JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Nippom (Offline)
regular

European vs. Asian nations as groups - 08-04-2011, 11:19 PM

I tried for a descriptive title, but what I'm asking is,
I often imagine in my mind and group the European nations such as England, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, the Scandinavian countries, and so on, view themselves and each other as a sort of symbiotic whole made up of vaguely related but not identical parts,

and then compare this to the mutual relationships of China, Taiwan, Korea, Japan, Vietnam, Cambodia, and other Asian nations, that they view themselves much the same way as the first group do themselves.

Is the analogy realistic or supportable, or are there serious problems with comparing the two 'constellations' like this?

Last edited by Nippom : 09-27-2011 at 03:30 AM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Ryzorian (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-05-2011, 12:21 AM

European countries can be at each other's throats with very little provaction..they have thousands of years of blood between them and they all know it. Sure it's Peaceful now, but don't think old grudges are passed away, look how Serbia and Kosovo went at it...and that was because of bad blood from the 1300's.

Asia is much the same, these countries have alot of history together and much of it is strife based.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Kayci (Offline)
The odd Gaijin :3

Send a message via MSN to Kayci
08-05-2011, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryzorian View Post
European countries can be at each other's throats with very little provaction..they have thousands of years of blood between them and they all know it. Sure it's Peaceful now, but don't think old grudges are passed away, look how Serbia and Kosovo went at it...and that was because of bad blood from the 1300's.

Asia is much the same, these countries have alot of history together and much of it is strife based.
Biggest thing? Japan and Korea...eesh...(at least in the news now...)

Coffee prevents me from killing you.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-05-2011, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nippom View Post
I tried for a descriptive title, but what I'm asking is,
I often imagine in my mind and group the European nations such as England, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, the Scandinavian countries, and so on, view themselves and each other as a sort of symbiotic whole made up of vaguely related but not identical parts,

and then compare this to the mutual relationships of China, Taiwan, Korea, Japan, Vietnam, Cambodia, and other Asian nations, that they view themselves much the same way as the first group do themselves.

Is the analogy realistic or supportable, or are there serious problems with comparing the two 'constellations' like this?
I don't think you can really group together either set of countries, and this is very much for similiar reasons to what Ryzorian said. To start with each and every country in Europe (and Asia) has it's own language, history, culture, cuisine and so forth. There are many who consider themselves "European", but they still aren't comparable to other Europeans.

In regards to some countries - specifically the UK - there is a lot of antipathy towards Europe. Scotland and Wales are fighting for independence from the United Kingdom, and the United Kingdom - whilst a part of the E.U - has never fully subscribed to all it's laws and rules, just look at the issues surrounding currency. Then there's all the bad blood already mentioned due to wars over the years . . .

So I would say your analogy isn't realistic or supportable, just because many of the countries don't view themselves as you've suggested, and if they did I would wonder if it was even possible to compare Europe to Asia in mentality anyway. Sure, they might both see themselves as part of a 'group', but doesn't the very idea of a 'group' vary from culture to culture, and the concept of what duties one owes to any given group?
(#5 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)

08-05-2011, 11:25 AM

The only real thing they have in common is they are countries grouped into continents.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

08-05-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBraden View Post
The only real thing they have in common is they are countries grouped into continents.
Or by skin color at best.......

I can't say for Europe, not European, never been.

BUT.. Take China for example, Taiwan, Hong Kong and Macau should have a very close bond. BUT there are a huge difference with the culture, fashion, food, etce etc with all 4 places. Then you throw Japan and Korea into the mix, you widen the difference even more..... Vienam and Cambodia, Lao, Thai etc, intoduce a even deeper difference, especially in the religion side, and cultural food.....
(#7 (permalink))
Old
japan1234567 (Offline)
JF Regular

08-05-2011, 04:17 PM

In fact NATO (North Atlantic Treaty Organization) is unifying European countries! So they use to act together (USA has the lead) to defend their interest! But otherwise they have differences in all other sectors. Germanic, Latin and other races-ethnics think differently...

Belgium is an example: Since June 2010 there is no government because Belgian Flemings (speak Dutch) and Belgian Wallonia (speak French) can't agree about Bruxelles communities "official" languages!! In some areas both languages are spoken! So, a government can't be built!
(#8 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)

08-05-2011, 05:46 PM

There's not much left of the North Atlantic in NATO.... Seems if you're in Europe, you can apply to join.... Once the Warsaw Pact dissolved, NATO was obsolete....
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Gokiburi (Offline)
JF Regular

08-06-2011, 04:03 PM

Vaguely related - hmmm...

It's only 3% of our DNA that sets us apart from chimpanzees.

Since we've got only this 'ere planet and it doesn't look like we're going anywhere else soon we can keep going like in the past - hacking away at each other till the last one's standing - or try and figure out a way how to get our sh*t together. Doesn't have to be one beeeg happy family. I'll settle for mutual respect , live and let live for starters. Besides, fun 'n fornication beats fighting every time
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Ryzorian (Offline)

08-07-2011, 03:35 AM

Dude, we barely have 10% DNA that seperates us from the common housfly, so that's sort of an flippant answer. Of course we have similer DNA we are built on the same system.

I will make one interesting point that science has only recently discovered. Europenas and Asians have between 1 to 4% Neanderthal DNA while Africans have 0%. They don't know what caused this but it is interesting to note that Europeans and Asians are related through common ancestry.