JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Aota (Offline)
Sol Rebel

Send a message via AIM to Aota Send a message via MSN to Aota Send a message via Yahoo to Aota Send a message via Skype™ to Aota
08-08-2007, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterflyDemise View Post
Woot~ I love Japaense ghost, spirit, and demon stories! Though I haven't been able to read about many in the last year ^^;;

My favorite is one of the ones Aota mentioned: Kuchisake-onna. Didn't they make a movie for that one? >.> If yes, can someone tell me the title?
I'll check around for you, m'lady. There is a movie self-titled Kuchisake-onna. Along with the US title, Carve.

The color of the sala flower reveals the truth that is... To flourish is to fall. The proud do not endure.

Heaven or Hell, Let's Rock!

Like a passing dream on a night in Spring. The mighty fall at last, to be no more than dust before the wind.

Last edited by Aota : 08-08-2007 at 08:57 PM.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Aota (Offline)
Sol Rebel

Send a message via AIM to Aota Send a message via MSN to Aota Send a message via Yahoo to Aota Send a message via Skype™ to Aota
08-08-2007, 08:48 PM

I have a story about the futakuchi-onna. It's called The Woman Who Never Ate.

In a small village there lived a stingy miser who, because he could not bear the expense of paying for food for a wife, lived entirely by himself.

One day he met a woman who did not eat anything, whom he immediately took for his wife. Because she never ate a thing, and was still a hard worker, the old miser was extraordinarily thrilled with her, but on the other hand he began to wonder why his stores of rice were steadily decreasing.

One day the man only pretended to leave for work, but stayed behind to spy on his new wife. To his horror, he saw his wife’s hair part on the back of her head, her skull split wide revealing a gaping mouth. She unbound her hair, which reached out like tentacles to grasp the rice and shovel it into the hungry mouth.

The color of the sala flower reveals the truth that is... To flourish is to fall. The proud do not endure.

Like a passing dream on a night in Spring. The mighty fall at last, to be no more than dust before the wind.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Hisuwashi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-08-2007, 09:12 PM

Weird story. And nice topic.

There's a type of water demon called a Kappa (河童):

They're very strong. They have a sort of bowl on their head to store water in, from which they derive their incredible strength. To kill a Kappa, you must bow, and being a very polite creature it will bow back, and the water will run out, therefore the Kappa becomes seriously weakened.

They're very mischevious, they do things such as stealing crops, kidnapping children, and raping women. They like eating small children, but they will eat adults too.

(More information on Wikipedia.)

~ Wind Song ~
~ Windlied ~
~ Chant du vent ~

Last edited by Hisuwashi : 08-08-2007 at 09:15 PM.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
ButterflyDemise (Offline)
喜悦

08-08-2007, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aota View Post
I'm getting a lot of my info from Wikipedia, and from some urban legend sites. There's one that circulates in a lot of Japanese kindergartens. I think her name is Hanako-san? I think it's a version of Bloody
Can you please link to a few of the Urban Legend sites? I've had no luck finding any good ones ;_;

Quote:
I'll check around for you, m'lady. There is a movie self-titled Kuchisake-onna. Along with the US title, Carve.
Thank you dear~ *hugs* I'll look up both of those ^^

"Even if a leapord sleeps at the end of your bed like a kitten, it still has the power to tear out your throat."
(#15 (permalink))
Old
ButterflyDemise (Offline)
喜悦

08-08-2007, 09:24 PM

Quote:
I have a story about the futakuchi-onna. It's called The Woman Who Never Ate.

In a small village there lived a stingy miser who, because he could not bear the expense of paying for food for a wife, lived entirely by himself.

One day he met a woman who did not eat anything, whom he immediately took for his wife. Because she never ate a thing, and was still a hard worker, the old miser was extraordinarily thrilled with her, but on the other hand he began to wonder why his stores of rice were steadily decreasing.

One day the man only pretended to leave for work, but stayed behind to spy on his new wife. To his horror, he saw his wife’s hair part on the back of her head, her skull split wide revealing a gaping mouth. She unbound her hair, which reached out like tentacles to grasp the rice and shovel it into the hungry mouth.
That's one I haven't heard o.o Interesting

"Even if a leapord sleeps at the end of your bed like a kitten, it still has the power to tear out your throat."
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Sophieneechan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-08-2007, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisuwashi View Post
Weird story. And nice topic.

There's a type of water demon called a Kappa (河童):

They're very strong. They have a sort of bowl on their head to store water in, from which they derive their incredible strength. To kill a Kappa, you must bow, and being a very polite creature it will bow back, and the water will run out, therefore the Kappa becomes seriously weakened.

They're very mischevious, they do things such as stealing crops, kidnapping children, and raping women. They like eating small children, but they will eat adults too.

(More information on Wikipedia.)
The Kappa is used in Naruto, right?
Orochimaru has been doing these experiments on an island. A girl on the island(always walking around with bandages on her feet and arms) is a victim of these experiments. She's part Kappa.. If I'm not mistaken...

Sophie
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Aota (Offline)
Sol Rebel

08-08-2007, 09:31 PM

A pokemon was based off of a futakuchi-onna. It's called Mawile?

Yes, but kappas favorite food is cucumbers.

I use AOL search for what I do, m'lady. I haven't used Google in ages, actually. Er, that is, if you're using Google. All I do is type up J-horror, and Japanese urban legends. I also typed in toilet spirit to find out about Hanako-obake.

(#18 (permalink))
Old
Sophieneechan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-08-2007, 09:32 PM

Toilet spirit?
As in "Dassdraugen"?

Sophie
(#19 (permalink))
Old
Aota (Offline)
Sol Rebel

08-08-2007, 09:36 PM

No. But that is one, I suppose. But Hanako-obake is known as a toilet spirit. A Bloody Mary of later Eastern influence. Um, by the way, when did the story of Bloody Mary cultivate? Does anyone know?

(#20 (permalink))
Old
Sophieneechan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-08-2007, 09:44 PM

I have never really heard the story about Bloody Mary...
Gomen^^

Sophie