JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
RickOShay (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Nihongo Pera^Pera^ - 06-30-2011, 01:26 PM

I am not sure if this would go in the language forum but I am curious if my hunch is right about this.

I teach at elementary schools a lot, and sometimes the homeroom teacher announces that I can speak Japanese, and sometimes some kid in the back will shout out "Nihongo Pera Pera" in a strange accent, and I just wanted to confirm if this is a Japanese way of mocking English speakers accents (pretty sure it is, but I do not want to shit on the mood for the rest of the class so I usually ignore it), in the same way some English speakers sometimes make fun of Japanese people talking in katakana English or not being able to pronounce "L"s and "R"s correctly? Has anyone else experienced this, or can confirm this hunch? I would like to know because these kids should be called out, and their teachers should understand that its not cool to mock people like this. I mean I know people make fun of people from other countries in every country, but if it is important to internationalize and stay a moral character notch above others, then this should be called out I think.

Any thoughts?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

06-30-2011, 01:33 PM

It's strange because he might be saying it weirdly, but at the same time he's saying "you're fluent" in response. So I don't really understand what the joke would be. Do any of the other kids give off any reaction?

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography
(#3 (permalink))
Old
RickOShay (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-30-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsToDiscovery View Post
It's strange because he might be saying it weirdly, but at the same time he's saying "you're fluent" in response. So I don't really understand what the joke would be. Do any of the other kids give off any reaction?
Sometimes I might hear a giggle or two, but it is said in a way that does not sound like natural Japanese to me, and I know that many native English speakers have problems with proper influx etc. when speaking Japanese, so I am kind of assuming it is a way of mocking English speakers, speaking Japanese. I just want some confirmation before I start calling kids out on it and talking to their teachers about it.

I do not understand the humor either but it is probably along the lines of us saying "I kyan supi-ku Engurishu."
(#4 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-30-2011, 02:57 PM

I think it's obvious that it's more of a mocking gesture than a compliment.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
06-30-2011, 03:02 PM

For some reason, I am thinking that it is imitating some comedy sketch. I can`t remember what, but I am thinking it isn`t so much mocking you, but the way the teacher has said that you can speak Japanese. To the kids, chances are they really don`t think that much about it to actually mock. But if a teacher says the same thing as some comedian... Well, excellent opportunity to make a joke.

I wouldn`t hesitate, however, to point out that it isn`t a kind remark and can be considered mocking.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
steven (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-01-2011, 09:47 AM

100% mocking. I have heard it said the exact way you are describing. It's a combination of kids (or some times adults) who like to say the phrase 'pera pera' and them trying a little bit to make fun of you (and possibly the teacher who said it to begin with). Don't let it get to you. The teacher probably won't do anything about it anyways.

In my opinion there are a couple of options:

1. Play along, say something in a terrible accent on purpose, and get more laughs than the kid. (in a weird way, I think that would get back at the kid without getty nasty). The teacher may not agree with this approach depending on their personality of course.

or

2. Actually be pera-pera thus making the kid look just plain silly for saying it in the first place.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
tazzy (Offline)
JF Regular

07-01-2011, 12:06 PM

What does pera pera mean? I've not heard that one.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-01-2011, 01:15 PM

pera pera refers to fluency although it can also mean weak or flimsy in regards to material strength.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
RickOShay (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-01-2011, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
For some reason, I am thinking that it is imitating some comedy sketch. I can`t remember what, but I am thinking it isn`t so much mocking you, but the way the teacher has said that you can speak Japanese. To the kids, chances are they really don`t think that much about it to actually mock. But if a teacher says the same thing as some comedian... Well, excellent opportunity to make a joke.

I wouldn`t hesitate, however, to point out that it isn`t a kind remark and can be considered mocking.
I was kind of thinking this was a possibility too. Lots of stuff comedians say is often imitated by kids.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
RickOShay (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-01-2011, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven View Post
100% mocking. I have heard it said the exact way you are describing. It's a combination of kids (or some times adults) who like to say the phrase 'pera pera' and them trying a little bit to make fun of you (and possibly the teacher who said it to begin with). Don't let it get to you. The teacher probably won't do anything about it anyways.

In my opinion there are a couple of options:

1. Play along, say something in a terrible accent on purpose, and get more laughs than the kid. (in a weird way, I think that would get back at the kid without getty nasty). The teacher may not agree with this approach depending on their personality of course.

or

2. Actually be pera-pera thus making the kid look just plain silly for saying it in the first place.
Oh it doesn't get to me at all. I am just deciding whether or not it is something the kids should be called out on for the sake of appropriateness. I mean, I cannot imagine a teacher in America would let it slide if a Japanese guest came to talk, and one of the kids in the back shouted out "Harro!", in an effort to get some cheap laughs. I just feel it is not the appropriate situation for those kinds of jokes, in front of the person who is a guest in their classroom.

If I do start to do anything about it though, I will probably just remember the kid and bring it up to the teachers at the meeting at the end of the day.