JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Enea84 (Offline)
New to JF

Your opinion on a 3 weeks trip to Japan - 01-08-2009, 03:37 AM

Hello there

Here is the thing: I am preparing a 3 weeks trip to japan at the very beginning of April and I would like to get your feebdack on the different cities I have planned to see.
Do not hesitate to tell me it seems to you I am planning too much for 3 weeks

Tokyo, 10 days with trips to:
  • Nikko
  • Yokohama
  • Kamakura
  • Mont Fuji
Kyoto, 5 days, with trips to:
  • Nara
  • Himeji
  • Osaka
Then I have big doubts on the last 6-7 days that remain. I absolutely don't know in which city I should sleep visit the following cities:
  • Kanazawa
  • Shirakawa
  • Takayama
  • Kamikochi
> Would you recommand me Nagoya?
  • Okayama
  • Kurashiki
  • Miyajima
> Would you recommand me Hiroshima?

Thanks in advance for your kind help
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-08-2009, 03:48 AM

What kinds of things are you interested in?

I took a friend who majored in Buddhism in college, and after about 10 temples, each unique in their own right, between Tokyo, Hyogo, Nara, and Kyoto, he was pretty tired of going to temples. Make sure you have a variety of things going on.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

01-08-2009, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enea84 View Post
Hello there

Here is the thing: I am preparing a 3 weeks trip to japan at the very beginning of April and I would like to get your feebdack on the different cities I have planned to see.
Do not hesitate to tell me it seems to you I am planning too much for 3 weeks

Tokyo, 10 days with trips to:
  • Nikko
  • Yokohama
  • Kamakura
  • Mont Fuji
Kyoto, 5 days, with trips to:
  • Nara
  • Himeji
  • Osaka
Then I have big doubts on the last 6-7 days that remain. I absolutely don't know in which city I should sleep visit the following cities:
  • Kanazawa
  • Shirakawa
  • Takayama
  • Kamikochi
> Would you recommand me Nagoya?
  • Okayama
  • Kurashiki
  • Miyajima
> Would you recommand me Hiroshima?

Thanks in advance for your kind help
Miyajima is worth seeing, not so much Hiroshima, not unless if you are interested to see the remains from the blast and to see the A-Bomb museum.

How do you planned on spending the first 10 days? I am guessing you will need about:
- 3 days total between Yokohama and Mount Fuji (Assuming you are going to Hakone and want to spend time at a onsen resort)
- 1 day Nikko
- 1 day Kamakura

That will give you 5 days to travel around the tokyo ward, including the standard Ginza, Roppongi, Akiba, Harajuku, Shinjuku, Shibuya, Odaiba, Ueno, Asakusa....... Should be enough

5 days is NOT going to cut it for Nara, Osaka and Himeji.

Nara is already almost 1 full day, you need another full day at Himeji, that will leave 3 for Osaka, do you plan on going to Kyoto? You will need at least 2 days in Kyoto
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Enea84 (Offline)
New to JF

01-09-2009, 03:17 AM

First of all, many thanks for your good advices.
I decided to drop Okayama and Kurashiki because I kind of felt it wouldn't worth it after all.

So here is the update:

Tokyo: 5 days to see the city
Daytrips from Tokyo to : Nikko, Kamakura, Hakone, Mount Fuji, Yokohama = 5 days

Kyoto: 3 days
Daytrips from Kyoto (using the train):
Nara, Osaka, Himeji
Kanazawa, Shirakawa, Takayama, (Kamikochi, if opened)
Miyajima, Hiroshima (not sure yet) = 9 days

All in all, that would make 3 weeks.
It seems pretty good to me now, what do you think?
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Rogozhin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-09-2009, 05:22 AM

I didn`t find much at Okayama.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Raisthlin (Offline)
JF Regular

01-09-2009, 06:33 AM

doh, nevermind i didnt see your last post. but whatever...maybe it will help you anyway...

i went to most of the place you mentionned and here is my humble opinion.

