JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
BrookeJade (Offline)
New to JF

Question Taking off shoes at the door? - 08-23-2011, 06:39 AM

I am from Canada and we take off our shoes at the door just like the Japanese and I was wondering maybe if we had got that from the Japanese? Im not a hundred percent sure about whether or not Americans take off their shoes at the door, but from what i've seen, they don't. But like I said I do not know. I don't even notice when I take off my shoes at the door, its second nature to me. I really couldn't imagine walking around all day with shoes on. In most schools where I live, shoes are even taken off in elementary schools. I have noticed this to be simular in Japan.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Kayci (Offline)
The odd Gaijin :3

Send a message via MSN to Kayci
08-23-2011, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrookeJade View Post
I am from Canada and we take off our shoes at the door just like the Japanese and I was wondering maybe if we had got that from the Japanese? Im not a hundred percent sure about whether or not Americans take off their shoes at the door, but from what i've seen, they don't. But like I said I do not know. I don't even notice when I take off my shoes at the door, its second nature to me. I really couldn't imagine walking around all day with shoes on. In most schools where I live, shoes are even taken off in elementary schools. I have noticed this to be simular in Japan.
I think a lot of cultures have a history of taking their shoes off.
Indians, Japanese, Chinese, Koreans, Arabs, some Europeans (I heard.)

So who knows.

Coffee prevents me from killing you.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
08-23-2011, 09:36 AM

As Kayci said, there are quite a few cultures that take their shoes off at the door. I have traveled around Canada several times, and this didn't stand out to me as something done in all parts of the country... But then again, I don't think I went into many private residences.

Chances are it is come held over cultural feature. What is the cultural background of the area where you live?

If it is somewhere far north, there is another possibility. I have read that communities in very cold areas that receive a lot of snow each year have a tendency to use stronger attempts to keep cold from being brought inside. This means removing shoes, coat, etc, in an area just inside the door and possibly going through a second door before reaching the living area.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
DragonNL (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-23-2011, 10:20 AM

The Dutch (in general) also take their shoes off at the door. Some people don't really care if you walk inside with your shoes on, but still it remains a habit.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
astrogaijin (Offline)
JF Regular

08-23-2011, 11:02 AM

I always take my shoes off. It's just what I was taught. I don't wear shoes in my own house so why would I in someone elses? But I would say that most people around me take them off. The only time I can think of that you don't take them off was if you were at a party or you were asked to keep them on.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-23-2011, 11:55 AM

Sometimes if we do not remove our shoes we take dirt or mud into the home-- which is not good at all.

even if there is a decent doormat-- that does not always clean the shoe well enough.

I think its a great idea to always remove shoes-- in Japan they do provide slippers to wear-- so its a sensible idea.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-23-2011, 12:26 PM

It's quite interesting that a fair few countries do this, I thought it was just unique to Japan and some areas of Europe. I know it's fairly common in the UK when entering a home, because it's just more comfortable and the weather being what it is it's very easy to track in mud and water, my friend's family even goes as far to provide slippers for the bathroom much like the Japanese, lol.

I think the difference seems to be that the Japanese remove their shoes for any building, not just the home. I mean I think most people outside of Asia would be rather appalled at a restaurant or public place asking one to remove their shoes, but in Japan it seems almost second-nature.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-23-2011, 01:08 PM

I did not know that shoes had to be removed in public buildings. Are slippers provided do you know?
(#9 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-23-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
I did not know that shoes had to be removed in public buildings. Are slippers provided do you know?
Well, to be fair I don't know if it's all public buildings, but I know with many restaurants they do, and I'm fairly certain for places such as schools and some workplaces . . . I'd be interested to know where the line is drawn too, like I can't imagine places like museums or cafes asking people to remove shoes, but you never know.

I don't think slippers are provided (from what I've seen), but it's best that someone who's been in Japan answers, because I only know from what I've read and seen on the media
(#10 (permalink))
Old
JoeSensei (Offline)
New to JF

08-23-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinMask View Post
I know it's fairly common in the UK when entering a home, because it's just more comfortable and the weather being what it is it's very easy to track in mud and water.
I'm from the UK and we're pretty laid back about it. If the shoes themselves aren't dirty people don't seem too worried about wearing shoes inside, though as you say, if the weather is bad then you do indeed take off your shoes! I pretty much always take mine off at my home or other peoples'. As you also say, it's just more comfortable. Other people are just as comfortable with or without, though.

As for public buildings in Japan, I never had to take my shoes off in shops or in family / fast food restaurants. However I did in most other kinds of restaurants. At work I did too. I remember at one kindergarten on one occasion stepping out of the genkan having forgotten to remove my outside shoes. The headteacher gave me a death-stare before I immediately realised my error!