JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
MSTRKRFT (Offline)
New to JF

Will I be treated differently in Japan? - 11-09-2009, 12:27 AM

So I'm going to college next year, and planning on studying International Relations, with a possible minor in the Japanese Language/East Asian Area Studies. Basically going to a college where studying abroad is something that almost every undergrad does, much less an international relations major, and I'm really excited and interested in visiting/living in Japan.

I'm actually considering visiting through a foreign exchange program over the summer, to get a first-hand taste of the country, and I have a burning question that I've been dying to stamp out for a while now.

I know racial discrimination exists basically everywhere you go in the world, but I've read that it can be pretty bad in Japan, especially against Zainichi Koreans.

I'm 1/2 Caucasian and 1/2 Korean, and was wondering if my ethnic identity would grant me discriminatory treatment in public places while in Japan. My last name is Italian, "Giaramito", if that makes any difference, and the only real way someone would be able to tell if my half is Korean would be to know my ethnic background, since I look kind of neutral as a halfie, or if they have an overly heightened sense of racial intuition. The numerous times I've visited Hawaii, random Japanese tourists would come up to me asking me questions in Japanese, expecting me to be able to answer, so I guess that would be my proof to the previous statement. However, the same stands for the Koreans I've run into as well.

Do you recommend I just either A) Not mention my ethnic heritage; B) Lie to my host family if they ask (which they probably will) and say that I'm half Japanese, (and hope they can't tell); or C) Not worry about it at all, because most Japanese aren't bigoted these days, and the things I read were grossly over-generalized.

I'm hoping for C.
I think I'm worrying way too much about this.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
11-09-2009, 12:52 AM

I say C.
You`re not Zainichi Korean, and never will be. You`re likely not even a Korean national (If you have dual citizenship, I apologize.)
And in reality, true discrimination against those who are is quite small. It`s still more than it should be, of course, but I`d say that it`s far far less than the stories would have you believe. Those who complain are always much more vocal than those who do not. Those who hate Koreans are 5000 times more vocal than those who do not, just as those who have experienced real discrimination are 5000 times more vocal than those who have not. Both sides seem to be a very vocal minority.
There will likely always be some difference in your treatment because you simply are not Japanese - but whether you interpret this as racism, discrimination, fascination, ignorance, etc is up to you.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
komitsuki (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-09-2009, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
(If you have dual citizenship, I apologize.)
Assuming that one of MSTRKRFT's parents is a South Korean, it's impossible to have dual citizenship. South Korea is extremely "infamous" for not accepting dual citizenship.

JapanForum's semi-resident amateur linguist.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
11-09-2009, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by komitsuki View Post
Assuming that one of MSTRKRFT's parents is a South Korean, it's impossible to have dual citizenship. South Korea is extremely "infamous" for not accepting dual citizenship.
I did not know this. Thanks for the info. Japan is also one of the "infamous" countries not allowing dual citizenship.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
trunker (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-09-2009, 03:39 AM

They will just assume that you are from where ever it is you are coming from, ie if you fly over from the US, then you're american, UK british, etc, etc.. they will think of this first, and you will be categorized as such, and then as a second thought they might be curious about your heritage.

in which case follow C.

and while you may have korean blood you would still be first and foremost american or british or whatever, so dont worry about it, tell the truth and enjoy your trip.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
sarasi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-09-2009, 04:51 AM

I personally know people who have both Korean and US citizenship, so there are obviously exceptions.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
komitsuki (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-09-2009, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarasi View Post
I personally know people who have both Korean and US citizenship, so there are obviously exceptions.
They're mostly doing this in secret.

JapanForum's semi-resident amateur linguist.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
CrystalDoll (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to CrystalDoll
Wink 11-09-2009, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSTRKRFT View Post
So I'm going to college next year, and planning on studying International Relations, with a possible minor in the Japanese Language/East Asian Area Studies. Basically going to a college where studying abroad is something that almost every undergrad does, much less an international relations major, and I'm really excited and interested in visiting/living in Japan.

I'm actually considering visiting through a foreign exchange program over the summer, to get a first-hand taste of the country, and I have a burning question that I've been dying to stamp out for a while now.

I know racial discrimination exists basically everywhere you go in the world, but I've read that it can be pretty bad in Japan, especially against Zainichi Koreans.

I'm 1/2 Caucasian and 1/2 Korean, and was wondering if my ethnic identity would grant me discriminatory treatment in public places while in Japan. My last name is Italian, "Giaramito", if that makes any difference, and the only real way someone would be able to tell if my half is Korean would be to know my ethnic background, since I look kind of neutral as a halfie, or if they have an overly heightened sense of racial intuition. The numerous times I've visited Hawaii, random Japanese tourists would come up to me asking me questions in Japanese, expecting me to be able to answer, so I guess that would be my proof to the previous statement. However, the same stands for the Koreans I've run into as well.

Do you recommend I just either A) Not mention my ethnic heritage; B) Lie to my host family if they ask (which they probably will) and say that I'm half Japanese, (and hope they can't tell); or C) Not worry about it at all, because most Japanese aren't bigoted these days, and the things I read were grossly over-generalized.

I'm hoping for C.
I think I'm worrying way too much about this.

Hi. I think C should be the best you should do. First of all, just respect what you are. You are 50% Italian and 50% Korean, so what? Nothing wrong and nothing can be worried. Just be yourself. Enjoy the coming life sincerely in Japan, you will find actually Japanese people are quite friendly.

I am a Chinese, I went to Japan 3 years ago. The people and the cities impressed me so much. I think there is no problem to you. Don't worry.

Good luck!!!
(#9 (permalink))
Old
ushkana (Offline)
New to JF

help me! - 11-09-2009, 05:44 PM

Okay. I am American. I am native American,Italian , Mexican, and French. I am palnning on staying over there for a while and I am wondering if I will have problems being accepted over there. Help.......
(#10 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-09-2009, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ushkana View Post
Okay. I am American. I am native American,Italian , Mexican, and French. I am palnning on staying over there for a while and I am wondering if I will have problems being accepted over there. Help.......
The Mexican part may cause some problems.

No, seriously, what's with all of these questions? Racial mix, hair color, etc.

Why should you have to hide your nationality or dye your hair to please someone? Just be yourself!