JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-13-2011, 01:51 AM

Whaling has very limited cultural history or value except in some fairly specific areas. If you wanted to use the cultural part as justification to continue whaling then why do they not hunt the whales in traditional waters around the Japanese coastline? Why do they hunt the whales in the southern ocean around Antarctica? Is that part of their cultural heritage?
Demand for whale meat is pretty low. From all accounts there are huge stockpiles of frozen whale meat that they struggle to sell. They've tried making it a compulsory part of lunches in many schools but that doesn't seem to have gone down too well. Overall whale it an aquired taste (I've had some) with limited appeal. The industry is heavily subsidised by the government as it is not profitable at all. In my own opinion the government continues to support the industry purely for political reasons and nothing whatsoever to do with scientific or cultural reasons.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
siokan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-13-2011, 02:51 AM

I'm twelve years old.
What stupid decreased the whale sharply?

Please permit poor English. orz
Cryptanalysis is necessary for you.
set a goal:English at the same level as Johan Cruyff
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Ryzorian (Offline)

07-14-2011, 02:55 AM

Beer is an aquired taste as well Gonative..yet it seems to be pretty popular.

I'm not disagreeing about whaleing persay, I'm just saying.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)

07-14-2011, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryzorian View Post
Beer is an aquired taste as well Gonative..yet it seems to be pretty popular.

I'm not disagreeing about whaleing persay, I'm just saying.
Sure but I don't believe the government has to subsidise the beer companies to keep their industry going does it?
The whaling industry is heavily subsidised. If it wasn't it would have gone broke many years ago.
You have to ask the question why is the government propping up this industry that doesn't really employ all that many people anymore and causes such international condemnation?
It doesn't make good economic sense at all. The domestic market for the meat is only very small (much smaller than the amount they catch) and is declining. Culturally there are only a few towns that could say they have a long history of whaling and I doubt any of them would be devastated if the industry were to discontinue. The current industry isn't like some indigenous culture maintaining a hunting practice that has huge cultural significance. If it was about that they'd be hunting whale in their traditional hunting grounds wouldn't they?
The only reason to continue whaling I can see is a political one. Primarily I think it's an easy way for the government to appease the ultra nationalists.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Umihito (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-14-2011, 07:34 AM

I very much like your points GoNative.

Also, I'm curious. How is whaling considered cultural heritage? That may seem vague, but it's hard to explain. Like... what part of whaling is cultural? It's not unique to Japan... all it includes are some boats and some big factories... I just don't see what part of it is considered cultural.

I may be looking at the word 'culture' the wrong way, but I just don't see how that's a valid reason, plus the other points you said.

I would have thought whaling was cultural if they were catching them with bamboo spears, nets and via traditional means (not trying to sound racist lol).
(#16 (permalink))
Old
DragonNL (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-14-2011, 10:48 AM

Well, whatever the reason, it's legal for Japan to hunt whales. So we have no right to stop them.
For some strange reason I don't really care if the whaling continues even tough I love whale as an animal, not food.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)

07-14-2011, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonNL View Post
Well, whatever the reason, it's legal for Japan to hunt whales. So we have no right to stop them.
For some strange reason I don't really care if the whaling continues even tough I love whale as an animal, not food.
Other countries have every right to ask Japan to stop whaling. Just like they ask China to respect human rights. Of course in both cases these requests can be ignored
(#18 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)

07-14-2011, 06:34 PM

It's like bullfighting in Spain. There are those who say it's animal cruelty and those who defend it because it's part of the national heritage/culture....
(#19 (permalink))
Old
Nameless (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-14-2011, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBraden View Post
It's like bullfighting in Spain. There are those who say it's animal cruelty and those who defend it because it's part of the national heritage/culture....
-.- That is not a good argument, it's like saying it is ok for Germans to kill Jewish people just because that's what they once did.

Animal cruelty is more or less the same thing. In the case of japan, if the demand is really low (as someone mentioned), then they ought to stop, since they are simply misusing resources and threatening ecosystems just 'because'.

I know it's hard for Japanese people to change their cultural behavior, however in this case they should at least breed their own whales, so it doesn't affect that much the ecosystems.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)

07-14-2011, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
-.- That is not a good argument, it's like saying it is ok for Germans to kill Jewish people just because that's what they once did.

Animal cruelty is more or less the same thing. In the case of japan, if the demand is really low (as someone mentioned), then they ought to stop, since they are simply misusing resources and threatening ecosystems just 'because'.

I know it's hard for Japanese people to change their cultural behavior, however in this case they should at least breed their own whales, so it doesn't affect that much the ecosystems.
That is not the same. Killing people is not part of any countries' national cultural heritage (and by this, I mean arts and entertainment).

Last edited by JohnBraden : 07-14-2011 at 11:18 PM.