JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Magen (Offline)
New to JF

Where can I see some Yokai? - 03-15-2008, 02:45 AM

I will be traveling to Japan in late October and originally I wanted to go to Matsue (for Lafcadio Hearn) and then Sakaiminato (for Gegege of course!) to pay homage to what first got me interested in Japanese culture: yokai

However I wont be able to fit those two in my itinerary like I hoped and I will just be traveling to Tokyo and Kyoto. I've heard that Mt. Takao has a great shrine with statues dedicated to Tengu and I'd love to hit that up.

Is there any other sites or exhibits between, or in, Tokyo or Kyoto that are dedicated to Japanese mythology?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-15-2008, 03:17 AM

What a great question. You know, a lot of them are going to be out of the way places only locals might know about..."A kappa was spotted here" stuff. I know a spot in Nara is famous for fireflies and, supposedly, yokai, but I wish I knew the name.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Michigan90 (Offline)
JF Regular

03-15-2008, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magen View Post
I will be traveling to Japan in late October and originally I wanted to go to Matsue (for Lafcadio Hearn) and then Sakaiminato (for Gegege of course!) to pay homage to what first got me interested in Japanese culture: yokai

However I wont be able to fit those two in my itinerary like I hoped and I will just be traveling to Tokyo and Kyoto. I've heard that Mt. Takao has a great shrine with statues dedicated to Tengu and I'd love to hit that up.

Is there any other sites or exhibits between, or in, Tokyo or Kyoto that are dedicated to Japanese mythology?
The shrine you mentioned is probably Tengu-sha (天狗社) at Takaosan Yakuouin (高尾山薬王院). That's what I learned from the Japanese Wikipedia article about Yakuouin. Sorry, I have never been there. There's a statue of Tengu on the platform No. 3 and 4 of JR Takao Station.

Another Tengu-related place I know is a temple named Kuramadera (鞍馬寺) at Kurama, Kyoto. NHK aired a drama featuring Kurama Tengu who taught swordsmanship to Minamoto no Yoshitsune.

I don't have enough time to do a Wikipedia search now, but I know there are many places associated with animal yokai, such as Tanuki, Kitsune, Bakeneko, Inugami, Okami, etc. These creatures are everywhere.

There's a town named Shigaraki (信楽) in Shiga Prefecture. It is known for pottery statue of Tanuki, such as this one.

• 金色のちひさき鳥のかたちしていてふちるなり夕日の丘 に
  • 清水へ祇園をよぎる桜月夜こよひ逢ふひとみなうつくし き

- 与謝野晶子
  • いちはつの花咲きいでて我目には今年ばかりの春行かん とす
  • くれなゐの二尺伸びたる薔薇の芽の針やはらかに春雨の ふる

- 正岡子規
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Magen (Offline)
New to JF

03-15-2008, 03:33 PM

Thanks for the information! I'll have to look into the place in Kyoto as well.

I'd especially love to find more places with anything bakeneko/nekomatta related! ...I haven't had much luck...

Although I once stumbled across a flicker photo taken a Gyoza Stadium of a decoration that looked like a cross between a bakeneko and a rokurokubi (!?)
I really want to hit that place up as well, if just for the gyoza. mmmmm....
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Michigan90 (Offline)
JF Regular

03-16-2008, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the information! I'll have to look into the place in Kyoto as well.

I'd especially love to find more places with anything bakeneko/nekomatta related! ...I haven't had much luck...
Well, I've found out that there are mountains associated with Nekomata. One is named Nekomatayama in Toyama and the other is Nekomagatake in Fukushima. Nekomatayama is the leftmost peak in the attached picture.

Quote:
Although I once stumbled across a flicker photo taken a Gyoza Stadium of a decoration that looked like a cross between a bakeneko and a rokurokubi (!?)
I really want to hit that place up as well, if just for the gyoza. mmmmm....
You mean the Gyoza Stadium at Ikebukuro? These cats look like Manekineko to me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tateyama-nekomata.jpg (14.3 KB, 36 views)

- 与謝野晶子

- 正岡子規
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Magen (Offline)
New to JF

03-16-2008, 04:06 PM

This was the image I stumbled across:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1276/...ce459a.jpg?v=0

Although I have no idea what sort of thing that is, a spook house in Gyoza Stadium? Looks pretty awesome to me.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Michigan90 (Offline)
JF Regular

03-18-2008, 01:03 PM

Quote:
This was the image I stumbled across:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1276/...ce459a.jpg?v=0

Although I have no idea what sort of thing that is, a spook house in Gyoza Stadium? Looks pretty awesome to me.
Whoa, that looks kind of scary. Rokurokubi is a human yokai. Is this a new breed of bakeneko with a rokurokubi-like neck?

Enjoy!

- 与謝野晶子

- 正岡子規