JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#31 (permalink))
Old
tokusatsufan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-16-2011, 10:57 AM

Well people aren't having a whale of a time in here! I think this topic's jumped the shark!
(#32 (permalink))
Old
DragonNL (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-16-2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umihito View Post
I agree with GoNative.

I mean, I really wouldn't put Paul Watson on par with Bin Laden. I know there can be lesser forms of terrorism, but c'mon. They don't hurt anyone, and don't intend on hurting anyone. And that's not terrorism. All they want to do is taint some meat and cut some lines.
You know how violent they are towards the hunters right? But anyway, a more precise term is Eco-terrorism.

Quote:
Eco-terrorism usually refers to acts of violence or sabotage committed in support of ecological, environmental, or animal rights causes against persons or their property.[1][2]

In a 2002 testimony to the US Congress, an FBI official mentioned the actions of Sea Shepherd Conservation Society in the context of eco-terrorism.[19] The Sea Shepherd Conservation Society intervenes against whaling, seal hunting, and fishing operations with direct action tactics. In 1986, the group caused nearly 1.8 million dollars worth of damage to equipment used by whalers in Iceland.[9] In 1992, they attacked two Japanese ships that were drift-net fishing for squid by cutting their nets and throwing bombs on board the boats.[12]
Eco-terrorism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And maybe whaling hás something to do with culture:

Quote:
Tokyo makes no secret of the fact that the meat ends up on dinner tables and accuses Westerners of insensitivity to its whaling culture.
Japan to arrest anti-whaling activists, newspaper reports ‹ Japan Today: Japan News and Discussion
(#33 (permalink))
Old
Umihito (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-17-2011, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonNL View Post
You know how violent they are towards the hunters right? But anyway, a more precise term is Eco-terrorism.

Eco-terrorism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And maybe whaling hás something to do with culture:

Japan to arrest anti-whaling activists, newspaper reports ‹ Japan Today: Japan News and Discussion
Well, I guess I can't disagree with the definition there.

But about the culture part. Sure, they can say it's their whaling culture all they want, but what part of it is cultural? That's what I don't understand. What do they have to back it up?
(#34 (permalink))
Old
OHayou (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-19-2011, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokusatsufan View Post
LOL! A whale of a request! I didn't know it was gonna be a bad joke. I love stuff like that.

[snip]

The reason why I say Europeans, I once asked if there was anything vegetarian on a boat and the French woman said ''There is fish''.
lol @ whale of a request .. it WAS / IS a bad joke right!?

lol @ "there is fish" ! Love it!