JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
PrincessUnicorn (Offline)
Princess of Unicorns

03-26-2008, 03:12 PM

How unfortunate

I have bad knee's especially when I was 15 when I went to Florida, I had to constantly walk along the isle for the 9hour trip.

I am the Princess
(#22 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

03-26-2008, 04:13 PM

ouch that sucks, but you know what piss me off most is if you have to travel with an immature/selfish adult on your trip. I had one of those on my last visit to Japan, the loser sit like he is the Yokozuna taking up half my space, when I ask him if he can at least give me some of my room, he said "No, apparently i need a lot of room"....

but yeah, being stucked in the cabin is no fun.. i was lucky that the company paid for a couple of trip in the past so I get to fly business, but the last one I went as a tour guide for my friend, I had to fly econ
(#23 (permalink))
Old
tifa (Offline)
and they ask why kpop win

Send a message via MSN to tifa Send a message via Yahoo to tifa
03-26-2008, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveV View Post
<< I don't think you can get to Japan by train Chris lol.. That is if she lives in any part of Britain/America etc.

Flying is best. Yeaaa if it crashed you won't survive but nothing you can get into can guarantee survival. Not even your own house! Just take sleeping pills before you get on the plane and you'll be fineeee.

Boat .. Eh. Pirates ( They still exist ) and weather aren't exactly any fun.
hai hai true point!!! very true.... when storm come for u when your on a bout it like TITANIC all again...scary stuff

I LOVE k-pop...i adore j-rock...but my heart goes to?!! from shinee ,suju ,dbsk ,bigbang only loving you K-POP!!!!
(#24 (permalink))
Old
kevf (Offline)
New to JF

03-26-2008, 07:58 PM

In the old cold war days I travelled from the Uk to Japan on the Trans-Siberian Express. Ferry to Holland, train to Moscow travelling through Germany and Poland, then a few days on the Trans-Siberian to the east coast of Russia. Last leg of the trip was a 2 day 'cruise' to Yokohama.
Your trip would be close to 10 days (assuming you did'nt stop over in places like Warsaw and Moscow), so you definately can't be in a rush to go this route. Some of the scenery is fantastic, but a lot of it is a bit boring, the thing that made that part of the trip special for me was the people that I met who were also travelling to Japan via this route.
I did a little bit of searching on the internet before i posted, it looks like its still a viable travel option for you if you have the time.
(#25 (permalink))
Old
Princess of Unicorns

03-26-2008, 08:26 PM

Oh my gosh thats amazing!!

Thats what we were looking for! kevf thankyou hehe

Is there any sites to check it out on and stuff? Would it be easier to pay for the trips separtely like, buy the trip to Holland via ferry, and arrange the train to Moscow for the day after you arrive in Holland, or would it be better and cheaper to pay for a whole package?

Again thankyou so much!

I am the Princess
(#26 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

03-26-2008, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessUnicorn View Post
Basically my boyfriend is a little worried of flying, not about it crashing, but about the fact that there is a slim chance of survival if it does.

We really want to go to Japan next year, but I was wondering if there are any alternative ways of getting to Japan?

The best way I can suggest, which I was gonna do during my gap year was to go to Moscow by ship and train (pretty easy from london and doesn't cost too much), then from moscow, there is a trans siberian railway that can take you all the way to Beijing., and then from Beijing you can get a train to Shanghai, and from there there are a few boats that go to Japan (Kobe or Osaka).

So,

London-Brussels-Cologne-Moscow - - 2 days
Moscow - Beijing - - 7 days
Beijing - Shanghai - - over night (roughly 12 hours)
Shanghai - Japan - - roughly 48 hours

In total, you'd need a little less than 2 weeks to get to Japan.

I only recommend this option for people wanting to stay a while at each stop. Otherwise 2 weeks travelling is kinda pointless and expensive!

EDIT: ooops. I just saw what kevf just said. I didn't bother reading up to this page. Sorry!

AS for the questions you asked kevf. The only option you have is to buy tickets seperately! I've never found an agency that does a package like that. The only thing I can think of is if you ask the agency to buy all the tickets for you, that way, maybe they can get a discount! Otherwise, the only expensive thing would be the hotels and trans-siberian.

Last edited by noodle : 03-26-2008 at 08:49 PM.
(#27 (permalink))
Old
xYinniex (Offline)
Quit yo' jibber jabber!

03-26-2008, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessUnicorn View Post
We would be traveling from the UK.

Not sure how much really, we are willing to save hehe

I understand the risks are still in the other forms of travel, but atleast with sailing you would have more chance to get out, where as with planes you do have the impact and stuff to worry about.

travel to europe by eurostar and various trains to russia
trans siberian express from russia to china.
China, boat it to seoul, korea
from korea, boat it to japan.

"I'm sorry, but i must have given you the impression that I actually care about your opinions"
(#28 (permalink))
Old
kevf (Offline)
New to JF

03-26-2008, 09:31 PM

This should get you a good start, How to plan & book a journey on the Trans-Siberian Railway.
Also has details for boat to Japan and info for the London / Moscow leg.
Let me know if you need more help,
Cheers

Last edited by kevf : 03-26-2008 at 09:33 PM. Reason: watching TV (not reading what I have written before submitting!!)
(#29 (permalink))
Old
tommasi (Offline)
West Tokyo Native

03-26-2008, 09:49 PM

It seems like there are several cruises available from the UK to Japan.

You have to stop at other countries as well and you would probably have very limited time in Japan.

My suggestion is to contact exclusive travel agencies which offer cruises all over the world.

Or, take some short trips to nearby European cities so your b/f can feel more comfortable about flying and then come to Japan with First Class so it is more comfortable and good for your knee or whatever health problem you may have.

Good luck!!
(#30 (permalink))
Old
Princess of Unicorns

03-26-2008, 09:54 PM

I have just worked out roughly the pricing using that same site you linked Kevf, thankyou.

The price including ferry and train journeys -

London > moscow
Bejing > Shanghai
Shanghai > Bejing (the return journey)

Shanghai > Osaka via ferry

(I cant find the train journey for moscow to Bejing though )

= £1073

How amazing is that?! We are definatly going to do this!!! Thankyou!

I am the Princess