LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

01-28-2009, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutebrutal View Post
a place in Asakusa, called Asakusa Smile. they have a website if you want to check it out, they've been really helpful and friendly so far.

theres also a place called 'Tokyo Hostel' that charges 2,000JPY a night, period. but they don't have mixed dorms, and since it's my honeymoon i'd rather not spend a week on a separate floor to my hubby. but if you go with a mate of the same gender it'd be cheap and ideal! as long as you don't mind basic.
I completely missed calculated... 133 a week means about 20 a night?
(#12 (permalink))
Old
absolutebrutal (Offline)
New to JF

01-29-2009, 02:02 PM

do you mean GBP or USD? i'm in the UK so it's about half of USD (example, if something is 100 USD that makes it around 50 GBP, sort of).

in UK money it's costing us about 130 for 7 nights.

::good try but not this time::
(#13 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

01-29-2009, 02:04 PM

Quote:
do you mean GBP or USD? i'm in the UK so it's about half of USD (example, if something is 100 USD that makes it around 50 GBP, sort of).

in UK money it's costing us about 130 for 7 nights.
Hmm.. ok, my original plans won't work then.. the hotel i was suggesting is about 40-60 USD a night.. definitely not 130 for 7 nights.....

I am also having my honeymoon in Japan.. so far my itinerary is cross country from Kyushu to Tokyo (Including Saitama and Nikko), and it looks like it will cost us a total of about 8000 US, including flight, accommodations, food and other transportation... and some attractions and entrance fee
(#14 (permalink))
Old
jewelpre (Offline)
JF Regular

01-29-2009, 02:43 PM

Isn't 120$ too much for a day?

MyClozet.
Share for fashion statement, sell, buy and swap your
clothes and accessories.
MyClozet is cool place for fashion savvy people
(#15 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

01-29-2009, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewelpre View Post
Isn't 120$ too much for a day?
A week, not a day.... and its easy to spend 120 a day in Japan if the trip is not planned out properly, transportation will chew off a chunk
(#16 (permalink))
Old
aleighwhite (Offline)
New to JF

01-29-2009, 09:30 PM

ooooo, I did not convert the pounds to dollars. But still, for a week, that's pretty nice. Thanks!
(#17 (permalink))
Old
absolutebrutal (Offline)
New to JF

01-30-2009, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwine View Post
Hmm.. ok, my original plans won't work then.. the hotel i was suggesting is about 40-60 USD a night.. definitely not 130 for 7 nights.....

I am also having my honeymoon in Japan.. so far my itinerary is cross country from Kyushu to Tokyo (Including Saitama and Nikko), and it looks like it will cost us a total of about 8000 US, including flight, accommodations, food and other transportation... and some attractions and entrance fee

our budget works out about the same then. 8000USD is roughly 4000GBP
(but we've already sorted our flights, so that is a completely separate expense. the 4000GBP is solely for our time inside Japan.) so that's pretty cool, i think it's just about right.

thanks for all the info guys!

::good try but not this time::
(#18 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

01-30-2009, 02:15 PM

Quote:
our budget works out about the same then. 8000USD is roughly 4000GBP
(but we've already sorted our flights, so that is a completely separate expense. the 4000GBP is solely for our time inside Japan.) so that's pretty cool, i think it's just about right.

thanks for all the info guys!
Ok, see if you can take a bus tour to Kyoto.. its definitely worth your time.... There are a couple of agencies around Shinuya (beside the JR ticket office near the south exit) that maybe able to offer you some help
(#19 (permalink))
Old
nickm (Offline)
New to JF

02-02-2009, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwine View Post
A one week rail pass isn't too expensive, maybe if you get a one week rail pass, that will give you the option for Japan.

I would suggest to "go cheap" on hotels, go down to something like a business hotel, that cost you around 35-60 USD a night, so that will shave some cost. With 2 people, you are looking at around 840 USD for the week. If my math is correct, you save around 30000 yen a week

That said, you probably can very well make 1 week (or even 10 days) trip to Kensai area....I am in the midst of planning out my own honeymoon for October/November, here is what I have for the Kensai part (Still planning out my Tokyo side, I am planning for 18 days total):

Day 1 - Hakata
Day 2 - Miyajima
Day 3 - Kobe, Himeji
Day 4 - Osaka
Day 5 - Osaka
Day 6 - Kyoto
Day 7 - Kyoto
Day 8 - Kyoto
Day 9 - Nagoya, Hakone
Day 10 - Hakone
Day 11 - Yokohama

Something like that... I have budgeted around 6000 USD for the 2 of us for this trip....
Although it looks possible, your trip looks very ambitious. How will you start your trip in Hakata? Are you flying there from Kansai Kokusai? Make sure to eat some ramen... I have good memories of Hakata. Some of the nicest people and cutest girls I met in Japan.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
Housetek (Offline)
is a big dork

Send a message via AIM to Housetek Send a message via MSN to Housetek Send a message via Skype™ to Housetek
02-04-2009, 03:26 AM

i've spent nearly 8grand a month for a time.

then when my money started to dwindle down i lived on around 2 grand a month including rent.

it all depends on what you do and how you do it.

first timers always end up spending waay more then they plan due to the fact they wana bring lots of stuff back and buy every thing up.

my advice is stay within your price range you mentioned and give your self a lil space for spur the moment spending.

avoid using taxis cuz a 15 dollar taxi ride can be a easy 1.60 subway trip.

get accustomed to the railway system and such first few days and less dependent on the cabs

in short, your budget is absolutely doable.

there were times were i was staying in 20 dollar a night hostels and eating 300 yen meals at yoshinoya for a while haha. but thats what i get for spending most of my money on booze and partying

food- plenty of places to eat for cheaper if you wana save money. but spend at least a few nights enjoying the best japan has to offer its worth it.

visiting shrines and such is super inexpensive. be sure not snap pictures in places where its inappropriate.

MR.JF & Jf God
heres a personal Ty to all who voted and participated http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ER8CsVuTNY

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=housetek
please check out the videos and subscribe!

feel free to pm/aim/msn me for any Q's on Japan