LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

08-23-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrookeJade View Post
I am from Canada and we take off our shoes at the door just like the Japanese and I was wondering maybe if we had got that from the Japanese? Im not a hundred percent sure about whether or not Americans take off their shoes at the door, but from what i've seen, they don't. But like I said I do not know. I don't even notice when I take off my shoes at the door, its second nature to me. I really couldn't imagine walking around all day with shoes on. In most schools where I live, shoes are even taken off in elementary schools. I have noticed this to be simular in Japan.
I don't believe it was a habit that was "taken" from any one specific culture, but a habit that makes sense... as dogsbody pointed out, why would anyone want to carry dirt/mud/dog poops inside a perfectly clean house?
(#12 (permalink))
Old
DragonNL (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-23-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSensei View Post
As for public buildings in Japan, I never had to take my shoes off in shops or in family / fast food restaurants. However I did in most other kinds of restaurants. At work I did too.
Exactly, in most public buildings you can keep your shoes on. Only in some restaurants you have to take them off.
However, I didn't visit every possible kind of public building.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
08-23-2011, 03:31 PM

You most definitely do not take your shoes off in most public buildings...
It is a home or certain restaurant sort of thing. The rule is more "Am I going to be walking on tatami?" - if so, then you will be taking your shoes off either at the door or at the edge of the tatami area. Most public buildings are not tatami, so taking your shoes off is fairly rare.
Another note - even if there are slippers provided, you never wear them on tatami. They are for walking in areas other than tatami, such as hallways, kitchen, etc. You will often see it written that you should always take your shoes off when inside, and that there are separate slippers for the toilet... But it is pretty rare to see the "no slippers on tatami (or carpet when in a private home)" thing mentioned.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-23-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrookeJade View Post
I am from Canada and we take off our shoes at the door just like the Japanese and I was wondering maybe if we had got that from the Japanese?
We got it from being tired of having to wipe dog-shit and mud stains from our carpets.

Edit : Looks like my other fellow Canadian has said the same thing. Haha!
(#15 (permalink))
Old
BrookeJade (Offline)
New to JF

Smile 08-23-2011, 04:24 PM

I don't have a specific cultural background that would make it so I had to take off my shoes, we just do it. As for public buildings, no we don't take off our shoes unless your at a doctors office or sometimes school buildings if your shoes are very dirty. It does indeed snow here but it is not cold all year round and we still take off our shoes in any weather. Like I said its second nature, and im not too sure about the other parts of Canada but seeing as people come to where I live frequently to find work, it seems like second nature to them too to take off their shoes in a home. The main factor is to not getting the floor dirty i suppose. Which makes sense cause I would not want to be cleaning up shoe marks from my floor everyday lol
(#16 (permalink))
Old
astrogaijin (Offline)
JF Regular

08-23-2011, 08:17 PM

I keep slippers by my bathroom door. But that bathroom is connected to my room so I only use it at night and when I shower and the slippers are really only for the winter since the tiles are cold. I also have a different pair of slippers I wear around the house but it's more so my feet stay warm.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
JoeSensei (Offline)
New to JF

08-24-2011, 07:18 AM

Actually, in England, there are times when I've done the opposite and walked around outside barefoot! It's nice to do in the Summer heat, I think

(And I'm not the only one here to do it!)
(#18 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

08-26-2011, 02:58 AM

Some Japanese companies also removed their shoes when entering certain buildings.

Japanese schools , traditional japanese ryokan, and some restaurants also will asked you to remove your shoes ..

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#19 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-26-2011, 11:00 AM

I wonder if sometimes feet are rather smelly when shoes are removed?
(#20 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-26-2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
I wonder if sometimes feet are rather smelly when shoes are removed?
I know that in schools, students wear what are known as wabaki (slippers/sandals) while on the premises.

I do remember visiting Ryoan-ji in Kyoto and I saw many sweat footprints from people on the temple's wooden floors....