(#11 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

03-31-2011, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitotsz View Post
What are the ways to get a visa?

What is the cheapest option in Tokyo and how much would it cost?
A Korean blogger who have worked in Combini wrote that a 朝鮮族 (Korean Chinese) worked a night shift in a Tokyo Combini earning 280,000 yen/mo. which comes out to be $3382. http://flypo.tistory.com/328

Would you save more working in Combini in Tokyo or smaller cities like Nagasaki when you subtract the cheapest lodging options, respectively?
He was probably born in Japan or some how managed to get a visa for other reasons... like maybe his parent's lived there when he was young. No one gets a visa for working at a convenient store...
And 280,000y a month is going to be a hell of a hectic schedule, like at least 70hrs a week, at least!

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
03-31-2011, 03:52 PM

When it comes to getting a visa - you might want to check out this thread;

Graduate from college if you want to live in Japan.

The only way you can pull it off without a degree is by having some really special skill, and long term experience in that field... For example, I have heard of someone who had extensive (20+ years) experience as a mechanic on very specialized industrial machines getting a visa without a degree.

You don`t exactly need special skills to work in a combini.

You can make a lot and save a lot working anywhere, if you work enough. The combini night shift is on the higher end of the scale when it comes to hourly-wage type jobs... But it`s still only 1000 or so. So... To get that 280,000/month, you`d need to be working 280 hours a month. Working 8 hour shifts every day, with a double shift once a week might get you there.

Of course, that`s before taxes and health insurance. 280,000/month usually gets something like 80,000~100,000 taken out for that. (Differs depending on where you live.)

Why on earth would you want to slave away with no days off just to get by?

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
philostyle (Offline)
JF Regular

03-31-2011, 04:43 PM

I am confused as to why he wanted to work at a Konbini store.. but maybe this is his job back home? Sigh. I was just thinking that maybe there are unhappy people who think that happiness is easier to find in Japan.. Dear OP, why not try to aim higher? Then if all else fails, you can settle for the Konbini store plan..
(#14 (permalink))
Old
hitotsz (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-04-2011, 04:23 PM

Would you say teaching English in Japan is a pretty easy laid back job?

Also what is the cyber cafe costs in Hiroshima and Okinawa?

Last edited by hitotsz : 04-04-2011 at 04:32 PM.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-04-2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitotsz View Post
Would you say teaching English in Japan is a pretty easy laid back job?
From what I've heard it depends on a variety of factors. It's a job that can potentially be easy and laid-back, but not if you're planning on doing a good job and giving your students their money's worth. Teaching requires lesson plans, marking work, hours of lectures . . . if you do a good job you'll be spending a lot of your free time working too, like if a student has a problem you'll need to arrange time to talk things through with the student. People assume teaching's easy, but having taught and done a teaching course it's acutally very hard!

Some schools may let you turn up, talk to the class for an hour at a time, and do little else, but even if they did it wouldn't make you a good teacher and your students would suffer for it. So yes, it can be an easy laid-back job, but it really shouldn't be.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
robcardiv (Offline)
New to JF

04-05-2011, 05:21 AM

Rofl.

douchebag comments of the day, made by
RealJames
WingsToDiscovery

So what if his goal is to work at a gas station.
Some people would be happy to have even less, douchecrackers X_x.
im sure he knows his goals and limitations. and it sounds like he will do what ever it takes.

you think half the foreign people in the USA show up in management ?
At least hes aiming for something that might work for the time being.
untill he can find better.

and I bet they are way cooler to hang out with, than snobby
"omg i dont want to be his friend, he works at a gas station"
honkers.

Maybe I read the post wrong. I read it real fast. Sorry IF I missread something.

but Rofl @ floppycawk trollage if not.
Surely I missed something X_x

Last edited by robcardiv : 04-05-2011 at 05:31 AM.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-05-2011, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robcardiv View Post
Rofl.

douchebag comments of the day, made by
RealJames
WingsToDiscovery

So what if his goal is to work at a gas station.
Some people would be happy to have even less, douchecrackers X_x.
im sure he knows his goals and limitations. and it sounds like he will do what ever it takes.

you think half the foreign people in the USA show up in management ?
At least hes aiming for something that might work for the time being.
untill he can find better.

and I bet they are way cooler to hang out with, than snobby
"omg i dont want to be his friend, he works at a gas station"
honkers.

Maybe I read the post wrong. I read it real fast. Sorry IF I missread something.

but Rofl @ floppycawk trollage if not.
Surely I missed something X_x
You are missing the essential and primary issue. A gas station isn't going to give you a work visa. A convenience store isn't going to give you a work visa. McDonald's isn't going to give you a work visa.

It is easier to dream of being the president of a corporation in Japan than to dream of pumping gas.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

04-05-2011, 07:06 AM

thanks for calling me a douchebag lol

and even if someone somehow got a visa for stocking shelves, if they were going to be doing it so much to make 280,000y a month, they would have ZERO left over time to even notice what continent they are in haha

it's not like it's taking a blow or salary cut to live where you want to live
it's surviving in a place where all you can do is survive, if you try to do anything else, like, spend one day a month sightseeing, or going to 1 concert, you starve

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
It is easier to dream of being the president of a corporation in Japan than to dream of pumping gas.
I'd like to point out to readers that this isn't exaggeration, it's fact. The former is feasible, the former is Impossible, with a capital I, and this period following it -> .
Hell I'm a president now haha. It's not even such an unrealistic dream lol.

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.

Last edited by RealJames : 04-05-2011 at 07:09 AM.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
hitotsz (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-06-2011, 06:21 AM

May I ask what kind of corporation you are president of? And how do you become that? just exploring possibilities here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealJames View Post
thanks for calling me a douchebag lol

and even if someone somehow got a visa for stocking shelves, if they were going to be doing it so much to make 280,000y a month, they would have ZERO left over time to even notice what continent they are in haha

it's not like it's taking a blow or salary cut to live where you want to live
it's surviving in a place where all you can do is survive, if you try to do anything else, like, spend one day a month sightseeing, or going to 1 concert, you starve

I'd like to point out to readers that this isn't exaggeration, it's fact. The former is feasible, the former is Impossible, with a capital I, and this period following it -> .
Hell I'm a president now haha. It's not even such an unrealistic dream lol.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

04-06-2011, 06:48 AM

The fundamental thing that some of you seem to not quite get is that you just can't rock up in Japan and expect to work in any job (even cheap arse ones like in a convenience store). For one Japan doesn't have any structured immigration intake policy. Australia for instance has an annual intake of around 110,000 migrants in it's skilled migrant intake and are looking at increasing it further. There is no similar intake in Japan. You can't just apply to come and live in Japan. You need to get yourself a working visa. And the first thing that immigration will look at when reviewing a sponsored working visa application is can a Japanese person do the same job without any problems? If they can then they are very unlikely to issue a visa. This is why english teaching is one of the main ways to get a visa. You will need to have a bachelors degree as a minimum to get the visa for a teaching position. Once you have a sponsored working visa it becomes easier to change careers as getting the visa extended is a lot easier than getting it in the first place. I have managed to spend the vast bulk of my time in Japan without teaching english (for which I'm very grateful as I didn't really enjoy it).