national pride" and ask help of China, ROK, Russia. Sure, all those countries could provide enough concrete, cement and boric acid in a relatively short period of time. As well as a large amout of heavy helicopters with skilled pilots.
(#59 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

03-17-2011, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by termogard View Post
Not a magic but a rude reality. "Smoking" reactors could become not only japanese but international problem and very soon.They need to step after "national pride" and ask help of China, ROK, Russia. Sure, all those countries could provide enough concrete, cement and boric acid in a relatively short period of time. As well as a large amout of heavy helicopters with skilled pilots.
The question is of how to actually get the stuff there.

Japan has already asked for help from pretty much everywhere. They went to the US and Russia pretty much first thing, according to all the news here. The word out now is that the US doesn`t want any of their pilots getting close to it.

Right now it`s an issue of getting water on the exposed spent fuel rods. They can`t just pop a cap on it and make it go away - there are steps they have to take.

You can`t just fly a plane over and dump a load of concrete on the whole thing.

(#60 (permalink))
Old
termogard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Post concrete - 03-17-2011, 08:58 AM

Quote:
You can`t just fly a plane over and dump a load of concrete on the whole thing.
Not a plane, of course. Heavy helicopters, as it was in case of shutting down a Chernobyl damaged reactor. Helos which could carry bulky packs of cargo. Dropping packs of boric acid and cement on each reactor, one-by-one.
One member of a Forum provided a link to a film

Last edited by termogard : 03-17-2011 at 08:59 AM. Reason: typo
Closed Thread