(#11 (permalink))
Old
pekmezza (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via Skype™ to pekmezza
08-09-2011, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryzorian View Post
European countries can be at each other's throats... look how Serbia and Kosovo went at it...and that was because of bad blood from the 1300's.
Sorry..bad blood? lol
Just for the record, Battle of Kosovo was 1389. between Serbian and Ottoman Empire.
Sultan Murat I (Turkey) first attacked Serbia. Kosovo was Serbia.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-10-2011, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pekmezza View Post
Sorry..bad blood? lol
Just for the record, Battle of Kosovo was 1389. between Serbian and Ottoman Empire.
Sultan Murat I (Turkey) first attacked Serbia. Kosovo was Serbia.
Having done a quick search, I'm not sure what you are correcting in Ryozarian's statement . . .

1389 was in the 1300's, as he said. Turkey is partially in Europe, so regardless of who fought who the point about bad blood between European countries remains. Also I'm a little uncertain about Serbia and Kosovo . . . the information I'm finding is rather confusing, but it seems they are currently seperate states that experience a lot of conflict for various reasons, reasons that seem to stem back to the Kosovo war . . .?

Either way, I think his point remains. They're all European, and they did have bad blood between them.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Ghap (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-18-2011, 10:51 AM

OMG

Really!
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Ryzorian (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-19-2011, 02:24 AM

Pekmezza: In reguard to why Serbs and Kosavars..who are largely Albainian hate each other. It does stem from that battle in 1389..the Albainians converted to Islam dureing this period..basically to save thier hide, cause it was convert or die. The Serbs felt betrayed by that and have NEVER FORGOTTEN it, Nor FORGIVEN it. Thus conflict.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
bearclaw (Offline)
New to JF

08-19-2011, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Pekmezza: In reguard to why Serbs and Kosavars..who are largely Albainian hate each other. It does stem from that battle in 1389..the Albainians converted to Islam dureing this period..basically to save thier hide, cause it was convert or die. The Serbs felt betrayed by that and have NEVER FORGOTTEN it, Nor FORGIVEN it. Thus conflict.
Albanian's didn't convert in that period nor was it as bloody as you paint it... it seems to me that you are talking of something you really don't know much of

yes
yes
yes
end fire
(#16 (permalink))
Old
JBaymore (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-19-2011, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by japan1234567 View Post
In fact NATO (North Atlantic Treaty Organization) is unifying European countries! So they use to act together (USA has the lead) to defend their interest! But otherwise they have differences in all other sectors. Germanic, Latin and other races-ethnics think differently...

Belgium is an example: Since June 2010 there is no government because Belgian Flemings (speak Dutch) and Belgian Wallonia (speak French) can't agree about Bruxelles communities "official" languages!! In some areas both languages are spoken! So, a government can't be built!
I am reminded in this whole discussion of the phrase, "The enemy of my enemy is my friend."

It is all about current self-interests.

best,

............john
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Ryzorian (Offline)

08-21-2011, 03:14 AM

Yes many converted, considering they are muslim now. Yes it was bloody. You don't think ethinc cleansing didn't take place then? It wasn't called the dark ages because no one had eltricity.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
bearclaw (Offline)
New to JF

08-25-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Yes many converted, considering they are muslim now. Yes it was bloody. You don't think ethinc cleansing didn't take place then? It wasn't called the dark ages because no one had eltricity.
If you read carefully then you'll notice that I wrote that they didn't convert in that period... they converted them much later by offering advantages with diffrent positions (army, bureaucratic) and with trade networks.

For the record it's called the dark ages since Europe took a step back with science... hmmm... more intellectually actually (if you can say that).

yes
yes
yes
end fire
(#19 (permalink))
Old
DragonNL (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-26-2011, 12:10 AM

Quote:
European countries can be at each other's throats with very little provaction..they have thousands of years of blood between them and they all know it. Sure it's Peaceful now, but don't think old grudges are passed away, look how Serbia and Kosovo went at it...and that was because of bad blood from the 1300's.
Well, I don't know about Serbia, but at least all the countries that are in the EU are fine. The only people that still have grudges against other countries are some people that have lived in the time of WW2. With all other people the grudges ARE passed away. UK, Holland, Belgium, Germany, France .... we have put the past behind us.
I love Germans just as much as the Dutch. For example when our country has to play football against Germany, I'm actually cheering for Germany.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
Ryzorian (Offline)

08-26-2011, 07:10 PM

I understand that's how it is currently, but resentment, anger and hostility won't go away that easily. With the European economy struggleing and many EU countries on the verge of finacial collapse, they won't be so chummy. Germany, with it's successful economy will be seen through the eyes of jelousy. Germans will become suspicious of others intent. We have seen this book written before in Europe and around the world.

Bearclaw; I agree about the Dark ages was Europe takeing a step back. The barbarians destroyed the Roman empire and with it went all the technicians, arcitects, masons, doctors, writers and artists. They basically had to relearn everything from scratch. As much as people hate empires, they bring civilization.

Last edited by Ryzorian : 08-26-2011 at 07:14 PM.