JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

Favourite train line? - 11-09-2011, 06:39 PM

For both the travelers and local, which train line is your favourite? And which train/trainline do you think can best represent your area and/Japan?

I always LOVE the yamanote line, even my license plate read Yamanote with a custom "yamanote" frame from cafepress.... I am having a company making a windshield banner for me that resembles the top led display (directional display) on the Yamanote train

Though, its not my favourite, my favouite is actually the Yokohama line for local train....

Shinkanzen, no specific line, but I love the N700 series....

what is yours???
(#2 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-09-2011, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwine View Post
For both the travelers and local, which train line is your favourite? And which train/trainline do you think can best represent your area and/Japan?

I always LOVE the yamanote line, even my license plate read Yamanote with a custom "yamanote" frame from cafepress.... I am having a company making a windshield banner for me that resembles the top led display (directional display) on the Yamanote train

Though, its not my favourite, my favouite is actually the Yokohama line for local train....

Shinkanzen, no specific line, but I love the N700 series....

what is yours???
As far as Shinkansen, the Tokaido line is my favorite, though I've only been on that one and the Tohoku line. I haven't been on an N700 Series-only 700 and 300. I hope to ride the N700 on the Sakura run to Hakata from Okayama.

When it come to city lines, the Yamanote is it for me. Lots of memories on that line were made. My ringtone is the Shinagawa chime (direction Tokyo) and the Yamanote "ding" chime is my e-mail notification ringtone.

I hope to get a few more Yamanote or JR souvenirs to add to those I got last year....
(#3 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

11-09-2011, 07:26 PM

i hate trains with passion... though i must say japanese railway kicks ass
(#4 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

11-09-2011, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBraden View Post
As far as Shinkansen, the Tokaido line is my favorite, though I've only been on that one and the Tohoku line. I haven't been on an N700 Series-only 700 and 300. I hope to ride the N700 on the Sakura run to Hakata from Okayama.

When it come to city lines, the Yamanote is it for me. Lots of memories on that line were made. My ringtone is the Shinagawa chime (direction Tokyo) and the Yamanote "ding" chime is my e-mail notification ringtone.

I hope to get a few more Yamanote or JR souvenirs to add to those I got last year....
Make sure you visit the Saitama railway museum then....

I too have JR tone as ring tone, but the departure and arrival ones inside the Hikari...
(#5 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)

11-09-2011, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Make sure you visit the Saitama railway museum then....
I thought about it, but I think I'm going to go to this one instead....

SCMAGLEV and Railway Park | Central Japan Railway Company

....unless there's something in Saitama I really should know about! Let me know!

btw, I downloaded a whopping 3.18 Gb file a while back which is a ride on the Yamanote Line, counterclockwise filmed from a camera inside the conductor's cabin. It's in 1080p and it is so clear, you'd swear you're there. Every now and then I pop it in my laptop and reminisce about my times in Tokyo....

Last edited by JohnBraden : 11-09-2011 at 11:32 PM.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

11-10-2011, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBraden View Post
I thought about it, but I think I'm going to go to this one instead....

SCMAGLEV and Railway Park | Central Japan Railway Company

....unless there's something in Saitama I really should know about! Let me know!

btw, I downloaded a whopping 3.18 Gb file a while back which is a ride on the Yamanote Line, counterclockwise filmed from a camera inside the conductor's cabin. It's in 1080p and it is so clear, you'd swear you're there. Every now and then I pop it in my laptop and reminisce about my times in Tokyo....
Can you share the link to the file?
(#7 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)

11-10-2011, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Can you share the link to the file?
Check your mail....
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)

11-10-2011, 03:32 AM

I like the Keihan line that runs from Osaka to Kyoto. Admittedly, most for the nostalgia value as it was the one I used most when i lived here before, but considering it goes from downtown Osaka to downtown Kyoto via a good number of places (tofukuji, gion, pontocho, fushimi-inari etc) its a good one to hop-on-hop-off and sightsee.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Atredies (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-10-2011, 05:04 AM

i think this is the main difference between new zealand and japan. train trips in japan are very pleasant while train trips in new zealand are so unpleasant.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

11-10-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atredies View Post
i think this is the main difference between new zealand and japan. train trips in japan are very pleasant while train trips in new zealand are so unpleasant.
Not just NZ, try comparing it to Toronto: Poor coverage, poor customer service, late train, old out of date train design, dirty interior. We only just started using presto card (Tap on tap off).. it just sucks...