JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
ChameleonSaint (Offline)
New to JF

Where to buy Apple Computer while in Tokyo. - 08-16-2008, 09:18 AM

I am in Japan for 3 days and wanted to know in Tokyo where the best place is to purchase an Apple computer at a good price. Is the Apple Store in Ginza the only place or do they have cheaper stores.
From what I can tell they are much cheaper in Japan, then in Australia. Looking at the online prices it would be $150 cheaper.
I know the power cable will differ, but is the operating system in Japanese. I am guessing you would be able to set it at whatever language you wanted.

Thanks guys - any help appreciated.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
imiss (Offline)
Metrosexual Narcissist

08-16-2008, 08:58 PM

Few notes

Yes it will by default be set to Japanese but you can set it to any other language in minutes (ask me if you don't know how to)

Keyboard will obviously have Japanese characters in it in addition to English ones

A set of OEM international plugs for the power adapter will run you about 30USD (or maybe 20 in eBay)

Yes, if you want to buy in a store an official Apple Store will be cheapest

Doesn't matter Ginza or not, same price in all the Apple Stores. For a complete list of stores visit アップル - Apple Store - ストア一覧

Edit: Also, sorry, forgot to mention in original post. I would NOT recommend buying it now. I say that because in aprox a month the whole range may get a pretty good upgrade so you'll be getting alot more for your money. And if you want the current gen after the new ones come out, that'll be much much cheaper to buy...

Last edited by imiss : 08-16-2008 at 09:54 PM.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
ChameleonSaint (Offline)
New to JF

08-17-2008, 07:42 PM

Thanks for the reply I appreciate your time.
I am looking at a MacMini and they do not come with a keyboard anyway. It is a gift for my Mother and she already has an English keyboard she can use with it.
I did read on MacRumors about the updates coming soon - cross my fingers it happens before October when I go.
I only mentioned Ginza as it is near where I am staying.
Again thanks for your time - looks like a plan.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
imiss (Offline)
Metrosexual Narcissist

08-18-2008, 01:39 AM

Ah... the Mini, almost forgot about it... its been begging for an upgrade for years now. Oh well, who knows, maybe it'll be updated along w/ the MB/MBP - I certainly hope so.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
miamou (Offline)
New to JF

08-19-2008, 06:44 PM

Hi,
i think that you can buy Apple computer at Sakuraya's shop. You can find them at Shibuya, Shinjuku and Akhiabara. Sakuraya will give you a promotion card very usefull if you want to buy something else. With this card each yen give you some credits card that you can use with an other purchase.

It's a good tip
(#6 (permalink))
Old
ChameleonSaint (Offline)
New to JF

08-20-2008, 08:21 AM

imiss: Yes I have an 24" iMac myself but the Mac Mini will be great for my Mother. I will hang out as long as I can for this update.

miamou Thanks for the tip, I will check them out while I am there. I will be going to Shinjuku and Akhiabara - as I want to see all the great computer stuff they have.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
08-20-2008, 08:36 AM

Actually, you can get a number of Apple products for well below their official Apple store prices at major electronic retailers.
Apple Store charges for the sheer experience of buying in an Apple Store. :P

Try the major electronics chains - Bic Camera and Yodobashi are known to sell well below normal retail price (which the Apple Store never drops below). You just have to catch them during a sale - usually around bonus season. Same with Yamada, Eiden, Kojima and Compmart.

Another path is to check Kakaku.com. They often have some very good deals, especially on older models.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
imiss (Offline)
Metrosexual Narcissist

08-20-2008, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
Actually, you can get a number of Apple products for well below their official Apple store prices at major electronic retailers.
Apple Store charges for the sheer experience of buying in an Apple Store. :P
iuno, you can find an occasional good deal but more often then not it won't be any cheaper then in the official store since Apple is so reluctant to give any sorts of major discounts to their resellers...

Quote:
Another path is to check Kakaku.com. They often have some very good deals, especially on older models.
and speaking of older models, don't forget Apple's own website where they sell refurbished units - way cheaper then they originally were and w/ warranty, anything that was broken replaced, alot of time new cases (if old ones were scratched) etc...
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-20-2008, 01:33 PM

Bic Camera sells Apple computers, and they have them available with English or Japanese keyboards. The best Bic Camera store is in Yurakucho, which is the station next door to Tokyo Station.