LinkBack Thread Tools
(#41 (permalink))
Old
tokusatsufan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-01-2011, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StonerPenguin View Post
Haha, I'm American, and I do know a bit about Scotland & Ireland (Read James Joyce extensively and I love Franz Ferdinand :P) but I didn't know England ≠ Britain. I knew that Ireland and Scotland was part of the UK though. So The United Kingdom and Britain are the same thing?
DUUUUR Only British people know apparently Sorry Brits.
We meant your average non-British person.
(#42 (permalink))
Old
StonerPenguin (Offline)
loves bein' gross ಥ‿

05-02-2011, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairebear View Post
Britain = Scotland, England, Wales

United Kingdom = Scotland, England, Wales, Northern Ireland
Thank you Claire! I didn't know that. You learn something new everyday Not to sound like an American 'tard but what's the reason behind the the two different groups of countries? That is, why isn't N. Ireland part of Britain? I've read there's a good bit of ill feelings for Britain by the Irish, and that the Irish think the North Irish are traitors for staying part of the UK, right? Sorry if this info is off. I learned this stuff in high school so it's vague now.

Hey, does this rag smell like chloroform?
(#43 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

05-02-2011, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Thank you Claire! I didn't know that. You learn something new everyday Not to sound like an American 'tard but what's the reason behind the the two different groups of countries? That is, why isn't N. Ireland part of Britain? I've read there's a good bit of ill feelings for Britain by the Irish, and that the Irish think the North Irish are traitors for staying part of the UK, right? Sorry if this info is off. I learned this stuff in high school so it's vague now.
Northern Ireland is part of the UK but not part of Britain which is the name of the Island.
(#44 (permalink))
Old
StonerPenguin (Offline)
loves bein' gross ಥ‿

05-02-2011, 12:23 AM

Thanks Ronin! History and Geography ain't my forte. Thanks for humoring the stupid people.

Hey, does this rag smell like chloroform?
(#45 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

05-02-2011, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Thanks Ronin! History and Geography ain't my forte. Thanks for humoring the stupid people.
lol... No problem.

You aren't stupid.. a lot of people outside the UK don't know this and as I've said before... I still don't understand how Scotland qualifies as a country.

I mean I do... it has its own government which handles internal matters however defers to London for its foreign relations. But to me that's just like a state government - federal government relationship.
(#46 (permalink))
Old
ColinHowell (Offline)
JF Regular

05-02-2011, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
... as I've said before... I still don't understand how Scotland qualifies as a country.

I mean I do... it has its own government which handles internal matters however defers to London for its foreign relations. But to me that's just like a state government - federal government relationship.
I guess it depends how you define "country". I personally use it to mean an independent sovereign state, which Scotland obviously is not. However, the use of "country" to denote the separate entities of England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland is apparently common practice in the United Kingdom. I do get the impression that these components of the United Kingdom have more autonomy than U.S. states do, though I can't confirm that.

However, you have to admit that the various parts of the U.K. do have a long history in which they were quite independent. Wales was an independent realm well into the Middle Ages until its conquest by Edward I of England in 1282. It and Cornwall were the last remnants of the old Roman province of Britannia to remain free from the Anglo-Saxon invaders of Britain. The Welsh language is completely separate from English; it's a Celtic language most closely related to Cornish and Breton, and somewhat more distantly related to Irish and Scottish Gaelic.

Scotland, despite English attempts to conquer it, remained as a completely independent monarchy until 1603, when its king James VI inherited England's crown, as James I of England, after the death of Elizabeth I. He continued to reign as king of both Scotland and England, as well as becoming king of Ireland. All three of these realms had separate governments and even separate kingships which just happened to be held by the same person. These kingships did not begin to be unified until a century later, with the 1707 Acts of Union which united the English and Scottish kingships, a process which led eventually to today's United Kingdom.

And of course, Scotland also has its own languages: Scots, a close relative of English but a distinct language nonetheless, and Scottish Gaelic, a Celtic language closest to Irish Gaelic.

Compared to the situation in the U.K., the only real analogue among the U.S. states is Hawaii, which was an independent kingdom for about a century until it fell under U.S. rule during the 1890s. There's also the Republic of Texas, but that only lasted for about ten years from 1836 to 1846. So apart from Hawaii there's really not much room for comparison.
(#47 (permalink))
Old
ColinHowell (Offline)
JF Regular

05-02-2011, 07:15 AM

Quote:
It's not really a Japanese thing, it's a worldwide thing. Most people think that Britain = England. If I tell someone I'm British, they're going to assume I'm English (the biggest insult to a Scot LOL). I always have the depressing job of explaining that Britain is in fact an island consisting of 3 countries...

Somebody thinking Wales or Scotland are part of England...well...that's just a whole new level of fail.
To be fair, the British themselves, and particularly the English, are largely to blame for this, since previous generations of Britons often used "England" and "English" when they meant the U.K. and British.

Today's British seem to more careful in this regard, and I try to be as well.
(#48 (permalink))
Old
JamboP26 (Offline)
日本オタク

Send a message via MSN to JamboP26
05-02-2011, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
If Scotland is a country then California is a country.

I see Scotland as a country, with its own flag and own government. Its split into county's e.g. Angus, Aberdeenshire, Lothian etc. which is similar in the US's states and Japan's/China's prefectures

I'm a Cafe-kko, Nyappy in the World. But GazeRock is not dead. 「Sixth Gun」です

An Cafe, Vidoll, Versailles, Dir En Grey, Deathgaze, the GazettE, alice nine., UVERworld, Kiryu , YUI, AKB48, Buono!, Berryz Koubou, C-ute, S/mileage, Morning Musume, Zoro, Lolita23Q, Visual Kei, Oshare Kei, J-Rock, J-Pop, Idol groups FTW (≧∀≦)
(#49 (permalink))
Old
termogard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Smile illiteracy - 05-02-2011, 09:18 AM

Quote:
....and he messaged me saying hi and he asked me where I was from. After I told him I'm from Scotland he said "where is that?"

Seems, some people never heard about geography.
(#50 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

05-02-2011, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinHowell View Post
To be fair, the British themselves, and particularly the English, are largely to blame for this, since previous generations of Britons often used "England" and "English" when they meant the U.K. and British.

Today's British seem to more careful in this regard, and I try to be as well.
quite frankly I consider my self English first, I am not welsh, or scottish or Irish but I live in the UK-- in England.