JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#31 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-07-2011, 09:42 AM

I'm so over this issue.

The Japanese government continues to fund this dead industry why?

Are they stupid?

The country is in debt...

Recent tsunami and earthquakes have destroyed a lot of it...

The whaling industry runs at a LOSS and does nothing but provoke international condemnation...

Japan's goal is the return of commercial whaling but as we saw in the mid twentieth century... it can only end up bad for the environment.

Also.. to those that are FOR Japanese whaling... Do you trust big corporations with the environment? Because that's what you're permitting.

As I mentioned earlier... Japanese whaling runs at a loss and depends on government funding.

The incentive to overhunt is clear.

You see how Wall Street reacts to incentive with the financial crisis and US economic recession.

You see how BP reacts to incentive when it cuts corners on safety regulations.

If commercial whaling is reinstated you will see the Japanese whaling industry react to the incentive to turn a profit (business 101).

Naturally this means overhunting.

Last edited by Ronin4hire : 10-07-2011 at 09:53 AM.
(#32 (permalink))
Old
chiuchimu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-08-2011, 05:30 AM

^ finally some real arguments.

I don't think the government should do any form of subsidizing. Japan should whale in coastal waters only and the industry should be regulated like with the rest of the fishing industry. By Japan and not the IWC.

If the industry goes bankrupt. then that's the way it should be. If whaling proves profitable and sustainable in Japan then that's OK too.

The case of migratory whales that stop in japan should not be whaled until enough data about them is gathered.

(#33 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)

10-08-2011, 06:27 AM

I agree with Ronin but he hasn't really added anything to what has already been said. Why do they continue? It's not economic reasons, we all know that. I believe it's politically motivated. Anyone have any other reason?
(#34 (permalink))
Old
Ryzorian (Offline)

10-08-2011, 08:20 AM

Fox Hunting? You mean like where you have 50 hounds and 20 dudes on horses run down a small dog? Real Sporting of you, ol chap. By the way, Foxes are just regular predators that hunt to keep thier babies fed, unlike humans who hunt to keep thier trophy wall fed.
(#35 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-08-2011, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryzorian View Post
Fox Hunting? You mean like where you have 50 hounds and 20 dudes on horses run down a small dog? Real Sporting of you, ol chap. By the way, Foxes are just regular predators that hunt to keep thier babies fed, unlike humans who hunt to keep thier trophy wall fed.
It's kind of obvious you're not from England, or at least not the countryside . . . foxes are not regular predators who hunt only for food. Foxes will literally kill every single chicken in a coop, all in order just to take one chicken away for food, and the damage they do is short of sheer carnage. The farmers struggle sometimes - especially in the past - to keep foxes away and keep animals safe. Seeing as farmers need to keep a living, it's not just a 'sport' as such, but instead provides an actual purpose.

Fox hunting keeps fox numbers down, thus protecting the farms and the animals that exist on those farms. The kills are quick, and now - with the new laws - even quicker seeing as I believe farmers aren't allowed to kill on these hunts, but can shoot the foxes if they appear on their land, so a bullet is far more human than hounds tearing at the fox.

There is a 'sporting' aspect to it, and I know the general image of fox-hunting is a lot of posh people in red-coats hunting an 'innocent', cute fox . . . but there is a practical aspect to it. I fully support the farmers or country-side dwellers who hunt or exterminate foxes, and - for that matter - I support the city folk who do the same, because (let's face it) the foxes do a lot of damage in cities, too.

Sorry for the off-topic aside, but had to get that in.
(#36 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)

10-08-2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryzorian View Post
Fox Hunting?
You're responding to a spambot....
(#37 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

10-08-2011, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinMask View Post
It's kind of obvious you're not from England, or at least not the countryside . . . foxes are not regular predators who hunt only for food. Foxes will literally kill every single chicken in a coop, all in order just to take one chicken away for food, and the damage they do is short of sheer carnage. The farmers struggle sometimes - especially in the past - to keep foxes away and keep animals safe. Seeing as farmers need to keep a living, it's not just a 'sport' as such, but instead provides an actual purpose.

Fox hunting keeps fox numbers down, thus protecting the farms and the animals that exist on those farms. The kills are quick, and now - with the new laws - even quicker seeing as I believe farmers aren't allowed to kill on these hunts, but can shoot the foxes if they appear on their land, so a bullet is far more human than hounds tearing at the fox.

There is a 'sporting' aspect to it, and I know the general image of fox-hunting is a lot of posh people in red-coats hunting an 'innocent', cute fox . . . but there is a practical aspect to it. I fully support the farmers or country-side dwellers who hunt or exterminate foxes, and - for that matter - I support the city folk who do the same, because (let's face it) the foxes do a lot of damage in cities, too.

Sorry for the off-topic aside, but had to get that in.
also foxes would have to be destroyed if rabies entered this country because they would spread it very quickly.

A top marksman is required to shoot a fox immediately.

at present there is talk of having to cull badgers again because of the spread of TB in cattle. I am unsure how they cull them perhaps they gas them.

TB is a terrible disease-- needs to be avoided at all costs.
(#38 (permalink))
Old
Ryzorian (Offline)

10-08-2011, 11:57 PM

Geez people, look how casual you are about "culling badgers" and killing foxes straight away because they kill all the chickens. Now I'm not apposed to haveing a farmer protect his property from predators or disease. The point is, the Japanese are just as casual about killing whales and the Chinese the same with bears. So isn't this more about the pot calling the kettle black?
(#39 (permalink))
Old
pumpum (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-09-2011, 01:05 AM

i plead a little ignorance here, but would liek to ask why are the whales hunted> for food?

The things that come to those who wait are the things that are left by those who got there first !
(#40 (permalink))
Old
DragonNL (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-12-2011, 06:50 PM

The Japanese goverment says it's for research. But at this point it's a bit implausible. They more likely do it for food.
But whatever the reason, there is a maximum amount of whales they can catch and they stick to that agreement. So the SS has no right to intervene.

He drew a circle that shut me out --
Heretic, rebel, a thing to flout.
But love and I had the wit to win:
We drew a circle that took him in.