I would spend:

7 days in Tokyo and the surroundings. Actually 5 days in Tokyo and the remaining 2 as side trip to Nikko, Kamakura, etc.) 10 days sure would be nice but i think that you should spend equal time in Kyoto since it has so much to offer. 5 busy day in Tokyo should be enuff as a first trip. Make it 6 days if your that much into huge metropolis and skip Nikko (which as some of the nicest temple ive ever seen in my life but doesnt have much more)

7 days in Kyoto and the surroundings. 5 days in Kyoto and 2 day trip

2 days in Osaka. Foods, nightclubs, peoples and lots of funs.

2 days in the Kamikochis area which includes Takayama and Matsumoto. (dunno about kamikochis in april since i hiked thru it in early summer from Matsumoto to Takayama)

These are usually side trips but i would rather use them as "arrive early -sleepover" checkpoints between major cities:

1 day to visit either Yamadera and Matsushima together from Tokyo or Nara, Uji and Fushimi-Inari from Kyoto. Both of these are amazing sights.

Have fun planning your trip. i know i had a lot.

Last edited by Raisthlin : 01-09-2009 at 06:35 AM.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

01-09-2009, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raisthlin View Post
doh, nevermind i didnt see your last post. but whatever...maybe it will help you anyway...

i went to most of the place you mentionned and here is my humble opinion.

I would spend:

7 days in Tokyo and the surroundings. Actually 5 days in Tokyo and the remaining 2 as side trip to Nikko, Kamakura, etc.) 10 days sure would be nice but i think that you should spend equal time in Kyoto since it has so much to offer. 5 busy day in Tokyo should be enuff as a first trip. Make it 6 days if your that much into huge metropolis and skip Nikko (which as some of the nicest temple ive ever seen in my life but doesnt have much more)

7 days in Kyoto and the surroundings. 5 days in Kyoto and 2 day trip

2 days in Osaka. Foods, nightclubs, peoples and lots of funs.

2 days in the Kamikochis area which includes Takayama and Matsumoto. (dunno about kamikochis in april since i hiked thru it in early summer from Matsumoto to Takayama)

These are usually side trips but i would rather use them as "arrive early -sleepover" checkpoints between major cities:

1 day to visit either Yamadera and Matsushima together from Tokyo or Nara, Uji and Fushimi-Inari from Kyoto. Both of these are amazing sights.

Have fun planning your trip. i know i had a lot.
agree to most of your points, except for Kyoto. 5 days in Kyoto is overkill. I was able to see all the major temples, gion AND shopping district in 3 days. I would imagine 5 days can also include Nara and Fushimi Inarai. Actually, I did Nara and Fushimi Inari in 1 day
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Raisthlin (Offline)
JF Regular

01-10-2009, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwine View Post
agree to most of your points, except for Kyoto. 5 days in Kyoto is overkill. I was able to see all the major temples, gion AND shopping district in 3 days. I would imagine 5 days can also include Nara and Fushimi Inarai. Actually, I did Nara and Fushimi Inari in 1 day
I also did Nara, Kamakura and Fushimi Inari on the same day and was satisfied. I agree you could see most of the major sights of Kyoto in 3 days but there is also a lot more to see. It all depends on what is it you fancy most.

But if your a culture/japan history addict like me you might consider staying longer. For me 6 days was barely enuff in Kyoto. Then again, i spent 1 complere day exploring some monkey mountains, residential area (with castle like houses) and bamboo forest nearby and another one in a neverending Matsuri. I wish i visited the city a bit more as i spent most of my time visiting shrines and temples. But ill go back anyway.

have fun
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Enea84 (Offline)
New to JF

01-10-2009, 03:00 AM

Raisthlin, I never heard of Yamadera / Matsushima / Uji and Fushimi-Inari before
I'll take a look at it

Many thanks for your replies!
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Raisthlin (Offline)
JF Regular

01-10-2009, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enea84 View Post
Raisthlin, I never heard of Yamadera / Matsushima / Uji and Fushimi-Inari before
I'll take a look at it

Many thanks for your replies!

no problems. here is some links to pictures i took on these place. (scroll down to see the gallery, text is in french, and open any images to enlarge them. Then you can click on the images border to navigate)

Yamadera and Matsushima

Fushimi-Inari One of my favorite place.

Raisthlin