Old
Jnekolove19 (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to Jnekolove19
12-08-2008, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsuneko View Post
As much as you can!

But, seriously, you should be able to ask for and understand directions, know how to ask for help (police, doctor), and enough of the counting system to be able to shop. Also, reading Japanese would be a big big help too, of course!

If you are going to Tokyo, there are bilingual rail maps that give place names in Japanese and romaji. Amazon.com carries the Tokyo City Atlas: A Bilingual Guide (3rd Ed.) by Kodansha International. I don't have it myself but was planning to get it. Check it out, it may be helpful.
Thanks that gives me a goal before I go

Also is there anything else I should know about living in Tokyo?
(#22 (permalink))
Old
Kitsuneko (Offline)
Analog Dinosaur

12-08-2008, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnekolove19 View Post
Thanks that gives me a goal before I go

Also is there anything else I should know about living in Tokyo?
One piece of advice I got from our tour guide was to keep a paper with your address in Japan (or if you are staying at a hotel, the hotel business card) on you if you don't know the area too well. That way if you get lost, you at least have that to help you get home.

"And I ain't in it for the power,
And I ain't in it for my health
I ain't in it for the glory of anything at all
And I sure ain't in it for the wealth
But I'm in it till it's over and I just can't stop
If you wanna get it done,
You gotta do it yourself..."

Meat Loaf, Everything Louder Than Everything Else
(#23 (permalink))
Old
Jnekolove19 (Offline)
JF Regular

12-22-2008, 07:45 PM

I just wanted to thank everyone for the different tips and pieces of advice.

Also I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of places to see or things to do while in Japan that they might want to share.
(#24 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-23-2008, 08:08 PM

Tokyo is a huge place and holds the population of Canada in an area smaller than Research Triangle Park.

What kind of interests do you have? Nightlife? Amusement parks? Sightseeing in traditional places?
(#25 (permalink))
Old
Jnekolove19 (Offline)
JF Regular

12-31-2008, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicytuna View Post
Tokyo is a huge place and holds the population of Canada in an area smaller than Research Triangle Park.

What kind of interests do you have? Nightlife? Amusement parks? Sightseeing in traditional places?
Mostly Sightseeing and a little nightlife, anything really though if you think it shouldn't be missed I'm open to the suggestion.
(#26 (permalink))
Old
Jnekolove19 (Offline)
JF Regular

been a while but i'm leace for japan in a month and a half - 06-26-2009, 04:34 PM

Hey everyone it's been a while since I've posted (been busy getting plans ready for Japan) but its getting down to crunch time :-) and i'm lovin it. Just wanted to see if anyone had any news or info they wanted to throw at me before I go. I'll be studying and living in Tokyo :-).
Thanks again for the info already given to me
(#27 (permalink))
Old
Jnekolove19 (Offline)
JF Regular

07-06-2009, 08:40 PM

Paperwork so much paperwork, I don't think people realize (much like i didn't) that there are forms for everything, traveling to another country is hard. Though I'm not complaining when the end result is living and studying in another country (esp. Japan)
(#28 (permalink))
Old
Chile (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to Chile Send a message via Skype™ to Chile
07-09-2009, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnekolove19 View Post
Paperwork so much paperwork, I don't think people realize (much like i didn't) that there are forms for everything, traveling to another country is hard. Though I'm not complaining when the end result is living and studying in another country (esp. Japan)
Jneko, I was very interested to read about Temple university. Someone from another thread referred me to it also. Once you have arrived at your destination, I hope you will post some of your experiences!

Would you mind sharing some advice about the paperwork? I am also preparing to start school in Japan. I'm in the earliest stages, but I always seem to miss little details when it comes to the bureaucracy of these types of endeavors. Getting into an American college was tough enough for me. xD
Are there any tips that you might have?
(#29 (permalink))
Old
Jnekolove19 (Offline)
JF Regular

07-10-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chile View Post
Jneko, I was very interested to read about Temple university. Someone from another thread referred me to it also. Once you have arrived at your destination, I hope you will post some of your experiences!

Would you mind sharing some advice about the paperwork? I am also preparing to start school in Japan. I'm in the earliest stages, but I always seem to miss little details when it comes to the bureaucracy of these types of endeavors. Getting into an American college was tough enough for me. xD
Are there any tips that you might have?
Hey, yeah I do plan to post while in Japan Are you headed for Temple? The main thing I've learned in this wild experience is to read and re-read everything. You can't read it enough I feel, I've read documents once and missed things and then found them once I re-read the document. A lot of the paperwork I've had to fill out is government stuff so it's important to have it right, I found out if there is anything you are unsure of you can normally find the answer either on the internet or from a counselor, if you don't know for sure don't put it down. Well if there is anything else you want to know just let me know. :-)
(#30 (permalink))
Old
Jnekolove19 (Offline)
JF Regular

07-10-2009, 03:11 PM

I was thinking and I was wondering what are some big NO NOs (or don't dos) while in Japan?
ex: cultural, social, or just general